Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

GEX HOF "S" or "M"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi I am thinking of buying a HOF with larger media capacity for my shrimps only tank.

dimension : 40x26x26 (cm), nominally 21L

Can anyone advise which HOF should I get, a GEX "S" - up to 23L by manufacturer or "M" - up to 35L by manufacturer. I dont have any flow rate information from the website.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: GEX HOF "S" or "M"

Good morning,

i'm using the GEX HOF S on my 40x28x26 and its working very well. If u accidentally stir the subtract ( depends on which type ), it will be come clear like 1/2 hour later.just remember to dump in as many cremic rings as possible. Over all, its a good HOF. If you can get ur hands on the M size, use it. The bigger the better. Actually i would recommand the 501 canister. Its one of the best filter for shrimp only tank, compact and quiet.
    - have a great day -

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    Good morning,

i'm using the GEX HOF S on my 40x28x26 and its working very well. If u accidentally stir the subtract ( depends on which type ), it will be come clear like 1/2 hour later.just remember to dump in as many cremic rings as possible. Over all, its a good HOF. If you can get ur hands on the M size, use it. The bigger the better. Actually i would recommand the 501 canister. Its one of the best filter for shrimp only tank, compact and quiet.
    - have a great day -

Hi Evil,

Hows the tank set you bought recently.

I would very much like to try the M size, since I usually prefer to go one size up. Is the flow rate too strong?

I am using Shibura on another 2ft narrow tank. Nominal 40L. I still prefer HOF, no piping to fix up. GEX is good, compared to other HOF, can fill up a lot more filter media.

Cheers and thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh, i collect it yesterday. Going to use it as a spare tank. The rest of the item either keep as spare or use on my other tanks. Just that i went home without any cherry red shrimps. lots of duck weed, mosses, a stalk of mini nana.
    One thing good about GEX HOF is that it has adjustable intake flow rate. if your are afraid that the flow rate is too much still, you can try to adjust the plastic at the out flow. If not just add water to reach the out flow. That should do the trick.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi got the gex M at C328 yesterday.

Its BIG, plenty of filter media space and flow rate can be adjusted.

However, I find that for the same flow rate my Shibura more quiet. have to wear ear plug when sleep inside aircon room where it is more quiet. I light sleeper.

Overall, good stuff especially the water louvre, you can ramp up the flow without disturbing the plants inside the tank, good for shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

both to me are good capacity wise only. I have a S one and seems to me i can put enough filter materials like carbon and ceremic ring for my GEX HOF and i am happy with it.

For me cleaning is easily done . i have problem with my external carninster take out even with valve i sure make my place abit wet .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    Good morning,

- have a great day -
    Bro, which LFS has the Eden 501?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by deacon View Post
    Bro, which LFS has the Eden 501?
    i have seen it in C328 you might want to check it out

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys. May i ask if anyone has any information on where i can get my hands on the GEX L-size HOF filter? As most LFS i been to only have the S size. I'm making a 2ft planted tank and want to save the trouble of external canisters and pipings.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i think i remember seeing it at NA. around 3 to 4 red notes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've never seen the L Size for the Gex HOF actually. I'm using the M sized one quite happily on a small brackish water tank.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm using the S and I like it because it comes with sponge for the inlet as well as an adjustable deflector for the water coming out so it doesn't stir up the substrate.

One bad thing is that the lid is just "placed" onto the unit. Nothing to secure it so if I lift up the unit carelessly, it'll fall off and crack. It's also loose and contribute to this rattling noise which drives me crazy at night. May have to DIY some rubber dampener soon...

If going for the larger "M", better check if the tank has enough depth to allow the HOF to sit in...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i am using the L gex hof , the in build venturi and adjustable deflector is really a plus point , wasted it didnt have skimmer function if not will be perfect

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm using the Gex M HOF.
    According to the instruction manual (I don't understand Japnese), but it seems that M flow rate is 360/430 litres and L flow rate is 400/480 litres.

The filter seems to make a slight tremble like noise ever since I lowered the flow rate. Is anyone experiencing this?
    Otherwise it would be one of the best HOF in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The rattling noise is present even in their internal filters. I have an e-Roka Mini internal filter from GEX, and the noise is annoying. Even my Eden 501 defeats the expensive GEX in terms of noise levels.

While other GEX products might be good, their HOFs and other filters, probably need more work. Some other brands, like Eheim might be better.

The sponge that comes with these GEX filters, can be purchased separately, and rather cheaply. I'm getting some soon as spares for other uses.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by alas View Post
    I'm using the Gex M HOF.
    According to the instruction manual (I don't understand Japnese), but it seems that M flow rate is 360/430 litres and L flow rate is 400/480 litres.

The filter seems to make a slight tremble like noise ever since I lowered the flow rate. Is anyone experiencing this?
    Otherwise it would be one of the best HOF in my opinion.

I own a GEX M.
    In my experience you cannot adjust the flow rate too low, otherwise there will be a slight tremble noise.

Also, try not place any solid or hard media type (like ceramic ring and biohome) near the impeller area, the solid media will greatly amplify the vibration!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    The rattling noise is present even in their internal filters. I have an e-Roka Mini internal filter from GEX, and the noise is annoying. Even my Eden 501 defeats the expensive GEX in terms of noise levels.

While other GEX products might be good, their HOFs and other filters, probably need more work. Some other brands, like Eheim might be better.

The sponge that comes with these GEX filters, can be purchased separately, and rather cheaply. I'm getting some soon as spares for other uses.
    I have a Shiruba canister (similar to Eden 501) side by side my GEX M. Very quiet compared to GEX.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah my GEX M is not the quietest filter, I sometimes have to reseat the plastic cover because it somehow vibrates itself slightly out of place and starts producing a low hum.

My eheim canisters are much quieter (Classic 2213 and Pro 2226) though its really not too noisy, usually the trickling water is louder than the HOF itself.

I had a larger sized oceanfree HOF that was way noisier than this GEX though, and that thing died within 2 months, I just tossed it, I do not recommend Oceanfree HOFs, reliability aside, their performance was kinda bleah.

I managed to get the M sized one into a fairly shallow tank though, 20cm depth by using just a single section of the plastic intake tube they provided.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I had experienced with the Gex M not long ago. As i placed the filter on a tank beside my living room tv, the small noise can be kind of irritating. However at night when I sleep, due to the quietness, it sort of amplify the noise created by the filter. The flow rate adjuster is totally useless because it's quite obvious you can't turn down the flow as it will cause a very loud, yes very loud noise compared to full flow.

In the end I got a quieter filter and sold away the Gex M hof.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you guys can try cut a air tube and fit the air tube on the place where you hang your HOF. This will cushion the HOF and your tank which lessen the vibration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast