Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help! My puffer just wont eat

Feedback Score

Help! My puffer just wont eat

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Need help here guys. Last weekend, saw my dwarf puffer resting on my MU bush,used a pincer to disturbed it and find that it spiral down to the bottom. it was sooooo skinny that I supposed it had not been able to find any snail to eat.

Quickly, I got him out of the tank and tried to feed him with frozen bloodworm. However, it does not seems to be interested. Recalled that I had saw it eating live daphnia during the time when I was treating my "green water", I quickly rushed to Pet Mart to get some. Managed to pull him back from the brink of death.

However, I reckon that it would be best if it could just take the frozen bloodworm that I have been feeding the rest with. Is there anyway to "force" it to eat the bloodworm? Can anyone share his experience in getting the puffer to eat bloodworm or any other kind of fish food?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IME, most puffers do not take flakes, pellets and even frozen food, especially dwarf puffers. They exclusively feed on live food: worms, snails, daphnia, etc.

BC

Feedback Score
    You can try waving the frozen blood worm around, as if it were alive, or drop it where the puffer can see the falling(moving) blood worm, feed one worm at a time though. Worked for me when my puffer was still around. But very time consuming..
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 4/22/2003 5:09:45 PM

You can try waving the frozen blood worm around, as if it were alive, or drop it where the puffer can see the falling(moving) blood worm, feed one worm at a time though. Worked for me when my puffer was still around. But very time consuming..
    ----------------
    I tried but it still wont work. Rather than seeing it dying in my tank, is there any hero out that who would like to adopt it?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I keep a lot of snails (mostly MTS) in my tank to feed my dwarf puffer... or did I keep the puffer to eat up my snails... whatever, I have it for 3 weeks now without feeding live food. Still going strong. The snail population is sustaining itself while the puffer is kept fed. But one small problem, it is also having tail fins of my cherry barbs for snack once in a while.

All my cherry barbs are having torn tail fins. So I am afraid if I add another one, the tails of my cherry barbs will be gone.

Why don't you feed live food for the time being? Introduce some snails from the LFS and let them multiply and become a food source for your puffer.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Try snails, they love them..
    If that fails, try live bloodworm and brine shrimp.
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    mine would eat dried shrimps when he saw another puffer enjoying the meal (he fought with him for the food actually!)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    most prob got some internal sickness.better pray he makes it thru.

Feedback Score
    mine actually stave to death. simply because it is not daring enough to vie for food. at its last few days, i saw him finally swollowing 1 frozen blood worm with much diffculties. it ended pooing the whole worm out without digesting it. so poor thing.

ken

Feedback Score
    Mine was worse keep fin nipping my tetras, my tank got snails also he won't eat, keep whacking my tetras only......in the end gave it away.

Feedback Score
    May b yr puffer is sick, got internal bacteria problem.
    Take care of your water, and your water will take care of your fish. Clear water may not be clean water. To obtain good water quality, nothing beat water change.