Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[Feedback] WTB Threads

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Mods, thought of some feedback for our MarketPlace.

I noticed an increase in the number of WTB threads with the threadstarters making very specific demands on the transaction. E.g. WTB item XXX, deal only at XXX MRT.

Though I agree that it's a "willing buyer, willing seller" market, I feel that such threads are a waste of forum space and bandwidth because the chances of a seller actually going to meet the buyer all the way at his location to deal, is very remote. More so if the items are livestock or plants. It doesn't make sense.

IMO, the onus of travelling to meet up should be on the buyer since demand comes from him. Hence, I thought I'd recommend some regulation in this area. Perhaps threadstarters for WTB threads should not be allowed to limit their transaction locale. Private discussions would be allowed for this matter though.

Cheers
    Yecch!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: [Feedback] WTB Threads

Thank you for your suggestion.

We agree with you. To put it crudely, "beggars should not be choosers". However, buyers who list specific locations probably realise that they are severely limiting their options. Some, I believe have little choice. They may not have much time to travel long distances, due to family, work or study commitments or other limitations.

Actually, in our guidelines, we do encourage members to indicate as much details as possible including the areas they are willing to deal in. This is so that readers can quickly see and decide whether they want to deal. That will reduce the number of enquiries by posts or PMs.

Wouldn't it be a bigger waste of time for several individual sellers to PM a buyer only to find out that he will only deal in a location too far away? Or if the enquiries are made via posts, that one thread will keep showing up in the 'New Posts' results. Both of these also increase forum space and bandwidth.

Whether a WTB thread specifics a location or not, a willing seller would probably open it at least once. The difference is the amount of responses generated whether privately or publicly.

Buyers will relax their demands if they really want the item, but are not getting responses. Sellers can still offer their item on the condition that the buyer is willing to change the location.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Vinz.

Thanks for your prompt response. I should have taken that into consideration as well, but I guess I was getting slightly agitated from seeing so many wasted threads with buyers making unrealistic demands.

Thanks again!
    Yecch!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I agree that the locale should not be stated in the title, but proximity can be stated in the message itself? Are most in SG here?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I kind of agree with what vinz mention in the last part of his post.
    But on the other hand if other factors limit them, they may have very little choices to choose from.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I use to have the same thoughts about WTS threads when the seller will only deal "at their convenience", but again, I believe most of us are not selling for profit, we just want to get rid of certain things that we are not using anymore, so there is absolutely no profit to speak of. As for people whom wants to buy, they probably would like to buy at a lower price compare to what they could get for new in the store.

I stay in CCK and imagine if the buyer wants to deal only at Tampines, I might as well dump it in the bin. Similarly if somebody in Tampines wants to sell me a pack of ADA soil for 35 bucks....wow, good deal, but the transportation to Tampiness will wipe out the 3 or 4 bucks of savings.

I guess its absolutly fine, if one feel that they really wants to close the deal, I am sure its all open to negotiation.

All in all, I think details is good

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I will go for details etc.

Very important as if there are disputes, there will be some proof here and there to verify.