Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Shark in distress

Feedback Score

Shark in distress

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The banded cat shark I've acquired is now down with suspected white spot...."ick", I've tried waterlife myxazin and yet no signs of improvement. I've read articles about increasing the water temperature and lowering the salinity of the water but not too sure about the details. Can someone please suggest some effective means to help me overcome this problem. Sharks are generally sensitive towards copper based products and the waterlife protozin and cuprazin is not recommended for sharks either.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi dodo

first of all it may be good to check your water quality especially for high nitrate values. to treat ick, dose your tank at 1 tbsp to 5 gallons of water and you may need to keep this dosage up for at least 14 days....

however i dont know how your shark is going to react to salt....sorry....perhaps some of hte forumers here has more experience with the shark that you are keeping
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/1/2002 2:37:20 AM

hi dodo

first of all it may be good to check your water quality especially for high nitrate values. to treat ick, dose your tank at 1 tbsp to 5 gallons of water and you may need to keep this dosage up for at least 14 days....

----------------
    ah, david, you're suggesting that he dose salt for a marine tank?

how low is your sg now, dodo?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what marine tank?.....banded cat shark is marine?.......if so....wrong call....[]
    [email protected]

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dodo...
    try this brand of medication; it is non copper based.. it is safe to be used with corals and invertebrates.... so.. it should be fine with banded cat shark.. Sharks are generally very sensitive creatures to salinity level changes.. so, i dun recommend lowering it.
    Anyway, do not expect the medication to work wonders coz it can take up to 21 days for u to see the full results of the medication..
    meanwhile, continue to monitor the water quality parameters.. (me assuming that u have a matured tank) and how big is the tank? does it have enuff space for the shark to go ard?? who are its co-occupants? How was it introduced to its new environment? all this factors play a part in creating the stress in the fish.. Hope that this might be useful to u.
    Oh yeah, perhaps u might like to post this question at the marine forum. Some ppl might have tried other means and it worked...

David, u are a real joker.. hahaha.. adding more salt to a marine fish.. hahaha.. real joke of the year..

All the best...
    Kelvin
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ...but seriously i wasnt ......
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    uhmm, so what medication are you telling him to use?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh dear.. i must be getting old.. i actually left out the name of the medication.. it is called EXODIN.. available in petmart.. $18 i think.. can't recall already..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your suggestion. Might be getting the exodin soon. Just to recap, the tank is a 4 footer and only that 3/4 foot lonely darling lives in it. The white spot seems to be decreasing but another new problem arises. Just yesterday, I begins to notice a mass of white pin head size creatures crawling on the surface of the tank especially near the bottom part of the tank. Too small for me to describe their shape to you. what do you think they were?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to recap, the tank is a 4 footer and only that 3/4 foot lonely darling lives in it. The white spot seems to be decreasing but another new problem arises. Just yesterday, I begins to notice a mass of white pin head size creatures crawling on the surface of the tank especially near the bottom part of the tank. Too small for me to describe their shape to you. what do you think they were?
    ----------------
    [/quote]

Dodo, can roughly describe it? does it look a bit like worms?? wriggling abt.. can't help u if u dun describe to me.. if it is like what i descibe above.. u can try getting a dwarf wrasses like clown or yellow wrasses.. they do the job for u... [] i tried it and it works..
    How old is the shark when u bought it?
    any live rocks?? or any place for it to hide.. these could be the factors as well..
    glad to be of help...

Feedback Score
    Those tiny creature did wriggle like the sea monkey but is about 5 times smaller then that. They dun swim but stick on to the glass and wriggle. they can move in all direction and are white in color. most of them are somewhat oval in shape except for some that are elongated. about less then 1 mm in length. mostly stick around the protein skimmer area. the shark is currently not so much affected by them, but I dun think they should belong in the tank. the shark is less then a foot, eating well though need to be spoon fed with a clamp. Me going down to china town today to get the wrasse you recommend. thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dodo,
    i know what u mean.. i encountered that phenomenon b4.. yap.. the wrasses will do the job.. hehe..
    Kelvin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dodo,
    Just checking on how is the situation coming along...
    how is the medication.. did it help? currently, me trying out this method, getting garlic juices mixed with the food that u used to feed the fishes and see whether it helps to get rid of the white spots.. this method is swore to me by my friend.. me test out first.. then let u know..
    btw, did the wrasses did the job of removing the white wriggling worm-like stuff??
    Regards,
    Kelvin[]

Feedback Score
    I got the crown to do the job instead. Yes, they did snap at those wriggling creatures but unfortunately, this morning, one of the crown did from suspected ick. Its body was covered with white crystaline power. This is really anoying....just when you start to see progress, another nasty problem surface.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    did u get the medication? another method that worked on my purple tang is garlic food.. i.e.extracting the juices from garlic and mix them with the food that u feed the fishes.. it will work wonders.. but u might want to hang on first.. me still experimenting it..
    ok.. perhaps u can get another clown wrasse lor.. hehehe
    any problem, just let us know..
    kelvin