Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hang on filters

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi! i realize that my hang on filter that i installed for my aquarium actually has the flow rate decreases with time. i have to take out the sponge and clean it with water ( and its very dirty- dark brown waters that come out) - only then i can restore the flow rate back to norm. Is this phenomenon normal with hang on filters and do you guys clean the extension sponge very frequently?

Will appreciate if any veterans or experienced personnel can answer my question! thanks!
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: hang on filters

Quote Originally Posted by griffinkid View Post
    hi! i realize that my hang on filter that i installed for my aquarium actually has the flow rate decreases with time. i have to take out the sponge and clean it with water ( and its very dirty- dark brown waters that come out) - only then i can restore the flow rate back to norm. Is this phenomenon normal with hang on filters and do you guys clean the extension sponge very frequently?

Will appreciate if any veterans or experienced personnel can answer my question! thanks!
    I believe it's normal for filters to clog after some time and flow rate reduced.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It greatly depends on how frequent you wash your filter.. generally speaking of cause when particles clogged up your sponge, it will prevent water from seaping through... But in my own personal opinion, OHF flowrate will decrease more over time compare to other filters like canisters, because OHF only depends on gravity to filter the water unlike canister, the pressure will force the water to go through the filter media.
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ooo okay haha glad to hear that my filter is not getting faulty. tks guys!
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What kind of fish are you keeping bro? If your filter is clogged for too long, it may prevent the aquarium water to bypass the filter media. We don't want that to happen. So it is important that you wash your filter foam and filter floss often.
    Regards,

Desmond

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

An important point about washing filters. Do not wash directly under tap water. It will kill all the "good" bacteria cultivated. Wash with the water from the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have moved from hang on filter to canister filter.. previously I have to wash the hand on filter every week... a lot of effort... even though the tank is pretty small 1 feet plus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh! are canister filters easy to maintain? coz i also thinking of changing to one haha! but wad is the cost price like of a canister filter and wads the Watt power? o.o
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by griffinkid View Post
    oh! are canister filters easy to maintain? coz i also thinking of changing to one haha! but wad is the cost price like of a canister filter and wads the Watt power? o.o

Depends on what you are getting,canister can get very expensive though.
    It is easy to maintain.I`ve not been doing maintaniece for my canister for 8months ++

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

you can go for ehiem canisters cost around 2 blue notes or 3 blue notes depending on what model you wanna get.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For my ehiem 2222, it consume 8watt only. Its really a very good filter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    what is your tank size? how do we go about choosing the correct flowrate for the correct tanksize?

宝剑锋从磨砺出,梅花香自苦寒来。

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.XP View Post
    what is your tank size? how do we go about choosing the correct flowrate for the correct tanksize?

3 - 4 times flowrate of your tank size. which mean if your tank is 100L, your filter must be able to create 300L/H or 400L/H (which is better) flowrate. try not to exceed or else the faunas inside the tank will have to fight against the strong current.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    Yup can agree with you !

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.XP View Post
    Hi, my tank size is 2' by 1' by 1.8'. Its about 100 litres ( including mass of rocks, driftwoods, etc etc. Therefore, my filteration rate is at 5 times per hour.