Images
    Country
    Singapore

"UP" reactor questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have seen two kind of reactors from "UP". One with balls and the other one with ceramics. The ceramics may be the one most of us call it "Turbo-Jet". Has anyone tried both of these? Please advise which is better. Thanks.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Juz my opinion,

The 2 reactors mentioned will be quite the same. So, juz get the one that is most look appealing to you.

BTW, does the price differ alot?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/29/2002 6:11:39 PM

Juz my opinion,

The 2 reactors mentioned will be quite the same. So, juz get the one that is most look appealing to you.

BTW, does the price differ alot?
    ----------------
    The "turbo-jet" type seem smaller and it is more expensive than the ball type.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Like I said earlier, get the one that is most appealing/nicer to you. The smaller one maybe better as it won't take up space in your tank but you may not want to pay the price. Also, others like the ball turning effect..... the ball won't make much difference in diffusion sooooooo..... up to you lah.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh yeah, I'm actually using the one with the ceramic and I've added in one ball.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just got the UP 401 ($12+) for my 2 ft tank. Very effective. But my balls stopped turning (pun intended) because my DIY feeds more CO2 than it can dissolve and that pushes the waterline downwards and the balls stopped floating and rotating. I'm not worried about this as no CO2 is wasted. When my DIY CO@ production slowed down towards the end, this trapped CO@ will be useful. You may wonder how come my DIY CO2 has enough pressure to push the waterline downwards towards the midium depth of my 2 ft tank. I found out a way to "pressurised" DIY CO2. I feed the CO2 into the outlet of my pumphead before going into the reactor. This way, the water will "suck" the CO2 into the reactor and the water itself is pressured by the pump and not the CO2 container.

My Riccia bubbles like crazy and fine-leaved plants like Egeria is growing very fast.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/31/2002 1:26:09 PM

I just got the UP 401 ($12+) for my 2 ft tank. Very effective. But my balls stopped turning (pun intended) because my DIY feeds more CO2 than it can dissolve and that pushes the waterline downwards and the balls stopped floating and rotating. I'm not worried about this as no CO2 is wasted. When my DIY CO@ production slowed down towards the end, this trapped CO@ will be useful. You may wonder how come my DIY CO2 has enough pressure to push the waterline downwards towards the midium depth of my 2 ft tank. I found out a way to "pressurised" DIY CO2. I feed the CO2 into the outlet of my pumphead before going into the reactor. This way, the water will "suck" the CO2 into the reactor and the water itself is pressured by the pump and not the CO2 container.

My Riccia bubbles like crazy and fine-leaved plants like Egeria is growing very fast.
    ----------------
    Any pictures [] of tank and your CO2 setup Thanx

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Love to but no digi cam leh. Still undecided if I shd really get one (> 3 megapix) and which brand.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I got the one with balls...or should I say given as a grift. Well, will try out on my new tank which is coming in this weekends.....can't really wait to put my hands on those!!!
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter,

You might want to monitor the pH level. Using a DIY CO2 in your reactor means that the CO2 level will be quite high and your plantss may love it but not your fish. Juz be on the look out for symptoms like fish gasping for air etc.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok thks Sherchoo. not been measuring no3, no3 and ph for more than 2 weeks liao !!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Btw, how do some guys manage to get pH readings like 6.9 ?? My Tetra test kit only gives readings in 0.5 interval !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter, try other brands... like Sera, JBL.. etc

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter,

Wats the range (min to max) of your pH tester table?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Peter,

The UP401 reactor you got, it is very big and long ?? Since I only got a 2ft tank, space in the tank is very precious and I already got a skimmer , so another equipment in the tank means less space for plants...

You mention that you need to put the CO2 inlet to the pumphead outlet...
    Does this means that without doing this, the pressure for the DIY CO2 is not high enuf for the reactor to work ??

Currently the water in my tank is coming out from the canister filter to the rainbar, by adding the CO2 reactor, can I still use my rainbar ?

Is the water from the CO2 reactor very strong current ???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Stanley,

Basically the reactor is placed in between the the outlet and the rainbar. Yes, the rainbar can be used as I did in my tank. The flow is set by your filter.

I do agree that the reactor and skimmer maybe too big for a 2ft tank. But you can still put it in and still look nice if you have some plants hiding the equipment.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    sherchoo,

Thanks for the info, I manage to connect the UP401 co2 reactor to the rainbar... and placing the rainbar facing downwards to prolong the CO2 in the water and also to prevent it from blowing the plants to the front..

I've also removed 1 of the 3 bioballs so that the remaining 2 bioballs can still spins when the water level drops...

I find that when the bioballs does not spin, the co2 is not efficiently mixed in the water inside the reactor.

Feedback Score
    Couple of months testing all diff reactors and those UP type are the most eff. bought the spiral glass, ceramic, dennerle and ADA diffusers but finally settle for UP reactor. Cheap, eff and they make my rotala macrandra bubble!

Cannot see properly from pic though my MM bubbling like hell.

Trying to grow MM infront of reactor, tank 2ft and setup only abt 3wks. My unused (useless) reactors any takers?

peter: how did you connect your diy co2 to the out pipe of your filter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/25/2002 1:06:14 AM

peter: how did you connect your diy co2 to the out pipe of your filter?
    ----------------
    Normally, the co2 is connected to the reactor (the white colour looking hose in the pic).
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast