Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plant deficiency in new tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just setup a 56l tank with CO2 injection, 50W 6,500K PL+FL, Seachem flourite almost a week ago.

I decided to start off with heavy planting of Hygrophila Difformis, Heterantera Zosterfolia, Cabomba Caroliana, Rotala Rotundifolia, Micranthemum Micranthemoides, Elocharis Acicularis, Echinodorus Tenellus, Riccia Fluitans.

After 5 days, I notice that the plants are not doing well. Hygrophila, Micranthemum leaves have partly turned yellowish and translucent. Stargrass suffered the most, with half the leaves turning whitish and translucent. Tips of cabomba have also turned pale green.

I tested the water quality and results are:
    pH 6.5, kH 2.0, NO3 (undetectable), PO4 (0.25ppm)

Questions:
    1. Could this be due to nutrient deficiency, esp. NO3? Others?
    2. If so, should I start dosing liquid fert such as TMG?
    3. Do I need to supplement TMG with other additives such as KNO3?
    4. Is kH sufficient or should I use sodium bicarbonate to increase the
    carbonate hardness?

Please advise.

Feedback Score
    Cant advise you on your questions, but you may wanna look at this chart to determine what sort of defiency you may be experiencing.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    i'm no expert on this matter,but from what i understand, plants like ure hygrophilla difformis take up alot of nutrients, fast growing plants would tend to take up more nutrients and all. so might explain why there maybe some deficiancies, if those plants tt are suffering from these deficiancies are slower growing lar. Also, for ure pH and kH levels...maybe can do a search on pH kH charts...should be able to determine from there...hope this helps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/4/2003 12:14:30 AM

I just setup a 56l tank with CO2 injection, 50W 6,500K PL+FL, Seachem flourite almost a week ago.

I tested the water quality and results are:
    pH 6.5, kH 2.0, NO3 (undetectable), PO4 (0.25ppm)

Questions:
    1. Could this be due to nutrient deficiency, esp. NO3? Others?
    ----------------
    Too early to tell. But since you didn't mention you have fish and NO3=0. N deficiency is a possibilty.
    ----------------
    2. If so, should I start dosing liquid fert such as TMG?
    ----------------
    Yes. But at lower dosage first. Increase accordingly taking not of your plant response. But since your plants are having yellow leaves, possible Fe deficiency, you may just want to put more and look at your plant's response.
    ----------------
    3. Do I need to supplement TMG with other additives such as KNO3?
    ----------------
    If possible, just raise the NO3 to about 5ppm to get your plants going. Thereafter, once your plants perk up and start growing, keep your NO3 5~10ppm.
    [quote}
    ----------------
    4. Is kH sufficient or should I use sodium bicarbonate to increase the
    carbonate hardness?
    ----------------
    [/quote]
    KH of 2~3 is fine. Use the pH/KH/CO2 charts to adjust your CO2 to achieve around 25ppm CO2.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Translucent leaves is chlorosis which is lack of chorophyll. Usually indicative of a lack of iron. Yellowing could be one of any number of deficiencies. Check the charts that were suggested above for more info.

Undetectable NO3 does not mean no N in your tank. Your tank is still cycling, most of the N should still be in ammonia or nitrite.

I'm just set up a tank using flourite a few weeks ago. Growth is not great. In fact, my Lobelia which is suppose to be easy, died. I'm quite dissappointed with it. However, I suspect it will make a good long term substrate.

I suggest you start dosing liquid fert, but at a reduced dose first. Add a few algae controllers too.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just a check. Do you have any media in your filter that is removing nutrients or the ammonia. Eg. carbon pads, activated carbon or Zeolite? Remove them if you do. They are sucking away plant nutrients.

If you have fish in the tank, that will be good as they will provide the N and P for the plants through feeding.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had activated carbon for one day because of the cloudiness in the water but has since removed it. I think I'll try dosing a little TMG + KNO3 to see how it goes.

Thanks