Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Anubias nana leaves seems burnt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Anubias nana leaves seems burnt.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

everyone knows anubias nana is a very hardy plant. i have one in my one foot tank lighted by a 13w kenis PL light and it's growing extremely well.

however, my other nanas in my 2 ft tank seems to be having problem. some of it's leaves seems burnt and slowly disappearing leaving only the skeleton of the leaf. I have a T5 2x 12 W (I think) lighting for this 2 ft tank. I on the 2 bulb for about 6 hours and then 1 bulb at other times in total about 12 hours.

My other plants seems to be fine. Is the light too strong for my anubias nana?

Near Far NW suburbs of Chicago,Illinois USA
    Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Re: anubias nana leaves seems burnt.

I got the same issues with my nana. What I have noticed is that with my nana in a 52US gallon tank( 198 liters) with one 40w 48" bulb and a 27w power compact kicker bulb. Ive had it in sand and in sand/flourite mix, with sand it grew fine, but when I switched to a sand/flourite bed it went into remission. I switched EVERYTHING out and have straight flourite as a base. Now I am at 6 new leaves per week with each anubias' I have in the tank.

12x2 is 24w, can you give a liter or gallon size to the tank or atleast overall dimensions to further figure out what you are missing here. On a side note, my anubias go thru a die off phase for about a week then typically within 7 days the new leaves appear.

I keep my bulbs on for 10 hours max( typical natural photoperiod)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My tank size is about 21 US gallon or about 80 litres.

The roots seems fine to me.
    I have read somewhere that it could be due to some kind of deficiency like potassium . I will try to put my nana under shade to see if the condition improve.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

ok, yes Id try it in shade to see if that helps but you are 1.14 watts per gallon, I had mine up up close to the light( my tank from surface to bed is about 18" so I had the nana on a crevice in my driftwood about 4" from the light, yea thats where my issues started, now it is directly under where it was in shade and that I think is contributing to the new growth.

My tank is hard to tell on because of the variables I have, My nana could be doing better because my filters push water up thru the substrate thus oxygenating the roots more then my HOB filters did.

I dont even know where to get potassium for my tank.

Do you have the nana tied off or just free planted, rhizome above surface?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I had mine on wood.

here's a couple of picture to show you what I am talking about.

notice the edge of the leaves got "burnt" .

This last one here, notice how the color of the leaves had changed into a darker color on some part of the leaves. Slowly it will become like the leave behind, which is only the skeleton.

Can someone diagnose the problem and hopefully give a solution?

THanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Looks like mine did before it died off, now I got all new growth on it.

Anything recently happen in the tank? how is the ammonia doing?
    Last edited by IlOutfitter; 10th Sep 2009 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anubias nana leaves seems burnt.

I have "transplanted" the nana with "burnt" leaves into my 1 ft tank where my other nana is growing extremely well.

If it recovers, problem will probably be the water in my 2 ft tank, possibly lacking in some nutrients due to competition from other plants. Quite a lot of plants in there.

I did not test the water. The fish/crayfish and other plants seems to be doing well. I guess ammonia is ok as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Plants always show the symptoms last, I think your nana might be growing as well, but you are right about the nutrients.

Here is mine,

here is another anubias I have that has started to come back.

My issue was ammonia and I lost alot including the anubias doing what they did, I removed the rhizomes and put them in my QT tank in a alum dip a blanching rinse and back into the tank. All I did was remove my sand bed and used straight flourite , stopped dosing and just had a little over 1WPG on it. I do have a 27w 6500K PCF bulb directly on that part of the tank for regrowth, so far it has worked a bit.

This might help you and others as well, not just anubias but all live plants
    http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm
    Last edited by IlOutfitter; 10th Sep 2009 at 23:46.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

24W for a 80 liter tank is a rather low.
    Are the anubias the emergent variety that you just bought from the shop?
    These may melt off as the submersed leaves start to grow.
    You should always keep dosing potassium and lower the trace element dosage considerably when fighting algae but never stop dosing. You want the plants to keep growing.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just sharing that i had the same problem of melting nana (leaves and eventually the shoots and whole plant) and found from researching the internet that its likely due to a disease for nana which might be trigggered from new environment. I cut away those melting leaves before it spreads and all is well again. Most likely happen for golden nana.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The nana that I got which melted and got burnt leaves was put in some water that was quite bad, probably due to hydrogen sulphide poisoning.

Now that water conditions has improved, the nana is recovering and stopped showing signs of melting and burnt leaves.