Country
    Singapore

Should be BGA...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone...i need some help here.
    After searching the net for articles on algae types, i think the film of green algae covering parts of my gravel is none other than the blue green algae. argh..
    strangely enough the BGA is giving off bubbles and multiplying fast. I have tried to siphon them out manually but they keep returning after every 2 days or so. i m tired of the smell and the back-aching moments while siphoning. so i think i had no choice but to resort to using erthromycin...but my concern is, are there any side effects of using this chemical? Especially on my fishes and my newly planted plants? Will it kill off the so-called good bacteria in my filter? what is the dosage required and duration? Can i get my hands on this chemical at LFS?

ThAnKs A LoT!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have not experience any death from using erythromycin nor did the plants react differently during this period.. my medication schedule is 1 tablet every day for 5 days, on the 4th day do a major water change.. dosage for my 4ft is 1 tablet.. have to reconfirm with those who used erythromycin before

u can get it from yr GP..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Try to search this forum for "erythromycin" and you should find a lot of discussion on it.

One thing I noted when treating with the anti-biotic is that as the BGA breaks down, a lot of Nitrogen becomes available for the plants again. Be ready to have fast growing plants like Frogbits, Hornwort etc in there so suck up the excess nutrients. Otherwise, BBA would be the next algae to attack the tank. I experienced this explosive growth on my fast growing plants as the tank recovers.

Good luck.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/9/2003 1:31:14 AM

... I have tried to siphon them out manually but they keep returning after every 2 days or so. i m tired of the smell and the back-aching moments while siphoning. so i think i had no choice but to resort to using erthromycin...
    ----------------
    You have to go to the root of the problem. Otherwise even when the anti-biotics wear off, you may find it returning again.

Usually, NO3 limited tank will have this problem. Check your NO3 level and dose some KNO3 accordingly.

Siphon away the BGA, big water change and adjust the water condition and see whether situation improve.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Two things to note:
    - Erthromycin is a prescription anti-biotic. Not that easy to get from your GP.
    - There's a chance of breeding a Erthromycin resistant BGA.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    It should be prescription but folks in the USA are not that enlighten to make it as such.
    We are doing _everything_ we can to make antibiotics ineffective. It boggles my mind at the idiocy........

To get rid of BGA in 3 days:
    Try this and it'll cost you less and be faster and more effective:
    Water change50%. Clean filter if it's clogged etc, clean tank of algae, trim plants as needed, trim stem plants so they are not too close to the water's surface.

Add KNO3 right afterwards.

Now turn the light off for 3 days and put a blanket over the tank so that no light at all get in. This nbit is important. Disconnect CO2 during this time. Aerate the tank etc if you want or increase surface movement etc.

Remove blanket and turn lights on/CO2 etc.
    Do 50% water change and add KNO3 right back after wards. Add other nutrients consistenly from now on and don't let the tank run out of NO3.

BGA will not come back.

This method doesn't cost you anything.
    Hard to sell it in a bottle though.......

But it is a very consistent method and works.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh no.. i did not manage to find erthromycin nor maracyn at any LFS i visited today. even petmart also don't have. Considered going to the GP but my mum(nurse) says it is unlikely that the doc would prescribe. Besides i m not sick and ya, trying to avoid the SARS at clinics..LoLZ.
    So i settled for this general algicide i bought at petmart. Its is manufactured by this taiwanese company HUEY HUNG but the chemicals are not listed.

It stated " it is effective for controlling algae such as green algae, diatoms, whip algae, blue green algae etc. Use algicide regularly and dim the light.." add 2 c.c to every 10 litres water, then half dose after 2-3 days until algae is controlled.

My question is, do i just add the full dosage on the first day, then wait for 2-3 days, before i add the half doses on the 4th day and so on? Or should i add lesser than recommended? ALso, should i continue my usual lighting periods cos my plants are newly established, will it make the treatment less effective? Besides that, i assume i need the plants to absorb the excess nutrients produced right? Pardon me for my questions.

ThanKs AgaIn..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    eLf...go for the root cause of it which is most likely to be NO3 deficient. Plantbrain aka Tom Barr has given you the solution to the problem..why are you against it? It works...trust me. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    It works faster (3 days vs 5 days) than antiboitics and cost you nothing.

There really is no place for algicides in a planted aquarium.

You are trying to grow the plants, not kill algae.
    When the plants grow, the algae does not.
    So we just take care of the plant's needs. When you don't, you get algae. It really is that simple.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/9/2003 10:19:00 PM
    My question is, do i just add the full dosage on the first day, then wait for 2-3 days, before i add the half doses on the 4th day and so on? Or should i add lesser than recommended? ALso, should i continue my usual lighting periods cos my plants are newly established, will it make the treatment less effective? Besides that, i assume i need the plants to absorb the excess nutrients produced right? Pardon me for my questions.

ThanKs AgaIn..
    ----------------
    Forget about the algicides! Take our advice. Otherwise, you will find lousy looking plants and other endless algae problem. (Did you wonder why the label says "use the algicide regularly"? ... probably it does not remove the root cause...and IF you use it regularly it will probably wipe out your plants as well.)

You are likely to have nutrient DEFICIENCY rather than excess nutrients. NO3 is likely to be the key. BGA thrives on low NO3 environment.

The trick is to get the plants growing well again. Naturally, the algae will go away.

In the case of BGA, siphon out as much BGA as possible. Do a 3-day blackout as Tom has suggested. This will clean up the BGA. Dose KNO3 to prevent it coming back.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok...actually i m also not convinced of using the algicide[]. I should have heed your advice instead, and not wasted money on that algicide.argh

Pardon me...but how can i increase the NO3? Do they sell Potassium nitrate solution or what?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u can dose KNO3... obtainable from Dr. Mallick

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey..thanks. I bought the KNO3 from Dr.Mallick today. But i have no idea how much to dose as there are no instructions on the label. Can anyone help me?thank u.

i m curious to know whether increasing NO3 will promote other types of algae growth or not? Cos during this period where the plants are not photosynthesizing and not absorbing the nutrients, other algae types will tend to fluorish?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My MOSS on the driftwood has a strong attraction to BGA thus after countless manual removal! I decieded to remove the Driftwood as I can see BGA migrating to other place like my riccia!

Keeping in a dark corner in my toilet, the BGA turned brown (died) and everything back to normal! So Keep you Water nutrient in check.. To much or too less of which ever elements will result in algae (any)!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Now that's some tasty Oscillatoria!

The blackout works on BGA very well.
    Try it and see. Add KNO3 right before and right after and keep up on it from here on.

Regards,
    Tom Barr