Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "UP" reactor questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    you were saying :

"I feed the CO2 into the outlet of my pumphead before going into the reactor. This way, the water will "suck" the CO2 into the reactor and the water itself is pressured by the pump and not the CO2 container. "

i don't understand what you mean?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I also used the "UP" reactor.

Just a question as I see different people place it differently.

a) Currently I am placing the reactor on the left/ behind side of the tank and the outlet after CO2/ Bio Bal mixing is place at 45 degree pointing toward the centre of the tank.

IS this the best option in term of getting the CO2 distributed eventually to the whole tank as I see some LFS place it differently.
    -------------------
    / /
    / co2 out /
    / /
    -------------------
    Front side
    Cheers

The filter outlet should go to which inlet of the reactor, top or bottom one ?

I feel that if you don't like the current produced by the outlet, just use a rainbar placed along the length of the tank tucked away at the back behind the plants, gives the most even coverage of co2 I think.

And the filter outlet is connected to the top of the reactor. hope these help!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry guys for the late reply. connecting the outler of my powerhead to the inlet of the reactor was a challenge. The 2 L-shape elbows are not long enough to connect to the reactor attached to the side of the aquarium. The workaround is to use the thick ehiem rubber tube. I got mine for $1 for a foot long at Permart. But there is another problem. both the rubber tube and the end of 1 elbow are equally thick and can't connect together. That prompted me to post here some time ago on where to get plastic tubing. In the end, I got a short piece of hard plastic tube that is narrower and use that to join the elbow and ehiem rubber tubing.

I saw chan at nature did it by just getting a small powerhead and let it dangle next to the reactor. As I don't want to get another powerhead in my 2 ft aquarium, that is not viable for me.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Stanley,

Yeah, the current from the outlet is quite strong even though mine powerhead is only rated at 300l/hr. The good thing is the cap can be twisted. I turned it such that the outlet points to the back of the aquarium.

Actually, I tried both method ie CO2 into the reactor and into the outlet of the pumphead. both works just as well though towards the end of the DIY CO@ cycle, the pressure might not be strong enuf against the water pressure. But what the heck, it's time to mix a new solution anyway.

A tip : before you discard the old solution, give it a few good shakes and get the remainign CO2 into the reactor.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    On most pumpheads, there is this tube at the top of the outlet right ? That is meant to draw air into the water and aerates it. This suction effect is caused by the movement of the water at te outlet pipe ... it's like lowering your car window while the car is moving ... the air in the car is being "sucked" out (the fact is the movement of air is caused by difference in air pressure).

Thus, if you connect your CO2 output to the pumphead, it will "suck" the CO2 into the water and the force of the water will go against the water pressure more effectively.

Having said that, if you position your reactor close to the surface, the water pressure should be minimal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12