Country
    Singapore

Food for Fire eel?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Everyone!
    I've been trying to feed my fire eel with hikari bloodworms but so far i am not too sure if he has been eating them. At first when i bring the bloodworms near him he will always retreat back into his hideout but even now(after 3 weeks) he is still doing that whenever i feed. I have never seen him eating. Since the fishes in my tank also eat the bloodworms i wonder if there are any alternative foods that i can feed my eel or ways in which i can tell hes eating? I followed the generic methods of feeding which include switching lights off and feed at night but im really not sure if hes eating. So yup advice would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Food for Fire eel?

This is one of the more receptive species of fish to their owners. Ive seen people even handfeed this eel. So just give it a little more time to get used to its surroundings and you.

Maybe you can share what are are the other tankmates in the tank, and also check if your eel is suffering from any parasite attack/disease.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi!

well yea im not talking about hand feeding i just want the eel to eat. Just that i dont know if he is eating well i hope he is or else hes so going to die of hunger. 3weeks passed but it seems that he hasnt acclimatize yet.

My tank has a couple of golden pencils, galaxies, endlers, panda cories and kuhli loaches. Dont think there are any infections or diseases. The eel looks normal to me. >.<
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fire eels will eat small fish and shrimp when they grow big. So I hope you'll have alternative accomodation then. You could try feeding live food like tubifex worm just to check if its eating. Most fish will not refuse them.
    Some owners of large Fire eel say it also depends on the fish character. Some will eat just about anything dead or alive and some only if it's moving.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Abu Dhabi

This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing

That's pretty good.

Good post. I appreciate it

Plan de financement immobilier conseil credit travaux | Calcul taux pret immobilier courtier | Simulation financement immo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh.. turns out that i have to feed live feeder shrimps to my eel! I tried frozen bloodworms, live tubifex worms all didn't work out until i throw in live feeder worms that got him eating. My poor eel was so hungry that he attacked those poor shrimps ferociously... so i guess live shrimps will never go wrong. I've frozen the remaining shrimps and will try to get him to eat the thaw ones when the live shrimps in the tank is all wiped out :P guess i just have to wait and see what happens. Hope that i can feed train him to eat frozen bloodworms someday though.
    Cheers!
    griffinkid