Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Whitish Duckweed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have some leaves of duckweed very pale in colour. Whitish or yellowish, is it not enough light or not enough nutrient.
    This is grown in a temporary plastic container in water placed by the window. I started with 3 pieces, it came as additional when i got a bag of other plant. since it was only 3 pieces and i'm not sure if they will survive i kept them separate. now grow until 9 separate pieces already. wondering if i should add ferts, i don't have aquatic fertilisers only normal plant liquid fert, but i dare not use that. if not i have to collect the fish waste water when changing tank water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Whitish Duckweed

i used to have this problem , i realize its due to low photo period.
    you may like to experiment it to see how

Near Far NW suburbs of Chicago,Illinois USA
    Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Mine turned white with no water and no light, added water yesterday and they are back to a pale green again, I am using lesser duckweed.

adding ferts wouldnt be a bad idea but I think if you go 10 hours of light 14 hours off it will come back.

is there anything else in with the duckweed? even feeding a few pieces of flakes a day will keep it healthy, I dont dose my tanks and my DW is in a QT tank with gravel thats it.
    I am just going off what is working for me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi my experience :

my duckweed started to turn yellow and white when i started to do more water changes for my tank full of stem plants like elodea, cabomba, tapegrass.

I quite sure its the water column nutrients.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. I believe it's probably the lack of nutrients or bad water. duckweed in my established tank growing better than in the temporary tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Quote Originally Posted by 43a57 View Post
    I have some leaves of duckweed very pale in colour. Whitish or yellowish, is it not enough light or not enough nutrient.
    This is grown in a temporary plastic container in water placed by the window. I started with 3 pieces, it came as additional when i got a bag of other plant. since it was only 3 pieces and i'm not sure if they will survive i kept them separate. now grow until 9 separate pieces already. wondering if i should add ferts, i don't have aquatic fertilisers only normal plant liquid fert, but i dare not use that. if not i have to collect the fish waste water when changing tank water.
    Put a fish in there, sounds like you need some nutrients...Nitrogen mainly. By adding a fish, the fish waste will feed the plants. A guppy would work well for such a setup, since they don't need filtration.
    Oh, duckweed will grow in low light/full shade, so don't think that is the issue.

Regards
    * MoZ Aquatics
    * Contact person: Mosiah (Mo)
    * Telephone number(s): cell: 086-8844287
    * Business address: Sukhumvit 77Rd. Bangkok, Thailand 10250
    * Email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy Re: Whitish Duckweed

Nitrogen mainly i the problem, i also seen this problem before, but after i add in a few fish, the weed grow back. now it cover up my whole tank surface.....