Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments abt Floresence lamp for plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Comments abt Floresence lamp for plants.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Wat is the best florence lamp for aquatic plants. I juz bought a boyu lamp for my 2 footer planted tank. Its reddish in colour. Anybody used it for his tank b4,izzit ok? The original lamp can it be used for my aquatic plant. Its stated BIO-LUX from china.

Do I hav to change it to Arcadian, triton, coral reef, syvania..... Which is better from yr experience? Which is best value for money? where do u buy from?

FYI, I dont like to use PL.

Thanks.[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    look for tubes that state the colour temperature as 6500k or daylight. these tubes output white light, which is quite close to natural daylight. you can get these fl tubes from electrical shops. just take note of the colour temperature.

one particular tube from hitachi called ebt has good feedback from forumers.

fl and pl are made using the same technology. the advantage of pl is that it is more compact.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I assume the Bio-Lux tube is not Osram Biolux.

Osram Biolux is a very good tube, code 965 (meaning 6500K with Ra >90). But I am not about the biolux you have.

If it has a pinkish hue, I think it is alright. Some tubes specially made to meet plant's photosynthetic requirement has a purplish to pinkish hue, due to the emphasis to the blue and red spectrum. (Osram Floura is one of such tube, but sadly I do not see it sold here.) But it may not appear natural to your eyes.

If you don't mind the colour, just stick to the bulb you have and try it out. I do not think that it is that critical.

IMO, those tubes form Accadia, etc., are not absolutely neccessary. They cost much more than normal tubes. The margin you gain may not be significant.

BC

Feedback Score
    hey bclee, I got a 2 feet tank and a light hood that can hold 2 FL tubes. The first tube i put Arcadia Original Tropical lamp which is pinkish in colour and meant to promote plant growth and photosynthesis. The other is just a white FL tube. I on both. Is that enough? Each tube 15W so altogether 30W. My gravel about 6cm high. I don;t know whether the plants will receive the Arcadia light not coz when i on both, white light seems stronger and hardly can see pinkish light. What's your view?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tawauboy, how much does the Hitachi ebt cost? I saw hitachi got tri phoshors.Izzit the one? Wat u r using? thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bclee, how much is the Osram tube n where to buy? Wat r u using? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Save your money. IMO, dun need those fancy $$$ FL tubes.

Get Philips 865 daylight at Kelantan Raod /lane.

Abt ~ $3-4, buy at least 6-10 pieces

I find that Hitachi abit more pinkish and cost more...
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/24/2003 10:15:54 AM

bclee, how much is the Osram tube n where to buy? Wat r u using? Thanks.
    ----------------
    Personally, I am using Osram PL tubes DULUX L 860. They have FL too LUMILUX 860. I find Osram tubes retain the brightness quite well over time. It should cost only a few dollars.

I have not seen Osram Biolux selling myself. But I think Allen1971 has bought it before maybe he can advice. It is gonna cost more because it is a full spectrum tube (most other normal tubes are tri-phospor).

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/24/2003 10:31:09 AM

I find that Hitachi abit more pinkish and cost more...
    ----------------
    Actually, I find the Hitachi Extra Brightness Tubes (HEBT) are more bluish than pnik. Actually, I like the HEBT cos it had instant impact for my planted tank. Plants actually loved the lights. Problem is HEBT dun come with PL version.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/24/2003 9:53:40 AM

hey bclee, I got a 2 feet tank and a light hood that can hold 2 FL tubes. The first tube i put Arcadia Original Tropical lamp which is pinkish in colour and meant to promote plant growth and photosynthesis. The other is just a white FL tube. I on both. Is that enough? Each tube 15W so altogether 30W. My gravel about 6cm high. I don;t know whether the plants will receive the Arcadia light not coz when i on both, white light seems stronger and hardly can see pinkish light. What's your view?
    ----------------
    Plants don't really "see" colours as they appear to you. They just utilise the blue and red ends of the spectrum.

The appearance does not really matter to plants as long as they contain the spectrum they need for photosynthesis.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sherwin, how to differentiate Hitachi tubes? I have bought a Hitachi daylight FL but has been sitting in the storeroom for quite some time. I am not sure whether it is HEBT or not.

What is the marking for HEBT?

BC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most importantly where to get? I am using the Arcadia Freshwaterlamp (750mm 25W) cost me $25 a piece. If there is a cheaper alternate and result is similar then guess the choice is clear!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    i bought Arcadia Original Tropical Lamp 15W 18" that promotes plant growth and photosynthesis at $29

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, I find the Hitachi Extra Brightness Tubes (HEBT) are more bluish than pnik. Actually, I like the HEBT cos it had instant impact for my planted tank. Plants actually loved the lights. Problem is HEBT dun come with PL version.

Wah! Interesting. Sherwin, WAt is the impact? Can u describe in detail. Wat lamps were u using before? How much did u pay for hebt? Where do u buy it from? Thanks for sharing the info.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys. HEBT izzit the one w TRI phosphor label on the tube? Or izzit printed EBT or HEBT. I think I going to get hitachi tube if it is not too expensive. BTW where to buy them n how much? Help needed to conclude my findings. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    On 4/24/2003 10:11:39 AM

tawauboy, how much does the Hitachi ebt cost? I saw hitachi got tri phoshors.Izzit the one? Wat u r using? thanks.
    ----------------
    i am using diy pl lights.
    the hitachi ebt can be found at light shops along jalan besar and maybe kelantan lane. maybe Sherwin can tell you more about the shops that sell these tubes.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can the Osram BioLux bulbs (PL format) be found at normal electrical stores, or do I have to go to an aquarium shop to find them?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If my memory serve me correctly, the tube should be marked "EX-B".

Ivanilla,
    The response was increased bubbling. Plants increased growth rate.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HEBT should be available at the shops along Kelantan Rd. Ask for Hitachi Extra Bright tubes. Only FL tubes are available... no PL. The last time I bought the 2ft tube, cost me $4.50. They also available in 3ft and 4ft.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If my memory serve me correctly, the tube should be marked "EX-B".

Sherwin,

Wat tube u r using before u use the Hitachi tube? I manage to get Hitachi 15 watts, F15T8/EX-D Hi-lumic D, Tri phosphor and made in Japan (from Pasir Ris fish farm). A bit ex compared to yr price. I got it for $6.00 for 1.5 ft.

Mine is EX-D while yrs is EX-B. Can double confirm yrs izzit EX-B or EX-D? If not I hav to kelantan rd to find liao

[]

Thanks a million.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast