Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malayan Box Turtle - Where to buy?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Malayan Box Turtle - Where to buy?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Am new here. Other than the ones I've heard are on sale in Chinatown for food, has anyone seen any Malayan Box Turtles (Cuora amboinensis) for sale in any of the pet or fish shops? Have tried a number of places, but the closest they have are the red-eared sliders.

Would really appreciate a point in the right direction, especially for a juvenile one.

Thanks so much for any help.

PM me if you'd rather not post.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Malayan Box Turtle - Where to buy?

I've seen them in a chinatown fish shop more than ten years back. That is the only place that i know off that sells them. I've not gone there for yrs now but you can go over there and enquire. By the way do take a pic of the turtle and show them cos i don't think they know the english common or scientific names.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

bro. didn't know you can buy them. thought not allowed.

anyway better stay clear from posting such stuff......AVA......AVA.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Found from AVA website that pet shops can sell Malayan Box Turtles.
    http://www.ava.gov.sg/AnimalsPetSect...xhib/PetShops/

Never seen them before though.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Thanks to you guys for trying to help. Am still looking for one. Don't know which fish shop in chinatown though, but I've seen them b4 also 10 yrs ago in Yishun. Probably b4 AVA started clamping down and you were able to get other tortoises as well.

As for them being illegal, I know they are legal, along with the red-eared sliders. Just about the only turtles/tortoises that are legal in SGP.

Used to have a Malayan Box when I was a kid, donkey's years ago, so I know they make good pets. Just want my kids now to get the same pleasure. They don't like the red-ears and neither do I.

Anyway, if anyone has any info that can help me track one down, would really appreciate it. Will owe you one.....

Thanks

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

i think u should go chinatown market look see look see. they may have some 'rare turtles' there being sold as food sometimes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

kept one before too, very cute.
    but will be very very hard to find one here in Singapore.
    have not seen them in lfs and they are banned from export in Malaysia due to high risk of extinction.

http://yubanet.com/enviro/Illegal-tr...-continues.php
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_323028.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Once again, thanks for all the helpful inputs I've gotten. Guess I'm getting impatient, so am thinking of getting one from Chinatown if available.

Does anyone know if Chinatown market has them currently and if possible, let me know exactly where the stall is? If you'd rather e-mail me, also can at [email protected].

Thanks so much

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok, went down to Chinatown market today and they did not have any. Just red ear sliders and softshell turtles.

So I'm open to anyone with any suggestions on where I can get one of these.

So sad.....

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I got mine from chinatown wet market many years back. Do visit there once in awhile as thats the only place I know that might have Malayan Box. Good luck bro!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Austria

Quote Originally Posted by niggy View Post
    Hi,

Am new here. Other than the ones I've heard are on sale in Chinatown for food, has anyone seen any Malayan Box Turtles (Cuora amboinensis) for sale in any of the pet or fish shops? Have tried a number of places, but the closest they have are the red-eared sliders.

Would really appreciate a point in the right direction, especially for a juvenile one.

Thanks so much for any help.

PM me if you'd rather not post.
    Sorry the 1st impression I got from your post is that you are quite heartless. You knew or thought of a chinatown shop selling these turtle as food, and you want to get them as a pet but it never crossed your mind at all, to make it your 1st priority to go to those shops to buy your pet there. The one turtle you buy is the one turtle you save from death. If I were in your shoes, i'd buy up ALL the turtles there, to save them, but not before I call up AVA and get the guy arrested.

But don't bother. I went to the shop in CHinatown already wanting to save the turtles. The ugly fat oily Chinese man suspected something was amiss. He did not sell me any, even though the tip off I received was that the MBT are hidden and not displayed openly in his shop.

I hope all the disgusting people in the world who harm or kill turtles or tortoises die.
    Last edited by Simon; 7th Dec 2009 at 23:52.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Slowmo

We appreciate your concern over the tortoise, but please refrain from using SMS/IM lingo.

I have also edited a phase in your reply that discriminate against a certain group of people. We are here to learn from each other and not create disharmony.

Last but not least, there are many ways to educate the public in the consumption of such animals. Not buying them from such stalls is one of them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For reference:

http://www.ava.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/0...boxturtle2.pdf

I would suggest that people stay away from keeping the Malayan Box Turtle. We have so many Red Eared Sliders in our parks and reservoirs, that it is a joke that we still have LFS selling baby sliders, of which the majority end up dead or released into the wild.

I've seen some stores with the Malayan Box Turtle, but as the shop is required to track the stock of their MBTs, I don't think they want the hassle.

They are not meant for consumption purposes locally, since according to the AVA website, they are only meant as pets. So if you see any in the market, do the right thing and call AVA, because they are probably smuggled in from Malaysia. Or save one from almost certain death, by buying one instead of buying from the LFSes.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by niggy View Post
    Ok, went down to Chinatown market today and they did not have any. Just red ear sliders and softshell turtles.

So I'm open to anyone with any suggestions on where I can get one of these.

So sad.....

Thanks
    Slowmo, if you want to criticise, you should at least take the time to look through all the posts. He did go down to Chinatown to try to buy.

In any case, buying up all the MBTs merely serves to benefit the seller/importer. There are other ways to make your point without cursing and heaping death onto others.

Feedback Score

Don't try to find. It really very rare in singapore now even AVA give approval to let pet shop to sell them but they are under control and cannot come in to singapore so where to find. Only can get them in the wild but is better to let them breed then to keep them lonely with you. Can we breed them?? Answer is no. I also hoping to see them wherever I go nature reserve. Let them be free and is supposing to be one of our local species.
    Treat your fishes like your baby. The sign and symptom is the same but cannot talk.
    Go nature

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Still looking for one.

PM or email me at [email protected]

Thanks to those who have tried to help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro niggy, saw one adult Box Turtle last week at Tropical Fish International at Pasir Ris Farmway 2... You might want to call them to check out whether it is still available.

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Merv...

Tried calling them....apparently it's the boss's personal pet, so not for sale.

Really appreciate the heads up though....thanks.

Thanks to anyone who has been trying to help too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks gachua, emailed the person a few days ago, but got no reply. I guess it must be sold?

Appreciate the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by gachua View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast