Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have the current setup
    -overhead box filter
    -power head driving a CO2 reactor
    -Fan
    -2ft tank

Tank is heavily planted

I intend to have 20 pieces of cherry shrimp and maybe 10 Lampeye fishes. The overhead filter is currently areating the water. Is it possible to remove the overhead box filter and still have the live stock alive? Has anyone run this type of setup before?

Cheers
    Last edited by vinz; 9th Oct 2009 at 01:48. Reason: Removed strange images.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Water aeration a must?

if you remove the overhead filter, will it be replaced with any other filter? also, are your plants growing well? if they're photosynthesizing and 'pearling' you won't need any additional aeration.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If my plants are not "pearling" but growing well, do i still need aeration? normally i put air stone only at night when i turn off the lights.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

should be alright. you can always experiment by turning your overhead box filter off during the day and see if the fish show any signs of distress. also, your plants might grow better without the extra aeration since less CO2 is getting degassed during the day.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    if you remove the overhead filter, will it be replaced with any other filter? also, are your plants growing well? if they're photosynthesizing and 'pearling' you won't need any additional aeration.
    No there wont be a replacement filter. The reason why I am removing the box filter is so that I can install another light. I suspect my plants are not pearling is due to lack of light.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok folks Im going to test. Bought myself 10 Sakura Shrimp and 10 rosboras. WIth no filter. I do have a small insignificant submerged filter i use to drive my CO2 reactor. I have 2 50 w flourcent tubes ( in reality i think output is only abt 70 watts). So water aeration is almost non esxistant. Hopefully the 2 55watters will be able to generate some pearling. Lets see if this works

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bitstream View Post
    ok folks Im going to test. Bought myself 10 Sakura Shrimp and 10 rosboras. WIth no filter. I do have a small insignificant submerged filter i use to drive my CO2 reactor. I have 2 50 w flourcent tubes ( in reality i think output is only abt 70 watts). So water aeration is almost non esxistant. Hopefully the 2 55watters will be able to generate some pearling. Lets see if this works

Cheers

ok heres an update, I have been running the mentioned setup with no aeration since 4pm. Now is 12 midnight, everything seems to be ok. No aeration and no filter. Will update again in a weeks time. All plants coming to a nice bubble under 110 w florecent tubes.

Near Far NW suburbs of Chicago,Illinois USA
    Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I think there is only one method to run no filters on a planted tank and thats the "Walsted Method".

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

He uses CO2 injection which isn't part of the Walsted method. also its not totally without filtration, since his CO2 reactor is being run by an internal filter which provides current

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Will there be algae issue without proper water aeration?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok so its been a week or more. Im having super growth with all my plants. Bubbling is good. Algae wise, just the normal variety on the glass surface. Other than that eveything is going super. Casualities in normal range, 1 fish and 1 shrimp died. Live stock are not gasping for air. So i guess it can be done.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    He uses CO2 injection which isn't part of the Walsted method. also its not totally without filtration, since his CO2 reactor is being run by an internal filter which provides current
    The internal filter is really really small for a 2 ft tank size. The filter can literally fit into the palm of my hand. There is current circulating in the tank but only for 6 hrs per day when the lights and CO2 is on. Other that that is water is pretty still.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bitstream View Post
    The internal filter is really really small for a 2 ft tank size. The filter can literally fit into the palm of my hand. There is current circulating in the tank but only for 6 hrs per day when the lights and CO2 is on. Other that that is water is pretty still.
    Care to show us some pictures ?