Feedback Score
    Country
    Spain

Re: Crenuchus spilurus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    SCOPE , surely you do not repent ,we put pictures and talk about them . Thank you.

Hello Heiko, thank you very much for your information, I look at your page to see those pictures, and all the information.
    These Crenuchus mine, have adapted very well, but currently there is not little fish
    Greetings

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Canada

Diego - I don't have any C. Spilurus babies either. I tried the simulated dry season method, and they started displaying vigorously, but they didn't spawn. Next time I'll make the dry season longer and tougher.

Heiko - I'm glad you're on the case. I really look forward to seeing pictures of this new variety. I found an article in Polish that discusses their infrared capabilities and mentions you in several places. I had originally thought the weird head shape was for display purposes, but it makes sense that it is for infrared sensing. It's great that someone of your stature has taken an interest in this genus. Perhaps you'll find a Crenuchus bleheri? :-)

I only have a couple of new observations...

- perhaps it was a coincidence, but increasing the carbonate hardness of the water a little caused the fish to start displaying within about ten minutes (I used a teaspoon of Seachem Alkaline Buffer, but baking soda would probably work as well).
    - they have no interest in caves, despite what the literature says. I cut up some PVC pipe and put it in the tank months ago, but they never go near it. They don't use the driftwood caves either. They prefer to hide in the roots of thick vegetation during the day, usually while facing upwards at a 45 degree angle.

Here's a video I made a while ago that shows a crenuchus spilurus display (around 0:32). I have another video that shows some other displays.

YouTube- Crenuchus Spilurus (sailfin tetra) display

Hi,

nice video and nice fishes, and I like you aquariums as from what >i can see it is almost biotope-correct (except maybe for some of the Asian plants).

Yes, nice this article from Dagobert, he was a gentlemen. I was invited to give a two-day seminars in Poland during the time of still communism (1985-86). It was terrible to get a permit to enter and what a waste of search of my car. They wanted to take my Porsche apart, as they said I was smuggeling someone into the communist zone - can you believe it? I stayed all night at the border, freezing cold and no heat anywhere in those communist buildings. Next morning they called their chief and he called the factury of Porsche from where they confirmed that the front part has no engine and no place to hide someone...

Anyhow I was welcomed and hundreds of people came to my lectures and they made a beautiful cupper plate with one of the tetras I discovered - delivered by Dagobert... What memories...

I will soon write some articles on the new discoveries, but am so busy with two books to finish (everyone is waiting and daily writing me, keeping us busy answering when it will come - everyone who bought volume 1 cannot wait for volume 2, the Indian book also, everyone wants it...) and I have committed to so many seminars (biigest now in Iran...).

But you will hear from mw somewhere, keep up the good work, really nice,

always

Heiko
    www.aquapress-bleher.com
    Best regards,
    Heiko Bleher

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetroid View Post

colourful finnages. Reminds me of Betta marcostoma.
    God will make a way, where there seems to be no way

Feedback Score
    Country
    Spain

You're right, do not show much interest in the caves.
    Thanks for sharing the video Tetroid,I like, you catch them with the fins deployed, well done.
    thank you very much
    Heiko, good story.
    thanks for sharing your knowledge

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Canada

Yes, good story. I lived in Ufa, Russia for a year and a half, so Heiko's story about the officials was a little familiar. Fortunately, I didn't bring along a Porsche for anyone to take apart. I'm very pleased the aquarium is almost biotope correct. That's what I was aiming for, but I had to compromise on the Asian plants, since my tank is low light.

As for the Crenuchus Spilurus, I haven't much to add except that one of the males has developed a red belly. I'm guessing that this may be a sign of dominance. I haven't seen any battles in a while, so maybe the others have accepted him as the boss. I have two females and five males. No losses since I got them. Even the ones in the fish store lasted about nine months. It's just incredible that no one wanted to buy such an interesting fish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice fishes....Hope to lay hand for some more the next time....and experience on their unique breeding behaviour
    Joe
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/scope-apisto-blog.html
    Keeping Apisto Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata, Rotkeil, Wilhelmi red, Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa
    Apisto on sale (updated 7th Mar 13):
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/apisto-trading-cart.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Greetings. I have been doing some research on this species and was very happy to find this thread.

I have 50 of this species and have developed a deep appreciation of them. They have grown to be a good deal larger than I was told that they would.

