Images
    Country
    Singapore

GH value in freshwater setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I did an 'iwagumi' scape with ADA Africana as substrate. Even though the stones were said to be inert but i think due to the acidity of the water, caused part of the stone to leech into the water.

Using the API 5-in-1 test strip, it showed 180ppm for GH. Its way too high!! What would be a good way to lower it without stressing the fauna even though my boraras uropthalmoides number is dwindling slowly but surely.

How to test the stones whether they are suitable for this setup? Because ultimately i want to introduce a pair of apistos into this 2ft setup.

Help appreciated. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Re: GH value in freshwater setup

ok im no expert but i do have some experience although not throughly been solved. i just shared abit what i've done to bring gh down. the stones if u can take some photo and post so that other ppl can help to identify. to test if the stone do contribute to the rise of gh, first you put some water in container and test the gh value, after that put in that rock, maybe wait a day to test the gh of that water. see how much the gh rise. For me, i also bought some rock that actually make the gh value sky rocket, didnt know it at first. in the beginning with the rock my gh was 18 and kh 7, after i took out my rocks and slates gh went down to 10 kh 4. it is that drastic change. before you do the test, my recommendation please by the liquid tester for both gh and kh. the strip wont help u at that much. hope i can help abit

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the pointers. Will get a GH KH test kit this weekend.

By the way, this is the setup.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i hoped your rocks is not the one causing the high GH, of not, u have to make compromise, nice scape or good water. i am almost in the mist of finding what causes high GH in my water. Last i measured is GH 11

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yea, biggest suspect (or the only) are the rocks. Will take out at least half of them this weekend and test the result...

Thought the online vendor and LFS that sold me said they are inert in water, apparently not, or its just some of the rocks. Not really sure.