Images
    Country
    Singapore

Potassium Chloride?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone tried dosing K via KCl before? I'm trying out the fad in US planted forums now - Mineralized Topsoil.

One of the ingredients needed to make this is KCl. K2SO4, which is commonly available here, is not recommended as the SO4 portion oxidizes to form SO2, which is bad under the substrate (forms anaerobic pockets).

I've checked out Dr Mallicks and they don't carry it. Anyone know where it's available locally?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Potassium Chloride?

Before I dose K2SO4, I ever tried "Lo-Salt" sold at NTUC at one time. But it is 66% KCL and 33% NaCl.

Maybe you can check out this local source of KCl: http://www.fertilizers.com.sg/muriate-potash
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Interesting topic. I pose this question to greenchapter as well. Will K2SO4 harm plants? I hope someone will offer some guidance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I know that K2SO4 kill my shrimps. Shrimps start dying when I dosing it, stop dying when I stop dosing it and start dying again when I dosing it to reconfirm. It is not immediate effect, take about a week before seeing shrimp corps.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks so much for the link juggler! That solves alot of my problems. I hope they sell dolomite too!

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

KCl is good also to keep the pH tester's probe immersed in when storing. Prolongs life of the device, I heard. However, I've been looking for KCl here in Sg since 2004 with no success.

I heard it is the main component that is used in the Lethal Injection to execute people condemned to die in the US.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I just called Wendell trading (the link juggler posted). They do indeed carry KCl. However, it's a 50kg bag for $100, which is too much for my purposes...they don't sell in any smaller quantities.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

50 kg is too much for the entire AQ membership!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    I just called Wendell trading (the link juggler posted). They do indeed carry KCl. However, it's a 50kg bag for $100, which is too much for my purposes...they don't sell in any smaller quantities.
    Ask if they sell to any nuseries or farms and you can maybe buy from them in smaller quantities?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

haha wow juggler you're a genius! That never crossed my mind!

Feedback Score

Perhaps you should try KHCO3 (potassium bicarbonate) instead. This will add carbon to the tank and potassium. It will also buffer the pH. Why I suggest it instead of KCl is because you don't want Cl building up in the tank. It can leak across biological membranes and mess with the electrolyte balance of organisms.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if you're really keen to get KCl without having to search around too much, you could always mix K2SO4 and CaCl2 to ppt out the CaSO4. It's a pretty indirect way but they're both available from Dr Mallick. excess CaCl2 will force out more sulfate. you can keep/sell the CaSO4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is it true? I'm dosing k2so4 as well for a long time. My cherries and yamato seems ok but my bee, tiger, orange, crs never really make it past more than 1 month. Is it due to this? Did you manage to find anything on the internet to verify below...? Last time, I researched and did not find any harmful effects for k2so4 in aquarium.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I know that K2SO4 kill my shrimps. Shrimps start dying when I dosing it, stop dying when I stop dosing it and start dying again when I dosing it to reconfirm. It is not immediate effect, take about a week before seeing shrimp corps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess another alternative to using powder form will be to use either ADA brighty K, Ferka K or Seachem Potassium but of course comparatively more costly. Btw, if I'm already using Tropica's fertiliser which contains K, do I still need to dose additional K?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

TMG should be able to take care of your K needs.