Here is an image of one of mine, that I shot, today. Cheers. - Frank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I currently have a pair and I personally find them more endearing than Apistogramma. I was initially considering getting myself a pair of Aggies but after having the Crenuchus for a week I think I'm going to get me somemore of them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Denmark

I collected them in Peru in 2008 while searching along the road between Iquitos and Nauta. Sadly I lost them even before they were shipped to Denmark. Next week I am visiting a shop that has them in stock so I consider to buy a few pairs.

In the pond where we collected them, they lived alongside a species of Apistogramma. the water was reddish/muddy and pH and conductivity was quite high. This was in the end of the dry season.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Ireland

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but these little fish deserve to be kept top of the tetra page!
    I have kept them for a while now and would agree with most of what has been posted in the two pages, they are definitely a fish worth tank space, I have been attempting to get them to produce young on and off but have not been successful yet, though I think I am getting closer with each attempt, they have not been a straight forward tetra to breed!
    the dry season simulation seems to work most of the time to get the fish to spawn (if the fish are in good condition), with the male taking up residence in a cave and pairing up with a female, the female seems to play a much more important role in the pairing up and spawning than is given credit for, guarding the cave entrance, fending off other females etc. but getting to the fry stage, well I have not quite figured that part yet!
    they can be aggressive with each other, I have witnessed females fighting and biting each other, causing damage. Males will fight over territory fins displayed and biting if one does not back off again causing damage. They are big fish, my largest male is over 9cms!
    Every time I sit and watch their tank I spot something interesting in their behaviour, the way they interact with each other and the way they watch me!
    I would definitely recommend that if you spot them in a shop to give them a go, my advice would be to treat them as you would dwarf cichlids and you will be on the right track

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They are indeed very unique for tetra but sad to say that they are hardly available in the LFS. I wouldn't hesitate if I ever see them in the shops here though.

There's a chance Poecilocharax weitzmani might be available soon but not Crenuchus spilurus.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Country
    Ireland

that's a pity, but if Poecilocharax weitzmani become available and are in good condition then maybe they would tempt you, but these fish are not forgiving with their care, any mistakes in water quality and they will suffer. They are another cave spawner with the male guarding the eggs and displaying fantastic fins, the males will spar with each other but will do no harm.Soft acidic water, tannin stained plenty of hiding places wood, plants etc for the males to setup and defend a territory and some caves in the form of film canisters, bamboo, plastic piping etc will do for them to spawn in, set them up midway in the tank (unlike the sailfin which only ever uses a cave on ground level in my experience)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, you're absolutely right. Poecilocharax weitzmani is one of my favorite tetra and a good substitute for Crenuchus spilurus, that is, if they ever hit our shore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Ireland

I have videos of my morpho tetras somewhere, I will root them out and post them if I find them, in the meantime here is one of a male sailfin encroaching on another's territory and the resulting battle, it is a bit long, but make yourself a cup of tea or crack open a beer and sit back and try and watch all of it, also notice the behaviour of the females during this time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpDvAcj9tJs

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Indeed, males are aggressive and territorial, nothing like the tetra we are so used to see, schooling peacefully. They behave exactly like cichlids and with the size that you mentioned earlier, it makes sense that a tank of at least 3 ft is necessary to house a small school comfortably.

Nonetheless, very nice fish.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

The males in the video have really long fins, they look longer than what i usually see in pictures online. I assume the males must be rather mature? Also with the territorial sparring, wouldnt there be fin damage? The males in your video seem to have fins in perfect condition.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Ireland

Hi Lucasjiang, this is what the mature males look like, most of the videos and pictures you see online only show juvie males, the fins on the fish in the video do look undamaged, but at the end of the battle when I separated them there was some damage to the fins and many scales on the body missing, I have had females fight for dominance when attempting to get the fish to spawn where females were torn to shreds and even killed when I was not quick enough to separate them!
    here is a pic of a mature male
    027 (2).jpg
    Shi Xuan,
    here is a video to tempt you to get some morpho tetras, watch how they appear from nowhere and notice how they can take very large pieces of food, most people say they need live food to be kept alive, this group seldom were offered live food with 'tetra prima' being their main food
    http://s429.photobucket.com/user/joe...028-2.mp4.html

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

The morpho tetras are really nice too. I used to have a group of 8, 3 males and 5 females. Sadly they did not seem very keen on frozen food, preferring to take live tubifex worms of live daphnia. They would take the frozen food, but would not eat a lot. Unfortunately they wasted away in the end. I miss the males' sparring dances.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12