Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to grow Corydoras ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Folks, I recently saw Leopard Cories at ThatFishShop and they are like 2.5 inches long. I've been having panda and leopard cories but they never seem to grow big even though they are feeding. They are about 1 inch for more than 6 mths. How did the fishfarms grow them so big and I bet quickly as well to make money.

Thks.
    Last edited by peterkoh; 1st Sep 2009 at 06:48.

Re: How to grow Corydoras ?

Corydoras panda are one of the smaller non-dwarf Coryydoras spp. I don't think I have ever seen one than was more than 1-3/8 inches and I have bred them commercially. Leopard Corydoras are usually Corydoras trilineatus but they are often mis-identified as Corydoras julii, another one of the smaller Corydoras spp. They are usually no more than 2 inches.
    If you are more familiar with Corydoras aeneus normal-albino and Corydoras paleatus then I can see why you may think these other species are small or not growing as much as you are accustomed to.

When I was raising Corydoras sterbai, it took about 4-1/2 months for them to reach 1 inch. They would begin breeding as early as 9 months old but they take about 2 years to reach their maximum length of 3 inches but the majority of C. sterbai only get 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 inches. I fed them mainly live newly hatched brine shrimp when they are fry and live black worms(similar to Tubifex worms) as soon as they could take them. Young Corydoras can take chopped live worms. live foods are necessary to get good growth with Corys. Commercial breeders and serious hobbyist breeders use live foods, plenty of tank space and do not keep them with other fish. That is how they produce them fast enough to turn a profit.

With a diet of mainly live worms most popular tank raised species of Corydoras reach a salable size in 4 to 4-1/2 months. In community tanks and on a diet of mainly prepared commercial fish foods, Corydoras often do not grow very well. They often do not get to eat enough food when kept as scavengers(which they are not) and they will not grow well unless they are fed sufficient live and frozen foods like frozen blood worms.
    Last edited by apistomaster; 1st Sep 2009 at 00:39. Reason: spelling
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to grow Corydoras ?

Cool. Thanks for the tips. Will use more frozen bloodworms as livefood is a no-no at home.
    Last edited by celticfish; 1st Sep 2009 at 14:53. Reason: Remove immediate quote