Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Hikari sinking carnivore pellet stench?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question Hikari sinking carnivore pellet stench?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone using the above to feed their bichirs? The water in my office tank has this stench which I believe is coming from the pellets. I'm skeptic to feed the same pellets to the 2 other albino sens in my room. Will I have to resort to live feeders to avoid the stench. Kindly advise thank you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hikari sinking carnivore pellet stench?

How often do you perform your waterchange, and whats the frequency of feeding. The stench might be coming from the presence of a build up of ammonia in your water. Ive used Hikari sinking carnivore pellets and it doesnt leave a stench in my water.

Live feeders for birchirs can introduce parasites, and once they get hooked to the feeders, its hard to convert them back to eating pellet food. if you are still paranoid about the idea of the hikari pellets, maybe you can try frozen foods like brine shrimp or market prawns, just try to feed them a variety and they'll appreciate you for it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm doing 20% water change every week then, I had to break 1 pellet into smaller chunks to feed my baby albino sen. It's getting 1 pellet each day. I make it a point to take out the remaining chunks after 10-15 minutes in the hopes to avoid the smell.
    Can I resort to market shrimps as a long-term alternative? My bichir seems to be loving the shrimps that I'm hand-feeding it. I' think I'll feed pellets when she gets bigger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sure you can, just try to introduce new food now and then so that they wouldnt get hooked onto the market shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Okay I will try to vary its diet. Thank you for your advice

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Did you overfeed and resulted in leftover food the next day?

I think all fish tanks have some fish waste stench, so long as there are livestock inside. And in the office environment, this stench get stronger due to the lack of ventilation.

Try adding a packet of charcoal to see whether if it help in reducing the stench. If not, find a tank cover and this should help keeping the stench from going too far.