Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp deaths....

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Well, this funny thing start to happen 2 days after a 50% water change. Found my fishes near the water surface breathing heavily in the morning....immediately rush for my airpump and start aerating the water..fishes back to normal after a couple of hours but unfortunately found 8 yamatoes dead...arghhhhh...(what is the cause of all this? Plants were bubbling well before lights went out..No presence of NH3/NH4 and NO2 were found with test kits.)...This unfortunate thing happened again and man...my 3 out of 10 newly bought mosquito shrimps were dead and fishes were gasping again..weird..Lack of oxygen? I cleaned my filter and did a 50% water change again today...found out that my filter was rather choked and flow rate dropped quite alot...could it be the cause of all this..lack of circulation? I sure don't want to see dead stuff again tomorrow morning...[]
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ph crash?
    checked your kh and ph levels yet?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nah...no way. I am very careful with that..pH is good plus the fact that my is CO2 is off during the night..(pH swing..nah..my fishes are not showing any signs before..how come now?)..Could the slow down in water circulation caused by a choked filter thus lack of oxygen exchange near the water surface once the oxygen runs low?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    O2 deprivation is quite unlikely unless you are dealing with very sensitive fishes (e.g. rams) and/or a overly high bioload (e.g. 100 cardinal tetras in a 2ft). I'm not sure abt Mosquito shrimps but Yamatos should be quite hardy once aclimitized. Do you know your pH before aeration and after you found the dead shrimps?
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    They die before I aerate the tank....should be low O2...pH is 7.2 after stopping CO2 for the night through timer....(6.8 before lights out)...death caused by pH swing is not possible as they have been through this cycle right from the start of this matured tank....weird. Oh...more clue maybe..my outlet of the filter was piped right down near the bottom of the tank....lack of circulation could be a problem..or is it?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How big is your tank and how many fishes do you have in it?

My 2ft tank has 30+ fishes (smallest = 2cm dwarf pencils, largest = 5cm golden pencils) and i'm running on the smallest Atman internal filter ($10). Problem with small, cheap filters like this is that it gets clogged within a mth (the flow can slow to a mere trickle). That is why I find it hard to believe that lack of circulation can be as deadly as what you experienced.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Theo..any surface agitation in your tank? Slight if any? Mine is dead quiet if not for the 2 AC fan blowing onto the surface due to the placement of my filter outlet.

For your info, 18 fishes in my 2ft heavily planted tank...+ some shrimps...left over after massive deaths..[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My condolences ... []

I have 2 DC fans that comes on with the lights (7hrs a day at the moment until I get my hands on some KH2PO4). At times, my rainbar (7-8cm below surface) output will cause some ripples (when it is 2-3cm away from the surface). I'm using that as an indicator to top up water lost due to evaporation (too busy/lazy to do top up everyday).

18 fishes isn't a lot unless you are keeping larger cichlids like angels. I do get shrimp deaths every once in a while but I was told it's normal for Malayan shrimps population to thin out over a few mths.

IMO, O2 levels shouldn't affect shrimps that much. Being a lazy hobbyist, I usually house new shrimps in a small 3.5l plastic tank and add some water from my main tank whenever I feel like it. After abt 6 to 24hrs, I would then net the shrimps and put them into my main tank. No O2 is injected throughout their stay in the plastic tank.

If all your water parameters are normal, one other possibility is that your water is contaminated. E.g. some detergent got into the pail or hose you used.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You measured your NO3? Mine shrimps has high death rate if NO3 going too high.

I'm finding it a bit strange if your measuring of NH3 & NO2 is zero, with corpses floating around, and filter trickling at such low flowrate, hmm...

My guess is during respiration at night, plants don't have the ability to absorb excess NH3 or NO2, leaving your filter to do the job. But if both fail, then the level should increase, since no N conversion. Any corpse at a place might have localised harmful bacteria/chemical buid-up, especially when filter does not circulate water, thus causing more harm?

Wild guess, might be wrong and love to be corrected.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Good news.....guess either the washing of the filter (clear the choke) or changing the placement of the filter outlet about an inch under the water surface did the job. My fishes and shrimps are fine from what I can see...happily swimming and not gasping for air near the surface. [] ...Naturetan, my NO3 is only 20ppm...not that high to kill the shrimps..I had even 40ppm before and none of my shrimps die from it....toxics are ruled out as my fishes would have belly or sink to the bottom and look sluggish the moment such stuff were inside...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Deritus trapped in the filter will break down. The breaking down process and the nitrifying cycle NH3-->NO2-->NO3 consume O2.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/16/2003 6:14:21 PM

Well, this funny thing start to happen 2 days after a 50% water change. Found my fishes near the water surface breathing heavily in the morning....immediately rush for my airpump and start aerating the water..fishes back to normal after a couple of hours but unfortunately found 8 yamatoes dead...arghhhhh...(what is the cause of all this? Plants were bubbling well before lights went out..No presence of NH3/NH4 and NO2 were found with test kits.)...This unfortunate thing happened again and man...my 3 out of 10 newly bought mosquito shrimps were dead and fishes were gasping again..weird..Lack of oxygen? I cleaned my filter and did a 50% water change again today...found out that my filter was rather choked and flow rate dropped quite alot...could it be the cause of all this..lack of circulation? I sure don't want to see dead stuff again tomorrow morning...[]
    ----------------
    Hi peter, could it be chlorine? i had the same problem as u. i added anti-chlorine immediately and after a while, they were fine...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/17/2003 8:39:01 AM

Good news.....guess either the washing of the filter (clear the choke) or changing the placement of the filter outlet about an inch under the water surface did the job. My fishes and shrimps are fine from what I can see...happily swimming and not gasping for air near the surface. [] ...Naturetan, my NO3 is only 20ppm...not that high to kill the shrimps..I had even 40ppm before and none of my shrimps die from it....toxics are ruled out as my fishes would have belly or sink to the bottom and look sluggish the moment such stuff were inside...
    ----------------
    I suspect it's more like CO2 that killed your shrimps. With dirty filter loaded with bacteria, CO2 builds up pretty quickly from their metabolism. Coupled with the CO2 you diffuse into the water, it reached a level untolerable by your fishes and shrimp.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Could be chlorine. I've had bouts of cloudy water after large water changes on and off (stable mature tank, no changes except minor trimming and water change). Usually last a 3 to 4 days and then clears by itself. My suspicion is higher then usual amounts of chlorine partially wiped out the bacteria colony in the filter.

In your case (guesstimating):
    - Shrimps sensitive to chlorine (I was told by experience hobbyist) -> death,
    - Gill burn (vaguely remember something about chlorine or NH causing that)-> fish gasping at surface,
    - Bacteria death -> self explanatory.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i've realised that these days, our water tend to contain more chlorine as compared to last time.... anyone seconds this?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    we are using chloramine to detox the water. I heard that due to the recent hot weather, which is excellent for baterial growth, the water plants are using higher dosage of chloramine to counter. apparently also chloramine is odourless so one does not notice the high dosage.

anyone know people in the water plants can check whether this is true?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hahahaa..what water plants? You mean those in your tank? ...Nah...Chloramine is being dosed as to speak...Apparently due to its long lasting effect, I don't think increasing the concentration is necessary. The chloramine kills bacteria when the water is still in the treatment plant and will continue to work along the pipelines all the way to the housing estates or apartments for several weeks...no worries but need to spend on anti-chloramine stuff though.