Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

HDB permit for large fish tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    For those interested of setting up a big tank in HDB flats.
    Here's the link to the HDB webpage that states the guidelines.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p....ument#FishTank

*** Edit by Vinz: The purpose for this permit is not prohibition, but for safety review and considerations. Buildings are designed and built to take on certain amount of loading (i.e. amount of weight per square unit of floor space) only. A 4'x2'x2' tank plus cabinet, water, gravel, rocks and other additions can weigh over 1 tonne (1000kg), but that weight is concentrated in an area only 8 square foot in size. Among other things, HDB considers whether the weight is spread out properly (e.g. not just on 4 to 6 skinny legs, but on a frame that is fully in contact with the floor), location (e.g. near or on a load bearing beam and not in the middle of the floor) and possibly how many other people in that block is already stressing the building with heavy loads (fairly unlikely scenario that there can be that many large tanks in one block, let alone the same support column/beam).

Think of it this way, would you like it if your neighbour above you puts something so heavy that your ceiling starts to show cracks? Yes, a load that heavy can possibly do that. Think Hotel New World.

So for the sake of safety and consideration for your neighbours, bare with the incovenience and get your tank design/location reviewed and qualified. ***
    Last edited by vinz; 13th Jul 2010 at 10:18. Reason: Update the link.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha,

If thats the case, guess a lot of us here, me included will be in the 'culprit' list.
    Last edited by vinz; 27th Sep 2006 at 22:00. Reason: Fixed smileys.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Should owner submit the application or tenants also can? Just asking, because I am (will be) renting an HDB flat, so I was wondering who should make the application?

Btw, is there any fee for that? And what is the penalty fee if the culprit is caught?

Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I know that the designer or contractor did the submission (and several re-submissions to satisfy HDB and get approval) for a friend's case. Just give HDB a call. Do update this thread when you find out.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession View Post
    Should owner submit the application or tenants also can? Just asking, because I am (will be) renting an HDB flat, so I was wondering who should make the application?

Btw, is there any fee for that? And what is the penalty fee if the culprit is caught?

Christophe

It's free. however do make sure that you have a proper drawing up of the flat layout, location of intended placement of tank, specification of the tank, weight and etc. HDB = Town council would then submit your application to civil engineer office for approval. It's better to do a good write up if you dun want ping pong (back and fro effect)

Do pm me if you need a template of the application!
    Mine went through - Approved

Btw you wouldn't be label as an culprit and as long your neighbour below don't complain of any crack. How its more like we need to be considerate to our neighbours and be extra careful, imagine placing a oversize tanks that weights tons...above the heads of others

A piece of mind!!! Get the permit!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Please send me a good template in my email. Christopheatnusdotedudotsg Thanks a lot.

How long does the approval process take? Days or weeks? or Months? Thanks.

As I have updates, I will post here.

Regards
    Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sent you the template!

It doesn't takes too long, it's about 1~2 weeks time before they go back to you and don't worry about over designing your tank, its alright to over estimate the size - that's what I reckon, let them decide whether it's acceptable. Because majority of the time it really depend on our flat design, built of pillars, beams location and etc.

So the second time when you reapply you will know what's best for you.

Oh, i forgot they would explain to you the reason if they fail your application and suggest for other alternative such as replacement or reduce of tank size in a well written form haaaaa! Not worries!
    Last edited by yappeyap; 4th Dec 2006 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    has anyone applied for a large fish tank say more than 5ft from HDB and got approval?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote66 View Post
    has anyone applied for a large fish tank say more than 5ft from HDB and got approval?

Mate, it's very subjective no point comparing other to yourselves. Cause to due to the differents in flats layout, beam location, tank placement etc etc...

Best is to submit to the town council an application, it's free!

Furthermore if it fails, they would explain to you why it fail and they will also provided you suggestion in the letter on how they would only approve it. Either you reduce the tank size or re-allocation placement of the tank....

No worries just submit eariler if you are getting the new setup done soon. (Need to cater lead time for the "ping pong effect")

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yappeyap View Post
    Mate, it's very subjective no point comparing other to yourselves. Cause to due to the differents in flats layout, beam location, tank placement etc etc...

Best is to submit to the town council an application, it's free!

Furthermore if it fails, they would explain to you why it fail and they will also provided you suggestion in the letter on how they would only approve it. Either you reduce the tank size or re-allocation placement of the tank....

No worries just submit eariler if you are getting the new setup done soon. (Need to cater lead time for the "ping pong effect")
    thank for the advice
    i am only afraid that they tell me to go for a 4feet or 5 feet
    den u get stuck as now they know u want a bigger tank
    and may conduct spot check if u just go for a 6 feet
    or some bros here actually quietely just go for bigger tank without let them know

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote66 View Post
    thank for the advice
    i am only afraid that they tell me to go for a 4feet or 5 feet
    den u get stuck as now they know u want a bigger tank
    and may conduct spot check if u just go for a 6 feet
    or some bros here actually quietely just go for bigger tank without let them know
    Oh i undestand your situation. I too initially wanted a bigger tank, a 6ftx2.5ftx2.5ft however after doing some calculation i found out that it weights over a tonne. Mann....just imagine if i go ahead secretly builing it and what if it collaspe, i'll be killing innocent party, face the law, force replace damages (massive cost) or even worst kick out by HDB....No point right! i'm not saying you are doing the wrong way, just some thoughts you should consider

Btw a 6ft is still possible, i submitted 3 application and on the 2nd application, HDB mentioned that with my present flat layout, they allow me to have a 6ft only if i place the tank at specific location, which i didn't. i didnt want their proposal so, there goes further reduce in tank size till they approve haaaa!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi bro Yap, are you still keeping the template for HDB application? May i have a copy of it?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lolo View Post
    hi bro Yap, are you still keeping the template for HDB application? May i have a copy of it?
    Mate sent me your email address....the template has passed AQ attachement file size limitation...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sent to your hotmail. still no privillege to PM you from here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi dude din know the consequences as I just set up a 5FT tank in my 3 room flat. Can send the template to me. thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by S750WP View Post
    Hi dude din know the consequences as I just set up a 5FT tank in my 3 room flat. Can send the template to me. thanks.
    Hi,

Sending you the file is not problem, however as explain in the previously post the "Tank application template" file size i have was way passed AQ's file attachement size limit and unable to saved the file as an attachment in AQ's server

Thus appreciate you guys/gals whom are interested, provide me with your alternative email address such that i could send it to.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, My application for my 522 tank has successfully gone through the process and been approved with Yap's template. But it lasted for one month as the first try was rejected for overweight. They suggested me to place it to a specific location where i dont like. Then i wrote an appeal letter to them that i made a mistake on the weight calculation in my first application. I should have excluded the tank volume occupied by sand and driftwoods. So the total estimated weight is 560kg, which is still within the 600kg weight limit, instead of 680kg in my previous application. A few days later, the town council staff called me to confirm that my tank weight will be less than 600kg, and two more days later it's approved. Actually i have started to prepare another application for a 5x1.5x2 tank if failed :P

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Mate sent me your email address....the template has passed AQ attachement file size limitation...
    Any chance of forwarding me the template?
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Sending you the file is not problem, however as explain in the previously post the "Tank application template" file size i have was way passed AQ's file attachement size limit and unable to saved the file as an attachment in AQ's server

Thus appreciate you guys/gals whom are interested, provide me with your alternative email address such that i could send it to.
    my email add is [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's free. however do make sure that you have a proper drawing up of the flat layout, location of intended placement of tank, specification of the tank, weight and etc. HDB = Town council would then submit your application to civil engineer office for approval. It's better to do a good write up if you dun want ping pong (back and fro effect)

Do pm me if you need a template of the application!
    Mine went through - Approved

Btw you wouldn't be label as an culprit and as long your neighbour below don't complain of any crack. How its more like we need to be considerate to our neighbours and be extra careful, imagine placing a oversize tanks that weights tons...above the heads of others

A piece of mind!!! Get the permit!
    bro i presently have a 4x2x2 but without permit oops..can send me the template my email : [email protected]
    thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast