Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We are making changes to the marketplace..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

We are making changes to the marketplace..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

We are making some changes to the marketplace to make it a more pleasant and positive experience. Please bear with us during the interim period for the inconvenience caused.

For a start, all posts in the (Aquarium and Non-aquatic) marketplace will be displayed based on the origination time of the thread. This will mean that it can no longer be pushed up with the irittating 'upz' methods. Accounts posting the same items for sale several times a day in an attempt to circumvent the above will be automatically suspended for 30 days. I would suggest that if your item does not sell, you may repost it after 3 days.

We are also considering restricting replies to the marketplace threads so that it will be done through e-mails and PM. This will reduce inconvenience to other users. Sellers and merchants will have to be much more detailed in their descriptions if they don't want their mailboxes flooded with the same questions.

As usual, all threads/post containing SMS or IM lingo will be deleted without prior notice. Please take note.

We are also re-drafting a clearer guideline for the marketplace to prevent abuse. Watch for it.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: We are making changes to the marketplace..

i haven't used the market place before, but can consider giving the owners of the thread the option to close their own sale thread, so that once something is sold, then people don't need to bother opening the thread to see that it's sold.
    or to ask a mod to close the thread.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The option to close your own thread is always there under thread options on the top right. Many users are just to lazy to execute the few clicks themselves.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Mod Benny,

I feel that 3 days might be a little long if a particular person have to sell off an aquarium livestock/equipment urgently like family not allowing to keep that particular aquarium item or tank leaking etc.

Maybe you can allow this "UPz" thing,but for every 12 hours or so?
    Having this,you will not worry about a particular thread that has been spamming countlessly everyday.

Please consider about this.

Regards and thank you for reading.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Benny,

Would you consider to disallow the post to be edited after a certain period of time?
    silane

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlpha View Post
    Hi Mod Benny,

I feel that 3 days might be a little long if a particular person have to sell off an aquarium livestock/equipment urgently like family not allowing to keep that particular aquarium item or tank leaking etc.

Maybe you can allow this "UPz" thing,but for every 12 hours or so?
    Having this,you will not worry about a particular thread that has been spamming countlessly everyday.

Please consider about this.

Regards and thank you for reading.
    Our community is small and we filter our members relentlessly.

If you examine our marketplace, the first page of the aquarium place already contains threads for "Today" and "Yesterday" as the volume of activities is not very high.

I ask this. "Why is it necessary to push up the thread from the middle of the page to the top of the same first page?" If someone can give me a very good reason, I will consider. Otherwise, we will be re-engineering the marketplace to prevent this 'upz' syndrome. However, rest assured that at the same time, we will give adequate visibility to marketplace threads and the updates within the threads. The changes are meant to improve the overall experience in Aquatic Quotient, not to penalize members using our platform. We remain committed to ensure that our marketplace is well policed against fraudsters, bullying, illegal trades and maintaining it as an avenue for our members to buy/sell and trade aquarium products.

Oh.. And if you need to clear something quickly. Either sell it cheaply or give it away. There are so many bargain hunters prowling the various forums. Most FOC items are gone in less than 24 hours in my experience. If you need to "UPZ" something forever, then asking price might be too high.

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 2nd Nov 2009 at 15:47.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by silane View Post
    Benny,

Would you consider to disallow the post to be edited after a certain period of time?
    Hi Silane,

Certainly, we will always consider all suggestions by members to make this a better place.

We can disable the post editing function after a specified period time (e.g. 10 minutes). This will enable clarity and transparency in the communications in case of a dispute.

In addition, we can also disable other members from replying to the marketplace thread. Only seller can give updates. All communications will be channeled via PM or email.

Keep the good suggestions/comments coming!

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi MOD Benny ,

I do not think thats a wise choice either ( no offence )
    Everyone who can B.U.M.P. His/her post up , can also start a new thread again anytime ... So at the end of the day , AQ will have more "same" Threads rather then more post in a single thread ...

For what i think is that its fair for a "push up" once a day if thread is being pushed back to the second page or further ... if you were to set a time frame , some replies needed to be answer couldn't be answer , right ? Although there is PM but some questions are being brought up by new members hence couldn't be PM as well ....

Another issues will be , if sales are being dealed in private ... How is there a need for buyer to post a reply in the particular sale thread again ? So what is being posted are still B.U.M.P. B.U.M.P. B.U.M.P. and B.U.M.P.

I am one of them who will keep B.U.M.P. but sales are still going on every now and then ... Maybe something else could be done ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well I support this move. We really don't have that many users in the forum, and I also find it irritating to see the same thread being bumped to the top again and again. With this new structure, personally I think it would be easier to see the really NEW threads in the Marketplace instead of the old ones.

However, I hope some form of compromise can be given to threadstarters because sometimes there might be important additional information to include. Hence, I think the TS should retain the right to edit the FIRST post indefinitely.

Another suggestion is to limit users to a SINGLE thread for all their WTS/WTB. This is in place at BOB forums where the users frequently post used games for sale.
    Yecch!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    We can disable the post editing function after a specified period time (e.g. 10 minutes). This will enable clarity and transparency in the communications in case of a dispute.
    I have seen a few cases of the first posted was totally edited and replaced by a short message like: "sold".

There are genuine cases of a thread starter need to edit the first post, but as a thread starter, he/she should ensure what he/she has type is 100% correct and filled with the necessary information before clicking the submit button. He still has the windows period to edit the post if needed.

And further changes after the window period can be made as an another posts.

I certainly think by disallow edit to the post within a period of time will make AQ a even better marketplace.
    silane

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by louislkl View Post
    Hi MOD Benny ,

I do not think thats a wise choice either ( no offence )
    Everyone who can B.U.M.P. His/her post up , can also start a new thread again anytime ... So at the end of the day , AQ will have more "same" Threads rather then more post in a single thread ...

For what i think is that its fair for a "push up" once a day if thread is being pushed back to the second page or further ... if you were to set a time frame , some replies needed to be answer couldn't be answer , right ? Although there is PM but some questions are being brought up by new members hence couldn't be PM as well ....

Another issues will be , if sales are being dealed in private ... How is there a need for buyer to post a reply in the particular sale thread again ? So what is being posted are still B.U.M.P. B.U.M.P. B.U.M.P. and B.U.M.P.

I am one of them who will keep B.U.M.P. but sales are still going on every now and then ... Maybe something else could be done ...
    I think you have missed my point altogether.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Desewer View Post
    Well I support this move. We really don't have that many users in the forum, and I also find it irritating to see the same thread being bumped to the top again and again. With this new structure, personally I think it would be easier to see the really NEW threads in the Marketplace instead of the old ones.

However, I hope some form of compromise can be given to threadstarters because sometimes there might be important additional information to include. Hence, I think the TS should retain the right to edit the FIRST post indefinitely.

Another suggestion is to limit users to a SINGLE thread for all their WTS/WTB. This is in place at BOB forums where the users frequently post used games for sale.
    Thanks for your comments.

Thread starters can definitely edit their post in the first ten minutes. Thereafter, they can update their threads if there are amendments or change in status of the items for sale as and when needed by replying to it. So additional information can definitely be added. And in the absence of replies from others, any additional information will be clear for all to see.

As for limiting each members to only 1 thread, it can be done. However, given the small size of our forum, there's no need for this measure yet.

Keep the suggestions and comments coming.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Would it be a feasible idea to split the marketplace into several sections? For example main sections could be fauna, flora and equipments. Then under fauna we could have cichlids, catfishes, kilifishes, invertebrates etc just like in the main forum. Under equipments you could have C02, filters etc. By dividing them up there will be much less need for anyone to bump up their threads. Also ease of browsing for users.

Problem could be that it may create way more work for the moderators.
    chongyu

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

We've previously considered this option of splitting up to various sections. However, for sellers selling various items, it's a bit harder to do up several posts to clear a batch of items.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

[B][I]
    You are discouraged to post new threads of the same topic. Sell it cheaper and it will go away faster. There's nothing more annoying than seeing the same post up there everyday when the 'vets' know it's over priced and waiting for a 'newbie' to snap it up. It's a real put off to see recycled marketplace posts overrun the New Post search function. An 'Upz' post is a valueless self serving post and not a sharing function IMO. The marketplace is good for members to look for bargains/share/unload some stuff but IMO it's not a place to advertise the page off like a supermarket catalogue. Sorry to be blunt.

