Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp behaviour

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently I added a few cherry shrimps into my tank. I noticed that they tend to hide among plants at the back of the tank. Last week, I added some malayan shrimps. The addition of the malayan shrimps seems to encourage the cherry shrimps to mix around with them and now they start to come to the open as well. It's seeems that the company of the malayan shrimps have make them feel more comfortable to move around.

I also have a handful of yamatos in the tank which are quite big, some almost triple the size of the malayan. They do not seem to bother the malyan at all. However, I also have a ghost shrimp in the tank that attack the small malayan. I have since remove it from the tank. I have now got 4 different shrimp species in the tank, including 1 wood shrimp. (which is, of course quite harmless)

Anyone experienced the same situation?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yup
    malayans tend to dislike being left in the open, probably because their shells are rather soft compared to ghost shrimp and the like
    when you have yamatos in there swimming about, they get the idea that it's safe and thus they become more active

the tank being heavily planted helps too