Country
    Singapore

4ft x 2ft x 2.5ft Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

I am just wondering what kind of lighting will be suitable for a tank like this? T5s or MH? If MH, 2x150W or 2x250W?

Secondly, it has been a long debate for planted aquarist using a sump tank. But recently, even Amano uses one. So I am just wondering any bros here is using one with success? I understand that there will be a loss of CO2 through the use of a sump tank but will the pros cover the cons?
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 4ft x 2ft x 2.5ft Tank

Any idea? All informations are welcome =)
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Taiwan

I will be setting up my tank for the same size with a sump. Just use this http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/photos/401.jpg and CO2 loss will not be muh of an issue.

2X150 would be enough, but you might want to add t5 as well, and keep the lighting peroid of the MH less. T5 will be ok depending upon what type of plants you plan (carepet plants, etc)

One issue with the MH is the heat, and with the summers here in Asia, chillers will be a must if MHs are used.
    */Tank Specs*/
    50Gallon (90 X 45 X 45) Tetra Ex120, CO2 @1~2 bps, 4X30 watt @8 hrs
    29 Gallon (61X40X45cm) DIY ADA stand, Eheim 2215, Fishline 48w T5 light @8hrs
    17 Gallon Mr.Aqua (60X30X36cm) DIY ADA stand, Fishline T5 lights 48watts @7 hrs
    Tank in Progress (120X60X55cm) DIY sliding door stand, Reef style tank w/ SUMP+Eheim pump, T5- 6X54w

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks campbell for the info.. any pictures of your tank?
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Taiwan

"will be setting up" - I am in the process of designing and building the stand to suit my place. The tank has been ordered and should be here in a week or so, so I need to work faster with the stand, but I have had no time.
    */Tank Specs*/
    Tank in Progress (120X60X55cm) DIY sliding door stand, Reef style tank w/ SUMP+Eheim pump, T5- 6X54w

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Haha.. best of luck... and I'm waiting to see some pictures soon... =)
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tcampbell View Post
    I will be setting up my tank for the same size with a sump. Just use this http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/photos/401.jpg and CO2 loss will not be muh of an issue.

2X150 would be enough, but you might want to add t5 as well, and keep the lighting peroid of the MH less. T5 will be ok depending upon what type of plants you plan (carepet plants, etc)

One issue with the MH is the heat, and with the summers here in Asia, chillers will be a must if MHs are used.
    Do you have any information about the design of the picture you pointed to?

(Image source: Midwest Custom Aquariums)

From the picture, I'm not clear what the design feature is that prevents CO2 loss. Is the inverted U supposed to trap escaping CO2?

And BTW, is there some sort of unidirectional valve at the top of the sump siphon?

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by pengtsin View Post
    Do you have any information about the design of the picture you pointed to?

(Image source: Midwest Custom Aquariums)

From the picture, I'm not clear what the design feature is that prevents CO2 loss. Is the inverted U supposed to trap escaping CO2?

And BTW, is there some sort of unidirectional valve at the top of the sump siphon?

Thanks in advance!
    No that's not something you want to use on a planted tank. Few people use sumps with planted thank, that thing you see is a tube that brings water down into the sump.

Even if you want a sump for some reason, the tube (I forgot it's name) actually is just about the worse thing you can have to prevent CO2 loss as the water just gushes out on the other end like a waterfall.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guys, my thinking about the topics of co2 loss for a sump setup is that it would be negligible and the loss of the co2 due to the splashing when it flow from the main tank to the sump would be the unused portion of co2 that did not get to be used by the plants. The most important issue of this setup is that proper supply and distribution of co2 to the tank. Adequate amount of co2 supply to the tank is paramount to the growth and sustainability of the plants. Proper use of co2 distribution equipment is an important choice to make. Water flow of co2 enriched water is also something to look into. You must provide equal water flow in all areas of the tank for the plants to consume the co2.

If the aquarist still wants to prevent the loss of co2 from the overflow setup, the overflow tube must be below the waterline in the sump. One thing to take note which is an important one is how the overflow tube in the main tank is set up. A wrong choice will result in a noisy waterfall noise being created in the main tank.

Hope this helps!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For lightings, depends on the plant you intend to scape your tank. Usually T5 would be more than sufficient plus the lengthly design of T5 means u can evenyly spread your lighting for the tank. Halide if hung up from the ceiling can provide and ensure wider light spread but I think it heat up your house as well. As for electric consumption, halide also consume more of your $notes in shorter time. However, halide does give a very beautiful shimmering effect on the water surface (coz halides are usually hung up high).

As mentioned by BFG, I feel that the overflow tube is not the crucial issue of CO2 loss. As long as outlet tube of the overflow pipe reaches below waterline of the sump tank water surface (thus reducing splashing effect), there should not be much concern on this part of the issue. In this case, we could avoid delibrately lossing extensive CO2.

Notice in many planted tank, plants nearest to the CO2 gets the most pearling effect compare to those further away. My opinion is CO2 conc at area near diffuser is higher. So if we can get the conc of Co2 to be more evenly spread out across the tank before its flow into the sump tank, there should'nt be a great issue. I personally think sump tank can be used for planted set up. Many planted tank utilised canister filter which i personally think is not easy for maintenance due to clogging in long run. Cleaning cannister is also an ordeal at least for me. I think placing CO2 diffuser at the return pump of the sump will allow better circulation of CO2 into the main tank as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mildnomsed View Post
    Hi bros,

I am just wondering what kind of lighting will be suitable for a tank like this? T5s or MH? If MH, 2x150W or 2x250W?

Secondly, it has been a long debate for planted aquarist using a sump tank. But recently, even Amano uses one. So I am just wondering any bros here is using one with success? I understand that there will be a loss of CO2 through the use of a sump tank but will the pros cover the cons?
    I set up one 422 with sump filtration last year with co2 injection.

Co2 losses? In my view is extremely minute. As BFG has pointed, the splashing will only occurs when there is splashing. To overcome this again IMO, there are two very simple ways. One is to position your outlet below the water line and the second is to inject the CO2 into the return line. I use both approach for all my planted tanks.

Please do not ask me for pictures as i have accidentally deleted away the whole folder on my 422 while I doing system maintenance. Infact, I didn't even manage to give the pictures I promised to HK75.

Just my two cents worth.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bros for the information. By the way, the sump you are using is a sump tank under your aquarium or just a sump behind your main tank?
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If I really want to use a MH, does it have to be a fixture with FL? Can it be just MH for the tank? Coz I am thinking of using delightings MH fixture..
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Taiwan

what ever happened with you tank? was it built? Did you end up using a sump? what lights and filtration did you use?
    */Tank Specs*/