[B][I]

New members need to qualify to use the Private Message system. This is the rules to promote sharing in AQ.

[B][I]

Don't worry, moderators like me will help D.E.LE.T.E, D.E.L.E.T.E and D.E.L.E.T.E. Those who need help can PM a moderator for help. We're available.

[B][I]
    Sales is a competitive thing and you are not the only one doing it aggressively. There's only 25 posts in the first page of the New Search function. With you and Houxiang taking up 10 posts- the two of you already dominate 40% of it. To anybody who logs in, it would seem like you two own the forum.

There has been some relief these few days from you super sales guy's onslaught due to some diligent editing by Benny. Thank you Benny and the guys for continuing to fine tune AQ for the benefit of the community. I'm sorry if my post is red. I'm just highlighting the dangers of abusing design.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Benny,

I have seen a few cases of the first posted was totally edited and replaced by a short message like: "sold".

There are genuine cases of a thread starter need to edit the first post, but as a thread starter, he/she should ensure what he/she has type is 100% correct and filled with the necessary information before clicking the submit button. He still has the windows period to edit the post if needed.

And further changes after the window period can be made as an another posts.

I certainly think by disallow edit to the post within a period of time will make AQ a even better marketplace.
    Bro silane, think locking the 1st post from being edited will prove a better option as the seller may need to update stuff from editing his/her 2nd post.
    But i have come across my own spelling error and accidently typing SMS Lingo without knowing and hence editing it right after for the sake of the members who do not understand SMS Lingo and even Singlish.

louis, think once a day for every thread not closed will have serious problems. Not everyone closes their threads after sales is closed. Some have good reasons, some are just plain LAZY.

StanChung bro, i understand "Upz" is a annoying thing to see. But then its also part of human-nature to see their post on the 1st page as long as they can. likewise auto moving of post back to page 1 once a day have points we have to take note also so it does not become a double-edged-axe.

This last thing i mention please do not take it too offensive but i do feel it must be mentioned. Not every person in singapore is free to login and update their post or being very I.T suavy of fourm functions and to go through so many things and spend time in front of their machines updating posts/replying PM and emails. Please do think of those people also when deciding on the change.

I do hope to see an impressive change in marketplace despite the many factors.

Cheers
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I would think disallowing the Up is a good move to keep seeing repetitive topic , on top of that, AQ might also want to consider limiting the number of new thread a member can create in a month in the marketplace section.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Hi Felix,

You are right about one thing, not everybody is very free.
    The last thing I would tell you is my time is more precious than yours. That would make me an idiot because everybody's time is precious.

AQ has more than six hundred active users a day.
    We only need 5-6 super sales members to make informative posts disappear from the New Post Search first page.
    We the moderators/senior members depend on this function to look for really new threads and discussions to help. But this function was drowned out by upz. Looking for informative threads became a time consuming task.

Some members have resorted to 'upz' their questions in getting a response to their questions in non sales threads. That is ridiculous.

There is already a solution being discussed that will make everybody happy and render this discussion moot. As Benny has said, stay tuned for the new changes.
    Last edited by benny; 2nd Nov 2009 at 15:48. Reason: Active users' statistics
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A brief pause....

Let us be clear on the objectives of this revision.

1. To make it easier for AQ members to find and read new informative posts in the forum

2. To prevent unnecessary clutter/traffic in forum (e.g. 'upz' in marketplace)

3. To retain and improve visibility of all marketplace threads for sellers

4. To encourage sellers to be more detailed in their advertisement

So, these objectives also clearly states that we are trying to improve visibility for sellers as well. Do not be discouraged and think that we are going to make it difficult for members to sell things. We are an establised forum and we are here to build a better community (within the constraints of the system and manpower). That will include a better platform for the marketplace based on good information, integrity and relative ease of use.

Nobody likes changes as it impacts the routine that we are used to. However, if there are no changes, the forum will stagnate and degenerate into a cesspool of chat/SMS lingo and 'upz' eventually. AQ aspires to be a quality platform for information sharing first and a conducive marketplace for our active members next.

As such, we are open to listen to comments before we impose these changes in the forum. Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Would it be possible for forum software to automatically filter buy and sales thread from New Post search?

Basically you won't be able to see buy and sale thread when you click New Post search. Member need to visit buy and sale section to see buy and sale thread.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast