Country
    Singapore

6ft paludarium journal- pictures

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bros,

Anyone keep 6ft vivarium tank or seen any 6ft vivarium tank in Singapore?

Care to share with me? I still wavering, should I setup a vivarium project for this 6x2.5x2.5 tank .

let me know your thoughts.
    Last edited by eddy planer; 1st Sep 2009 at 21:01.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 6ft vivarium

Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Hi Bros,

Anyone keep 6ft vivarium tank or seen any 6ft vivarium tank in Singapore?

Care to share with me? I still wavering, should I setup a vivarium project for this 6x2.5x2.5 tank .

let me know your thoughts.

yes!!. please go ahead and start the trend!!

I did a 422 once. But tore it down when it collapse as i was away from home for 1 month.

NOw I have a 20" crabium(?) running.

All the way
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 1st Sep 2009 at 22:45.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes thanks... still I need some good advise, guildance, concept and some 6ft vivarium pix to inspire before I commit into vivarium. I find vivarium pretty cool but I really dont know vivarium suit 6ft tank, bo?

Let me know your thoughts
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

http://www.wildsky.net/vivarium/evivariu.htm

i got my inspiration from here.

let me know if i can help in other areas.
    [email protected]
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    http://www.wildsky.net/vivarium/evivariu.htm

i got my inspiration from here.

let me know if i can help in other areas.
    [email protected]
    That's a wonderful link!
    Corydoras - Sterbai, Leopard, Bronze, Albino, Pepper, Similis, Pygmaeus, Habrosus, Hastatus, Tail-Spot
    Loaches - Clown, Red-Tailed Squirrel, Yoyo, Zodiac, Crimson, Banded/Spotted Kuhli, Zebra, Blue Botia, Kubotai
    Others - L181, C/S/GAEs, Otos, Dwarf/Thai/Honey Gouramis, Spotted/Smiling Cat, Shark Cat, Percula Clown (SW), Cinnamon Anemonefish (SW)...
    Happy Shrimps - CRS, Sakura/RCS, Malayan, Yamato, Green Shrimps, Dancing Shrimp (SW)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro,

This really inspire me....look like i need tons of DIY work ,materials and time.

Need to design the vivarium with minimal cost for this monster tank... any idea?
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro,

This really inspire me....look like i need tons of DIY work ,materials and time.

Need to design the vivarium with minimal cost for this monster tank... any idea?

When I did my 422 viva the mistakes that i commit was that i wanted to do everything huge. Hence, I bought tree bark, palm tree bark, tonnes of egg crates and silicone them into my 422.

Imagine my heartache when the viva collapse. Not only did i have to scoop everything out, worst thing is I had to force removed all those things that i had silicone in.

Hence for my crabium, I did everything modular. i wired tied the tree bark onto a piece of egg crate. for false bottom, i cable them together and i put ceramic ring beneath the egg crate for bio filter. If you can, do everything modular.

Neater and easier that way.

now my scarred 422 is home to about 15 gold fish, 9 silver dollar and 2 shovel nose cat.

Been trying to persuade my wife to allow me to have another 422 but to no vail...

here is the thread on my 422

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=51965
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 1st Sep 2009 at 22:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seanskye View Post
    That's a wonderful link!

it's in the sticky

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

She rather you spend time with her than spend time with your project..lah!

My wife and 3 demanding kids surely wont let me involve too much time and the big minus, this monster tank is 2'5" deep, lah ! My back sure kana acupunture within 2 days!!!!

But let me think...how this project can set up with little effort. If you have any idea without too much silicon and stain my dream tank too much.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

She rather you spend time with her than spend time with your project..lah!

My wife and 3 demanding kids surely wont let me involve too much time and the big minus, this monster tank is 2'5" deep, lah ! My back sure kana acupunture within 2 days!!!!

But let me think...how this project can set up with little effort. If you have any idea without too much silicon and stain my dream tank too much.

i have got 3 kids as well.

For the project, use cable ties. If you have to use tree bark, tied them to tank dividers or egg crates. Then instead of sticking the bark onto the tank, all you need to do is insert the divider with bark in. For the false bottoms, go daiso and get baskets. The baskets will allow you to put medias like ceramic rings, biohome plus, sera peat etc.

This way, you do not have to worry about spoiling your tank.

Well, to counter my wife's decision against having another422 at home, what i did is that i have 422 outside the house ie in my clients premises.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Do you know anyone got such a big vivarium?

I like to see how the real setup vivarium project on the monster tank or do you still have anyone who has it now?
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Eddy,

From what i gather, you have a monstrous 6 footer which you're comtemplating on turning it into a Vivarium. They key to a successful vivarium is always proper planning and tons of research.

What i suggest to you at this point of time is to lay out your plans systematically. For eg...

Budget (amount willing to be set aside for the construction building process)
    -The amount set aside will generally be an indication as to how your things will fall through. Which is costing more and which things you've to substitue for a cheaper one. Whilst some you could do a DIY to save costs.
    -Existing things/ supplies which you have lying around in your house could bring down the costs as well.

Next are the basic essential points.

Basic Planning Items:
    -Tank Size & Type (is it a tank with a sump below? Or a normal tank)
    -Placement of tank (whether it gets sunlight etc)
    -Lighting supplement (metal halides, T5's etc; also the type of plants determine the type of lighting used)
    -Filtration system (external canister filter, internal filter)
    -Ventilation system for exchange of gases and cool/hot air (with computer fans)
    -Misting system (For easy maintenance in the long run, tank has to have a drainage hole in order to accommodate this system)
    -Glass cover for top of tank (with holes for fans and misting nozzles)
    -Water reservoir for misting system
    -Extension cord for multi sockets (for external canister, misting pump, light etc)

Once you've roughly settled the above points, you can move on next to the skeletal design of the Vivarium.

As i read through your posts, i guess the best skeletal design for you would be to have an island in the middle or on both sides of the tank, depending on your tastes. This is to eliminate the hassle of tearing down and scraping silicone off the back wall should you want to do a back wall decoration.

Think of it as those raised islands with flooded waters all around and sunken logs and branches.

Skeletal Foundation: (Islands theme)
    -Eggcrates (this will form the foundation for the islands)
    -Driftwoods & Bogwood (to provide accents or to strategically place around the eggcrate foundation for the islands)
    -Smooth large granite rocks (reminiscence of those clear flowing streams)
    -River sand (or any sand to complement the whole look)
    -Cable ties (to secure the eggcrates together)

After these pointers have been thought upon, you can move on to the rough drawing. Have a look through pictures of flooded forests and streams or jungles (for eg, Amazon jungle) on the web or through books at the library or bookstores. Print out or save them on your comp in a folder. This folder will serve as a visual inspiration for your rough drawing.

Flora
    Once completed with the rough sketches, list out the types of plants you'd like to have in there. Different plants require different amount of lighting and also the amount of moisture they'll likey tolerate. So spend a more considerable time on this to make sure your plant survives in a Vivarium environment.

Fauna
    -What would you be keeping and ease of feeding?
    The fauna in the tank determines the type of scape and layout to suit its needs.

So in all, these pointers above will serve as a rough gauge on how you should most probably conduct your preparation in setting up such a massive Vivarium. It's all trial and error but in the end provides a satisfaction that all possibilities have been well thought of.

I'd like to add it's best if you could provide pictures and document the process along the way so it benefits the others as well.

Regards,
    Phillipe.
    Last edited by Wild Ginger; 2nd Sep 2009 at 01:12.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Phillpe,

This is what i wants!

Wow! there alot of works, high cost of materials and time

As for filtering system I'm using 2 external cansiter and using 4x 4ft T5 and 4x3ftT5 for lighting system.

Misting system, Ventilation system and glass cover lid I need to pool another few hundred bucks. As for eggcrates... i dont understand why need eggcrates for this project...egg crate will start crumpled upon touching water. agree?

Any substitue for misting system, glass panel lid and ventilating system? cheaper choice?
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

the master have spoken

BTW, for sample viva, try visiting pet essential opposite ten mile junction. they have 1 vivarium, 1 paludarium and 1 terrarium on display there.

They also carry barks, tree vines and other vivarium accessories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Phillpe,

This is what i wants!

Wow! there alot of works, high cost of materials and time

As for filtering system I'm using 2 external cansiter and using 4x 4ft T5 and 4x3ftT5 for lighting system.

Misting system, Ventilation system and glass cover lid I need to pool another few hundred bucks. As for eggcrates... i dont understand why need eggcrates for this project...egg crate will start crumpled upon touching water. agree?

Any substitue for misting system, glass panel lid and ventilating system? cheaper choice?
    Hi,i believe the egg crate that they referring to is nt those crate that is used to hold the egg..but more of a large white plastic mesh..do correct me if i am wrong..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

No problem, Eddy!

I doubt the cost will be so exponentially high as you've pretty much the more costly items already on hand.

Your current filtration is more than enough to sustain the 6ft tank. Even one would suffice as your water volume will only be 10-20%. Same goes for lighting.

As for misting, i think you can eliminate that. You have 2 choices over this. One is through a wicking system and the other being your second filter canister acting as a constant rainbar to supply as a waterfall or stream. This you can work out the details whilst on the drawing board.

And as for eggcrates, i think you're referring to those meant for putting eggs. Below is the eggcrate which i'm referring to. Sturdy and light enough. You can get this at any fish shops for eg, C328. They sold as large pieces.

Yes, Mikex, this is the right one!

On another note, the glass lid provides a certain level of humidity to the plants inside and with the fans on it creates a more stable exchange of hot air and cool air. You've to remember that the heat given out by the lights will emit through and thus heating up the tank significantly. The fans are there to counter this. You can place it on a timer so it shuts off periodically.

So Eddy, any themes you've in mind? .... a japanese dense bamboo forest with clear running streams all around or a fallen tree half sunken with leaves strewn about.......?

Regards,
    Phillipe.
    Last edited by Wild Ginger; 2nd Sep 2009 at 12:12.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A well designed false bottom is critical. You would'nt want any stagnant bodies of water in a vivarium that size. Incorporate drainage into your false bottom so you can drain off excess water easily and for ease of flushing of detritus in future. Also important is the substrate. Choose one that has good drainage and does'nt foul up so fast.
    Aquafauna Supplies
    [email protected]
    Business registration: 53165583X
    Distributor for Fauna Marin
    Distributor for Reed Mariculture, Reef Nutrition, APBreed
    Distributor for Algagen
    Distributor for Dr G's Mariculture
    Distributor for Florida Aquafarms
    Distributor for Repashy Superfoods
    Reef & freshwater aquariums, vivarium, terrarium, paludarium.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

WOW!! The pics look absolutely STUNNING!!! Eddy don't need to consider or wait liao...
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cork bark vs tree bark from Malaysia timber /logging companies

Hi brothers,

If I use normal tree bark from the timber or logging companies in Malaysia rather than buy cork bark locally. Any side effect if use tree bark from timber/ logging companies for my future 6ft paladarium tank project or planted tank project.

I find the cork bark (2m long) very pricey so get tree bark from timber is basically free.

Please advise me , gurus.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast