Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

desmondekker's Hypancistrus zebra (L046) Setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, just to share my 2x1x1 set up filtered by a unit of 2215 linking up to a mr aqua OHF with wool, bio-ball and peat, thus freeing up some space for more bio filtration in the canister. The inhabitants are 4 L46.

Feel free to comment on the decorations and how can I improve.

PS: pardon me for the bad pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eheim 2211 sufficient for 1.5ft pleco tank?

desmondekker, don't be afraid to start a new thread. i will reply

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

woops sorry, similar topic i thought. hope the TS don't mind

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi friends, just to share a story.
    I was running a 2215 with 1kg of BH+ hooking up to a OHF with wool and 1kg of momotaro bacteria house for a 2x1x1 tank.
    It was all nice and cosy for 2 L46.
    Recently I added 2 more fish to my collection, thinking that my expensive filtration can manage the load.
    Yesterday while I was counting my fish, there's a "fishy" smell from the tank.
    I measured the water parameters and to my horror the NO2 level is 0.3 ppm!
    I'm not sure if I over-reacted, but i pluck out a unit of 2217 from my arowana tank and fitted on to the current 2x1x1 setup.
    I'm going to seed the filter tonight.
    Hope it works.
    Last edited by celticfish; 13th Oct 2009 at 16:55. Reason: Format for readability

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: desmondekker's Hypancistrus Setup

There's more than enough filtration media for 4 x zebras...
    I'd guess the tank wasn't properly cycled.
    By adding the 2217 it will seed the 2215.
    So what "seeding" will you be doing later?!?

Fishy smell?
    Did you do a headcount?
    I don't recall NO2 smelling fishy.

I hope you didnt remove the white wool in your cannister filter.
    It would be better to add a "pre-filter" at your filter inlet basket.
    Then you won't need the wool in the OHF and can add more media (though I don't think its required).
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: desmondekker's Hypancistrus Setup

Hey, you're right, I didn't think the tank was well cycled too.
    I have the false impression that the tank has seasoned due to the zebras create very little mess.
    I guess the NO2 surged as I left the uneaten pellets in the water till it turn mouldy.
    I did encounter the same NO2 problem in the same tank before.
    It gradually drop till under 0.3ppm after I added dirty wool from my arowana tank.

I did the same this time round with an extra unit of 2217 as the wool in it is very clean.
    I squeezed the slimes out of the dirty wool from an established, healthy tank into the 2217 and still hook it up to the OHF.

The zebras fall in for headcount all present

I love the OHF as well, I do not know why!
    Maybe I should grow some bean sprouts on it .

Keep you guys posted!
    Last edited by celticfish; 13th Oct 2009 at 16:56. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: desmondekker's Hypancistrus zebra (L046) Setup

Dont worry Desmondekker Barmby is one of our top PR buddy for pleco lovers ! Three ups for him !!
    L46 . L173 . L66 . L333 . L399 . L174 . L144 . Lower
    Xingu .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Really need to PR with you guys more often to learn how to take care of the zebbies! Any pleco outings?

Update: NO2 under 0.3ppm as of this morning. At least the effort paid off.

Hopefully it maintain this way!
    Last edited by celticfish; 10th Oct 2009 at 00:25. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I do not have much knowledge to pass on to you man ... I am just a normal fish keeper . I do not even have a test kit
    L46 . L173 . L66 . L333 . L399 . L174 . L144 . Lower
    Xingu .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

nice simple setup .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks boss. still trying to contact mr larry for his caves but plecofanatics seems to be down this week.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Actually I suspect the website has been hijacked!

You can see what I did with his caves ---> here
    Last edited by celticfish; 10th Oct 2009 at 00:31. Reason: add information
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

haha.. drakeho! thanks..

btw, desmondekker, try not to trust the test kit too much unless you are really using those branded type being sold in the range of USD70 and above. it is the ppm that we are talking about.

For this reason, many of us don't use test kit (incl. drakeho - the normal fish keeper)

Do keep up with the regular, small amount of water change, 3-4 times a week. It will definitely help. Less is more

I have 10 H. zebra set up in a 29 H(30 X 12 X 18H inches) so very similar in shape as your tank.
    Even with 10 4.5 cm Zebra plecs uneaten food can become a problem.
    One of the things I do in my Hypancistrus breeding and grow out tanks is to grow some free floating Hornwort, (Ceratophyllum) and begin a thriving Cherry Shrimp colony.
    Having many shrimp living with the reclusive Plecos is a big help with cleaning up any food the fish leave behind before it can spoil.
    I also happen to breed Sturisoma aureum and have many adults .
    I spread one to each Hypancistrus tank to also help eat excess food and they keep the algae cleaned off the glass.
    They haven't interefered with ny breeders or young Zebras I am growing out.
    And since my tank is tall like yours, I also chose some taller pieces of Malaysian wood with many deep crevices which the Zebras like to hide in.
    This species often chooses tight cracks in wood or will hide unde a light piece of wood.

I am planning to buy some Pencilfish or Hatchetfish and perhaps add my small school of Green Neons as tank mates so the feeding will be less critical.
    It can be difficult to feed a few young Zebra Plecos without some food spoiling when they are all that is in the tank.
    I just avoid anything that would be serious competitors or fish that might harass them.

The zebras are better off sharing their tank with small peaceful animals that help eat all the food than trying to feed only the plecos just the right amount.
    I normally feed mine at night and other than knowing how much money worth of fish I have in the tank it appears completely empty and too boring to leave it that way.
    I know I have to wait at least another 2 years before my 10 zebras are old enough to breed so meanwhile I might as well make that tank a little more interesting.
    These are the things I am or am planning to do and maybe you might want to consider something similar.
    If your Zebras are already large enough to breed then I would only add enough Cherry Shrimp to establish a colony.
    They will not hurt at all and they will prove to be useful excess food scavengers.
    Last edited by celticfish; 13th Oct 2009 at 16:58. Reason: Format for readability
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    haha.. drakeho! thanks..

btw, desmondekker, try not to trust the test kit too much unless you are really using those branded type being sold in the range of USD70 and above. it is the ppm that we are talking about.

For this reason, many of us don't use test kit (incl. drakeho - the normal fish keeper)

Do keep up with the regular, small amount of water change, 3-4 times a week. It will definitely help. Less is more
    heed your advice and started to have a pail of aged water.

Quote Originally Posted by apistomaster View Post
    I have 10 H. zebra set up in a 29 H(30 X 12 X 18H inches) so very similar in shape as your tank. Even with 10 4.5 cm Zebra plecs uneaten food can become a problem.
    One of the things I do in my Hypancistrus breeding and grow out tanks is to grow some free floating Hornwort, (Ceratophyllum) and begin a thriving Cherry Shrimp colony. Having many shrimp living with the reclusive Plecos is a big help with cleaning up any food the fish leave behind before it can spoil.
    I also happen to breed Sturisoma aureum and have many adults . I spread one to each Hypancistrus tank to also help eat excess food and they keep the algae cleaned off the glass. They haven't interefered with ny breeders or young Zebras I am growing out. And since my tank is tall like yours, I also chose some taller pieces of Malaysian wood with many deep crevices which the Zebras like to hide in. This species often chooses tight cracks in wood or will hide unde a light piece of wood.
    I am planning to buy some Pencilfish or Hatchetfish and perhaps add my small school of Green Neons as tank mates so the feeding will be less critical. It can be difficult to feed a few young Zebra Plecos without some food spoiling when they are all that is in the tank. I just avoid anything that would be serious competitors or fish that might harass them.
    The zebras are better off sharing their tank with small peaceful animals that help eat all the food than trying to feed only the plecos just the right amount. I normally feed mine at night and other than knowing how much money worth of fish I have in the tank it appears completely empty and too boring to leave it that way. I know I have to wait at least another 2 years before my 10 zebras are old enough to breed so meanwhile I might as well make that tank a little more interesting.
    These are the things I am or am planning to do and maybe you might want to consider something similar. If your Zebras are already large enough to breed then I would only add enough Cherry Shrimp to establish a colony. They will not hurt at all and they will prove to be useful excess food scavengers.
    hey thanks for the suggestions and numerous ideas.
    i haven't reared shrimps before, i heard that they're good cleaners.
    one likely problem is the water temperature in singapore.
    the temperature in my tank can easily hit 30 degrees on a cool day!
    i might go for a small prochilodus though.

i realised if i place 3 pellets overnight, the next morning there's be bits of left overs here and there.
    by evening when i'm back from work they'll be eaten.
    hence, 3 pellets can be their supper and brunch perhaps .
    i also caught the smallest "girl" sneaking out of the small crack in the driftwood for a bite i suppose.

Good luck with your breeding project!
    Last edited by celticfish; 13th Oct 2009 at 16:59. Reason: Format for readability

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Why not feed on alternate day and see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i'm kinda paranoid that the smaller ones are not getting the food.
    hence i would rather have small amount of food drifting there.
    regarding the small and frequent WC you suggested, may i have a rough gauge?
    say 10% thrice weekly?
    Last edited by celticfish; 15th Oct 2009 at 01:13. Reason: Format for readability

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I do not do frequent water changes for my plecos. But mine are all in 3ft tanks and above. I only do max 50% water changes every week. Even for tanks with babies in them.
    Last edited by celticfish; 15th Oct 2009 at 01:14. Reason: Remove immediate quote
    We lease out large sized ponds to hobbyist who wants space to keep their fishes. We also provide feeding services so that you do not have to come down everyday to feed them. pm me or email me if you are interested in leasing out a pond from us.

Contact no: 9792 0454
    Email: [email protected]
    Details: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=57167

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i suspect that my darlings have been eating DW instead of the pellet. their poo and the DW colour match is like 95% to the naked eyes. occassionally they'll finish the pellets and their poo colour change to the same colour as the pellet again. anyone has similar experience?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi good morning, yesterday cannot sleep and decided to look at my L046 for a while. wala! caught a playground dispute and a little nosy onlooker!

YouTube - L046 Hypancistrus Zebra

hope you enjoy...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast