Country
    Cambodia

Re: Wild Cardinal Tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinals_Pride View Post
    I ever bought quite a handful of them but no luck. I was captivated by their deep body despite I had a tankful of them swimming around.
    No luck as in no fry or all sent to heaven?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinals_Pride View Post
    I ever bought quite a handful of them but no luck. I was captivated by their deep body despite I had a tankful of them swimming around.
    Let me share my experience. I lost ~100 cardinals before I finally got them to survive.
    The turning point for me is to use a UV filter to clean the water for 2 weeks followed by using a good cansister filter to improve the water quality.
    And bingo I have not lost a single cardinal after this change.

The health of Cardinals as found in shops or from wholesalers varies greatly.
    I used to own a fish shop and I always bought wild Cardinals by the box(~300) from the cheapest suppliers I could find. I expected them to be run down and very emaciated and I was rarely disappointed. I had the luxery of a spacious back room where i quarantined all incoming stock and bred my Discus.
    I found that if the newly recieved cardinals received generous feedings of newly hatched Artemia and sometimes it was necessary to treat them I could reduce my losses to a few per cent. This even though i was working with fish in such poor condition. It allowed me to make much more money than if i merely put them in the healthy sales tanks and passed them on to unsuspecting customers only to have them return unhappy because all their Cardinals died. I let my competitor do that.
    The entire period they spend from the day they are caught in the wild until making that last trip to your tank is so stressful that many fish can not survive that last change. take your time and quarantine your Cardinals as I have explained and you will find they live and can do so for quite a few years.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Was at Rainbow Tengah last month and saw a paper written that the cardinal is from Indonesia, I ask the sales staff (China national) and he mention that Cardinal in Singapore todays are mainly tank breed and brought in from Indonesia. I told him not true and he insist that yes it is, as wild caught is more ex than tank breed if not how to get this kind of price for cardinal compare to fews year back.

Can anyone confirm this as I have did a search in the net but nothing was mention that cardinal in Singapore are from Indonesia.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

Cardinal tetras are so expensive here in Canada, $4 each, they were on sale once for $10 for 4 cardinal tetras.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12