Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Aggressive CO2 injection without fertilization

Feedback Score

Aggressive CO2 injection without fertilization

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has anyone tried to aggressively inject CO2 to say 15-25 ppm and not add any liquid ferts? Would like to know what would most likely happen in such a scenario. Will there be a major algae problem due to excessive CO2?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    15-20ppm is not aggressive. And I think it is a bad idea. Plants need more than just carbon dioxide to grow.
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    There's nothing wrong with high CO2 levels to the fish etc or the plants.
    It's independant of O2.
    The senario would set a deficiency, not an excess.

The increased CO2 would lead the plants to use up any and all NO3,K, P, Traces in the water, then they'd try and get whatever is in the substrate.

Eventually they will run out and stunt at which point algae would take over.

Non CO2 takes grow slower and this would take longer to occur and if you added some fish and algae eaters, then the slow amount of waste would balance with the slow amount of plant growth. But folks tend not like the non CO2 plant tanks. But they are quite nice but require patience and other horrible things

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    15-25ppm is ok, not aggresive. 15-25 bubbles per/sec is aggresive but crazy. It will kill ur fishes if not your shrimp first of CO2 poisoning. Doing an experimentin my planted tank - no Co2, no liquid fert and 8hrs lighting. Just good base fert, regular water change, minimum feeding of fish and high wattage lighting. So far plants flourishing though need help from 1 pleco and 10 Yamato to beat algae. Will post result that will change perception of Co2/liquid fert fertilisation soon.

Feedback Score
    My bubble rate is really way too fast for me to count. But according to the chart its like still 10 ppm. I have no idea why it is like this. The KH doesnt seem to change with CO2 injection. Can anyone help?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The KH will not change with CO2 injection. pH drops with CO2 injection.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    I thot the KH will go up if you have some coral chips kinda stuff in your tank....

Anywayz... its not present... still cant figure out whats going on...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Greece
    I have been keeping aquaria with halides 1,5-2 watts/gal no CO2 or and CO2 and rich substrate (forest soil mixed with laterite) and no water ferts for 20 years I never had problems with algae but for the first 3-4 months until all excess nutrients were exhausted (looking back I think that someone could even avoid this stage by immersing the soil in water for 2-3 months and do regular water changes on that bucket before putting it in the aquarium). I have grown crypts, rotala macrandra, glosostigma,tenellus various other echinodorus,cabomba,hygros and lots lots others with this setups. Actually my tanks were the point of reference for lots of people here at that time and lots of beautiful aquaria were made this way, substrate would last for 2 1/2-3 years the most then it had to be changed apart of that there was no problem, even with the addition of CO2 there was no problem, it just depleted the tank faster, one technique par Tropica was adding clay balls to extend the substrates life cycle. I know this type of tanks lots