Country
    Singapore

yamato shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

any one know where to get yamato shrimp at a cheapest price?
    how many should i put in a 2 ft tank with on christmas moss plus a log wood.
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    regarding the price of yamatoe shrimps is pretty subjective depending on the supply and demand in the market. for a 2ft tank you probably need about 10 to 15.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/17/2003 10:58:38 PM

Hi guys,

any one know where to get yamato shrimp at a cheapest price?
    how many should i put in a 2 ft tank with on christmas moss plus a log wood.
    thanks
    ----------------
    Don know if yamato is a good choice. Mine did a terrible job pincing on the moss. Till I gave up recently. Algae wafers doesn't seems to tempt them much.[]
    Everything should be made as simple as possible...but not one bit simpler.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just added 5 yamatoes (3-4cm ea) into my 2ft tank. Figured i don't have much to lose since my xmas moss is covered by brown + hair algae. I wouldn't recommend using them right from the start since (1) your moss needs time to acclimitize and (2) they have a huge appetite. I can see visible algae reduction after 3 days.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    theo2001...where did you get your yamatoes? I have problems finding
    replacement for them after some mishap in my tank...any idea where I can get them..preferably in the west area around clementi or tiong bahru area..
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    so after how many days then to release shrimp to my tank? how about oto or sae? when can i put them to the tank?
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    jus a suggestion.. u can put in the shrimps in the 2nd-3rd week of ur tank setup. let them eat any signs of algae. then maybe when decided to put ur fish in for cycling of tank. add in 2 otos and 2 SAEs. Why not consider buying 100 malayan shrimps for the price of 10 yamatos?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I got mine from Precious Aquarium @ Serangoon Gardens. Not the cheapest place to get yamatoes but I was there that day to collect some plants I ordered (they got me the right vallis but the wrong nymphaea [] )

Since Tiong Bahru is convenient for u, why don't u give Ben a call before u go down? Last time I checked, they replenish their livestock everyday though fancy shrimps only seem to come in on weekends.

Another gd place is Nature. Again not the cheapest place for livestock but their condition is usually better than many other places I've visited. They usually get their shrimps on Sat so you may wish to give them a call tomorrow.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    jus a suggestion.. u can put in the shrimps in the 2nd-3rd week of ur tank setup. let them eat any signs of algae. then maybe when decided to put ur fish in for cycling of tank. add in 2 otos and 2 SAEs. Why not consider buying 100 malayan shrimps for the price of 10 yamatos?

is 100 malayan shrimps too much for a 2ft set up. btw, i release 1 oto to this set up( got oto from my old tank).Is it too early to release just 1 oto on this second day of the setup?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO adding otos or any other livestock to cycle your tank in the 1st 2 weeks is only feasible (though still not advisable) if your tank is densely planted with plants that can establish themselves quickly (e.g. hygrophilia, ceratopteris).

If your tank only has a piece of wood with moss then I would strongly recommend that you put your oto back into your old tank (if you still have that up and running).

I've always added Malayan shrimps in 20s or 30s, replenishing the crew every month or 2 - you will be surprised how few actually survive > 2 mth. Adding 100 Malayan shrimps to a 2ft tank is not unheard of but my concern in your case is whether any of them can survive the tank cycling process.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi

maybe you like to call yishun 932 at 98787847 for malayan shrimps, heard that 100 for S$6.00 very cheap!!!!

NO HARM TRYING

[]

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 4/18/2003 12:53:08 AM

theo2001...where did you get your yamatoes? I have problems finding
    replacement for them after some mishap in my tank...any idea where I can get them..preferably in the west area around clementi or tiong bahru area..
    ----------------
    hi... u can try getting them from c328.. i just bought ten from there today.. real worth it as the size is really huge... though u pay a bit more for it, it's still better than paying a few cents less and getting a tiny shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nope.. no harm. but what i prefer is let the plants establish themselves without any fish for the 1st 2 weeks. then u intro some algae eaters like shrimps, otos and saes to clear up any signs of algae. the idea is to let plants have a good headstart.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/18/2003 7:19:43 PM

hi

maybe you like to call yishun 932 at 98787847 for malayan shrimps, heard that 100 for S$6.00 very cheap!!!!

NO HARM TRYING

[]
    ----------------
    Hi likchan,

You have the name for "yishun 932"? Thanks!
    Regards,
    James
    Harmony Within

Feedback Score
    can anibody tell mi the difference between yamatos n malayan shrimps?
    how do both look like n how can i differetiate them?

Feedback Score
    can anibody tell mi the difference between yamatos n malayan shrimps?
    how do both look like n how can i differetiate them?

Feedback Score
    but yamato die easily if the temp in the water is not right.

Feedback Score
    Just added some yamato into my tank. Then saw a few committed suicide by jumping out from the tank. Stood infornt of the tank and finally found the real cause. The culprit is the puffer fish i have in the tank. I saw the puffer fish biting the yamato shrimp and had even biten off one of the yamato's antenna. i hope that yamato and pull through. Added 100 Malayan shrimp 2 months ago, I think there are less than 10 left no in the tank. Fishes tends to attack all these shrimp whenever they see them out from their cover. Anyway, shrimp is suppose to be at the lower level of the fod-chain. Isn't it so?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys,

just been to Pasir Ris farmway. They are selling yamato shrimp at 80 cents each. I just bought ten from there.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 4/28/2003 9:34:42 AM

Just added some yamato into my tank. Then saw a few committed suicide by jumping out from the tank. Stood infornt of the tank and finally found the real cause. The culprit is the puffer fish i have in the tank. I saw the puffer fish biting the yamato shrimp and had even biten off one of the yamato's antenna. i hope that yamato and pull through. Added 100 Malayan shrimp 2 months ago, I think there are less than 10 left no in the tank. Fishes tends to attack all these shrimp whenever they see them out from their cover. Anyway, shrimp is suppose to be at the lower level of the fod-chain. Isn't it so?
    ----------------

Yup. My yamatoes got killed by the puffer i think too. I saw one left but it's hiding in the driftwood. Looks like malayan shrimps are much cheaper for puffer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast