Country
    Singapore

Talk at Hortpark

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, everyone,

Professor Benito Tan will be giving a talk at the Fruit Room, Hortpark on the 17th of October (Saturday) at 3 pm to 4.30 pm. Here are the details:

Title: The Amazing World of Bryophytes- Unveiling its Science and Beauty

Synopsis:
    Embrace the rich diversity of Bryophytes such as Liverworts, Mosses and Hornworts, found in the tropics and learn more about its ecology, economic importance and the conservation of this group of little known plants in this talk-cum-demonstration session. See how these plant groups are used as ornamental plants in the design and building of aquarium and terrarium, and get tips on how to grow them at home!

Speaker: Dr. Benito C. Tan, The Singapore Botanic Gardens and National University of Singapore.

Demonstration by Mr. Loh Kwek Leong from Killies.com., Ms Serena Lee from Herbarium, SBG, and Ms Ng Yimin from NUS.

2 books that were written by the professor - "A guide to the common liverworts and hornworts of Singapore" and "A guide to the mosses of Singapore" will be available for sale during the talk. The professor told me he wouldn't mind autographing the books.

I'm sure it will be an interesting talk so mark the date down on your calendar.
    My demo is nothing much. I'm just going to show how to set up a small fish tank with the various aquarium mosses. I'm sure you guys already know how to do this. In fact, you probably know more than me

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Talk at Hortpark

aiya the talks are always on Saturday afternoons, which is a bad bad time for me ;(
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Great! Hope to see Dr Benito and witness the moss expert, Mr Loh, at work.
    Do we need to register and pay?
    Tried to search in the NP website but couldn't find this event...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

WoW ! my ex-prof is going to give a talk! lol, his one of the few lectures that i do not sleep in. hahaha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by feide View Post
    Great! Hope to see Dr Benito and witness the moss expert, Mr Loh, at work.
    Do we need to register and pay?
    Tried to search in the NP website but couldn't find this event...
    Not that I'm trying to be humble but really, I'm no expert. I'm just someone who's been in the hobby longer than most.

Admission to the talk is free. You do not need to register. Just turn up on the day and grab a seat. According to Hortpark, such talks usually attract only about 20 people at the most. The professor hopes for more. I hope many of moss-lovers here would make a point to attend the talk to meet the prof who's really a very nice guy. If you have an interesting moss or liverwort, bring it and show it to him.

I've known the prof for several years now and one thing I can say about him - his life is nothing but mosses

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb View Post
    Not that I'm trying to be humble but really, I'm no expert. I'm just someone who's been in the hobby longer than most.

Admission to the talk is free. You do not need to register. Just turn up on the day and grab a seat. According to Hortpark, such talks usually attract only about 20 people at the most. The professor hopes for more. I hope many of moss-lovers here would make a point to attend the talk to meet the prof who's really a very nice guy. If you have an interesting moss or liverwort, bring it and show it to him.

I've known the prof for several years now and one thing I can say about him - his life is nothing but mosses

Loh K L
    Thanks for the info, will be there.
    Well, I am just mighty impressed with your passion in mosses. Been reading your posts.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question, if i want to have a better understanding of bryophytes such as moss and liverworts before i venture in blindly will it be good for me to go? Hortpark is the one beside alexander-point?
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hortpark at 33 hyderabad road. It is very near to HP Singapore. You will know if you have been to Villa Bali.
    Last edited by barmby; 28th Sep 2009 at 10:44. Reason: Not pasir panjang

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Question, if i want to have a better understanding of bryophytes such as moss and liverworts before i venture in blindly will it be good for me to go? Hortpark is the one beside alexander-point?
    The talk this time is only on mosses but I'm sure the professor wouldn't mind answering questions on the differences between mosses and liverworts. In fact, there's no better person than the prof to answer such questions.

Hortpark is at Hyderabad Road. It's a nice place, worth a visit even if there is no talk.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ok Loh

I'll be there to support you!
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

coiln: yeah it wasn't pasir panjang i can see it at level 8 Alexander Techno Park (Above HP Service center) You going?

Note: Bus service 57, 97 100 from Vivo City. I take those to one of my client offices.

See you there Mr Loh

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there, I won't be able to make it. - business trip during that period

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just a gentle reminder - The talk is on this Saturday. The professor has said he will be most happy to autograph the 2 books that are on sale.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Who will be going? "kopi" after the talk?
    how come i keep telling myself its tomorrow

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cool... Learning more on mosses. Will be there for sure...despite being on nite shift the day before which is now ..oh nevermind i sure will turn up..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i did went to the hortpark talk yesterday and learned on how to make the terrarium.i did manage to ask for a sample of a moss i like and thus make my own terrarium today following the demo that was shown yesterday.

Asked the lady that conducted the demo on where she got the moss from but she insisted that i ask the speaker - Dr Benito, but i was to shy to asked...thus dunt even know what the moss name was...the negative side on being so shy to approach people got its disadvantages.

Anyway here are pictures of my simple terrarium. Hope he will populate the jar and i can have more of this moss

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice bro! Was disappointed that I could not make it yesterday as I would've love to know more about mosses. I hope someone here can help you ID the moss.

Post and share more of your progress ok?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A very big thank you to all those who turned up for the talk. The professor was very pleased with the turnout. According to Hortpark, 82 persons came for the talk.

The professor showed quite a few mosses (unknown to the hobby) that are potential candidates for aquarium mosses. I'll see if I can borrow the pictures from him and post them here.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

interesting talk. had wanted to try out some fountain moss that Loh brought, but came back in too late with the book... all gone .
    but thanks for organising it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Aiyah, come to think of it, should have asked if it was possible to record the whole session down. Then can put up on YouTube...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast