Country
    Singapore

Cladophora Aegagropila (Marimo)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys
    anyone has these marimo balls in your tank? I think its a harmless algae ball. Bought one a few days back. The cost was quite high, but i bought it coz my girlfriend said it was cute. Anyway i did a bit of reading on it and its said that you can cut it in half and it will grow out again... but growth is reportedly slow. If you don't rotate it often it will kind of lose its spherical shape. And the fun part is that you can squeeze it out like a sponge! Been playing with it for a few days now... And to those regulars at Teo's... have you all seen this marimo ball being sold there? And if so whats the price like? Would like to add in a few more balls.[]

Thanks and Regards
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lighthammer, yes, I have seen them at teo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for replying Simon.
    Do they come in season or available all year round? Wouldn't want to make a wasted trip there as i stay all the way in the east...
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Saw that at the "taiwan" shop at Serangoon North a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe you can call the shop or Teo to check it out before you go.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    You can see a recent posting of My big balls over at Aquaria Central. While a bit tongnue in cheek, the advice is real, the commentary is somewhat suspect.
    Good current, lots of light, CO2 nutrients.

They do have sexual stages where they will attach to gravel and non living substrates etc but folks woulfd generally have to induce this with (NH4)2SO4 additions etc. Not recommended.

I've had them get bigger than a grape fruit. Pretty slow growing.
    There's a saltwater version of this similar mporphology called C. prolifera native to Florida and the Caribbean.
    Baseball size max in size generally. The FW species gets up to soccer ball size.
    Takes a long time to get that large though.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Will the "algae"/ ball spread to other parts of the tank?
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I dun think they will spread around, which means that they have lost their ball shape, if you keep rotating them around once in awhile. Its to ensure that all sides of the ball have light...