Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: temperature affects plants bubbling?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

temperature affects plants bubbling?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently, in the office tank, I adjusted the heater downwards by about 2 deg to 26C. I found that the plants bubble less than before.

Actually I also changed by DIY CO2 to cylinder CO2 at the same time. Should be a better and consistent CO2 source, right? But not sure why less bubbling from plants.

Lower temperature and therefore slower photosynthesis?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Interesting observation..like you said, maybe the photosythesis slowed down? Like how certain animals hibernate in the winter, everything slows down.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    actually i had also noticed this before. it is especially pertinent to me because my tank is in the car pouch. so temperature fluctuates according to weather though i have fans to cool in general. and at hot days when my tank can reach 28C, there are lots of bubbling and on cold rainy days (like recently) less bubbling. no change in parameters some more. quite puzzling.

just to share and juggler you are not alone.
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Kinda contradictory to the fact that many people are actually installing cooling fans to bring the temperature down. So what's what now??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Colder water holds more oxygen..hence takes longer to reach saturation which will in turn induce bubbling. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Lower the temp lower the metabolic rate and therefore photosynthesis gets affected...and less bubbles...Possible?

Juz my two sens
    [:0] []
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Based on some books I've read, it's indeed true that lower temperature will slow down plants growth and its rate of photosynthesis. But exactly how the biological characteristics works? I've yet to discover a valid answer. Books I've found so far aren't so chemistry...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/21/2003 8:20:49 PM

Colder water holds more oxygen..hence takes longer to reach saturation which will in turn induce bubbling. []
    ----------------
    Peter, if it can hold more o2, it should saturate sooner right?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    SO ALL THE EXPERTS OUT THERE

COOLING FANS OR WITHOUT PLS ADVISE!!!!! OR DIFFERENT PLANT DIFFERENT TEMPERATURE????

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lorba...I think the idea is like a room...with lower temperature, the room is much bigger and hence can hold more oxygen (assuming that oxygen is produced at the same rate..it will take longer to fill the room..higher temperature is like the opposite).
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/21/2003 9:16:16 PM

Lorba...I think the idea is like a room...with lower temperature, the room is much bigger and hence can hold more oxygen (assuming that oxygen is produced at the same rate..it will take longer to fill the room..higher temperature is like the opposite).
    ----------------
    i c.. got it.. i wasnt thinking hard enough

likchan,
    different plants will actually need different temperature depending on where they originate from. The best thing we can do is to adjust the temperature to a certain level which most plants can accomodate. I think 25-28 should be ok for most plants.

fan or chiller, depends on your budget. Anyway, most should be able to survive higher temp (no cooling unit).
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    please dun shout. thank you.

there is no right or wrong answer.... some folks have fans cos their lights (e.g. PL and MH) emit heat which would otherwise cause the water to hit 30 C or more. Others have heaters to compensate for cold air-con rooms. The general consensus appears to be 25-28C is a good range for most plants. There will be individual species which thrive below or above this range, while some species will almost certainly deteriorate when the temp is above or below their preferred range. You have to read through the plant catalogues like Tropica's to find out the optimum range for each plant species.

Again, thank you for not shouting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just an assumption based on little understanding about nature, but might be wrong since I'm no scientist/biologist.

The temperature has certain relationship with the energy produce on the molecular struture. This principle works like the physics of heat transfer. When water is heated, molecular atoms gets energized and start colliding each other, increasing its atomic movement/activity. This principle applies to all natural phenomenon. Thus, cooler temperature solidify melting metal, make winter trees perserved nutrients and reduce/stop growth, and makes animal/human stored fats and reduce metabolic rate. Lower temp. reduces molecular activity.

If you can see the relationship between this logic and water plants photosynthetic rate. Just my assumption. Sorry if I explain poorly.