Country
    Singapore

Fan angle

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Golfmad's question:
    Sorry to borrow this thread but was wondering if it is better to have the fan facing the water directly as in Hippo's case or would it be better to have it shooting at an angle across the tank ? BTW, does anybody know where we can purchase the clamps for holding these fans at an angle ?
    Not sure which is better, but personally, I prefer to blow the fans at an angle. Less turbulence on the water surface and a great area covered. Part of the idea is to improve air flow over the water surface.

You can get clamps that will fit both the 12cm and 9cm CPU fans by ISTA. I got mine from Nature Aquarium a few months ago. Not sure which other LFS carry them.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm positioned my fans at 45deg by attaching them to the light hood holder using wire fasteners (i'm using the modified Atman lights from Nature). I tried to let them blow directly but i felt that the turbulence was too great - the fans are only 1+ inch above the water surface and i didnt feel like building another stand to raise them higher.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine is a AC fan use (the same as Teo use in his 4ft). It comes with a clamp but is quite noisy. It is positioned at 60 degree. I perfer it this way as it covers a larger area and there is more ventilation. Hot air is blown out of the tank at the other side.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tks for replies. I too felt that direct blowing resulting in considerable turbulence. I know NA sells the clamps together with the fans. Do they sell the clamps separately ? I already have the fans and only want the clamps ? Anyone knows where to buy the clamps ?

Tks,Kelvin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, Nature do sell the clamp separately. I bought mine for my AC fan from them a few months ago.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tks Richy for info. I will go down and get it from them. Rgds,

I have a 120mm(100+CFM) AC fan hooked to a dimmer switch. I let it blow straight down but use a piece of glass to disperse the air. By moving the glass or slowing the fan I can control the temp on a 100g by 10F in a semi open hood.

Couple of notes;
    AC fans are nice as they need no adapters, but are noisier.
    Larger fans produce significantly larger air flows.
    By slowing the fan by 30% I reduce the noise by 50%.
    Bought 4 fans off ebay for ~$4 each
    if I keep the fan at an angle it seems to wear out in a few months.
    keeping the fan horizontal seems to last longer.
    the turbulence from the fan blowing on the water causes evaporation which cools the water significantly
    the turbulence from the fan blowing on the water causes CO2 to evaporate
    James Hoftiezer

Tank Journal - Aquascape ( Latest / Archive )
    Tank Journal - Parts and Construction ( Latest / Archive )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    mine is 2X DC fans blowing parallel to the water surface. overall water temp drops 2degrees. i think it the losing of latent heat thru evaporation that makes the temp drops... so i dun think its neccessary to blow directly at the water surface, causes too much turbulance too. Anyway.. haven't tried blowing directly at the water surface.. what's the temp that i can drop?