1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    a 4x2x2 is under 600kg usually unless you have lots of rocks or use a sump =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks bro yappeyap for the template

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hello i am also going to have a 4x2x2 tank can also have a copy...my email: [email protected]

Thks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yappeyap View Post
    Sent you the template!

It doesn't takes too long, it's about 1~2 weeks time before they go back to you and don't worry about over designing your tank, its alright to over estimate the size - that's what I reckon, let them decide whether it's acceptable. Because majority of the time it really depend on our flat design, built of pillars, beams location and etc.

So the second time when you reapply you will know what's best for you.

Oh, i forgot they would explain to you the reason if they fail your application and suggest for other alternative such as replacement or reduce of tank size in a well written form haaaaa! Not worries!
    Hi yappeyap,

Can send me a copy 4 reference?

Thanks

Email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Up to date all request for the tank application template had been send.

Just wondering what's success rate?

Cheers
    Alex

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yappeyap View Post
    Up to date all request for the tank application template had been send.

Just wondering what's success rate?

Cheers
    Alex
    Hi Alex

i just saw this thread, can you send the template to me as well: [email protected] as i will be getting a 622 in future, thanks bro!

Darric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Alex for the template .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    a 4x2x2 is under 600kg usually unless you have lots of rocks or use a sump =)
    For this kind of things, I rather err on the side of caution, hence I tend to over-estimate.

Just the water alone is about 450 kg. Now add:
    - Glass
    - Filter (+additional water in the filter)
    - CO2 system (Cylinder, etc)
    - Lighting system
    - Gravel, rocks, wood, etc (ok, this is in-tank and displaces some of the water, but most of it is denser then water and does increase the total weight)
    - Cabinet (depends on amount and types of materials used, the actual construction, etc... but again lets err on the side of caution.)
    - Plus whatever else we tend to hide in the cabinet (hoses, pails, fish food, medication, spare filters, spare lights, spare tank, spare cylinder, spar gravel, spare rocks... ?) We tend to forget these in our calculations.

Disclaimer: I've not tried estimating to any accuracy the weight of the above.

Illumnae, I'm not challenging your comment. I just want readers to know what they need to consider.

In any case, 4'x2'x2' is well above the size that requires a permit from HDB, regardless of what the actual weight is.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I happen to deal with strucural people on this type of issues before. Each individual and his/her setup would be different and some may or may not require permit actually. The loading of the building is design to house a certain load with respect to its floor area.

1. You are unlikely to get into trouble if you dont get a permit - unless things happen or neighbours complain.

2. The service may not be free as it requires a structural engineer to calculate the loading and certified that it is safe.( I say this cause goverment is very smart - to determine the actual weight of your tank is very difficult and the goverment is just taking your words/declaration and do the calculation. When things happen - I think the arrow will eventually still be your fault cause the actual weight is not what you declare.)

3. In general a 4 to 5ft tank is design with its cabinet/base able to support its load (the tank and water...etc) - the floor of HDB is able to take such load. The KEY word is cabinet - ie resting on a flat bottom area and not on legs. Loading is calculate = weight / surface area. (so if your tank is resting on 4 legs - it is tremendous loading/pressure on those legs and more likely causing crack to the tile or flooring it is on.) - pressue on a single points instead of being spread out

4. The number of tanks at a certain area of the house will affect the loading as well. ie 1 4ft tank at the same place vs 3 to 5 3ft to 5ft tanks on the same place.

In summary - If you have just 1 4ft to 5ft tank with cabinet, it is safe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: HDB permit for large fish tank

Oh no, my 5'x2'x2' just arrive last week..... Anyway thanks for the info. I have the application from the HDB website already.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Wow i never realized larger tanks had to go thru HDB. Here in the U.S. there is even floor with aquarium underneath.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey guys, I have a friend who is moving house soon, had bought a 6ft tank with stand. So does he have to declare anything? He stays in high floor somemore....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I happen to deal with strucural people on this type of issues before. Each individual and his/her setup would be different and some may or may not require permit actually. The loading of the building is design to house a certain load with respect to its floor area.

1. You are unlikely to get into trouble if you dont get a permit - unless things happen or neighbours complain.

2. The service may not be free as it requires a structural engineer to calculate the loading and certified that it is safe.( I say this cause goverment is very smart - to determine the actual weight of your tank is very difficult and the goverment is just taking your words/declaration and do the calculation. When things happen - I think the arrow will eventually still be your fault cause the actual weight is not what you declare.)

3. In general a 4 to 5ft tank is design with its cabinet/base able to support its load (the tank and water...etc) - the floor of HDB is able to take such load. The KEY word is cabinet - ie resting on a flat bottom area and not on legs. Loading is calculate = weight / surface area. (so if your tank is resting on 4 legs - it is tremendous loading/pressure on those legs and more likely causing crack to the tile or flooring it is on.) - pressue on a single points instead of being spread out

4. The number of tanks at a certain area of the house will affect the loading as well. ie 1 4ft tank at the same place vs 3 to 5 3ft to 5ft tanks on the same place.

In summary - If you have just 1 4ft to 5ft tank with cabinet, it is safe.

My opinion.

If something happen, which is more serious?
    - Never declare, or
    - Declare "wrongly"?

And by the time your neigbourhood complain, it's either damn serious or someone has lose it's life. Not even one can pick up any sign of cracks or failure. Thus it's safer than sorry.

Who care, whether a structural engineer or certified person go into the fine details examining your submission, the point is get some official approval. Black & white from the government.

And no, it's not the same all round the flats where you place the tank. The height/storey of flats also plays apart. HDB has a set of rules and regulation how they determine whether to approve the submission.

Hopefully anyone whom intend to setup large tank take serious consideration.

You never know if you are going to be the unlucky one

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi yappeyap, may i have a copy of the template please (: my email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i know off one hobbyist who has a 822 and he didn't apply for permiy but then again it always pays to be on the safe side... BTW, i have a 422 with sump and I didn't get a permit
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My uncle has 6 4ft tanks in 2 3tier rack all with aro for many years, he didn't get any permit from HDB.
    My neighbour has 16 2ft tanks in his balcony which he didn't get any permit.
    The point here is if we have proper weigh displacement and do not cause any inconvince to the neighbourhood. It is fine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by adolfoi View Post
    My uncle has 6 4ft tanks in 2 3tier rack all with aro for many years, he didn't get any permit from HDB.
    My neighbour has 16 2ft tanks in his balcony which he didn't get any permit.
    The point here is if we have proper weigh displacement and do not cause any inconvince to the neighbourhood. It is fine.
    what are the dimensions of the 4ft and 2ft tanks?
    all with full aquascaping?or bare tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
    what are the dimensions of the 4ft and 2ft tanks?
    all with full aquascaping?or bare tank?
    Wow hahaha....since I 1st posted in Dec 2006 till today, i still people asking me for the template hahaaaaa, of course no problem...send
    Young Man check your email

Good Luck
    Alex

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I didn't know 4ft tank need HDB approval .... I guess a lot of people out there just as ignorant. This is for HDB but how about condominiums? Need to ask building management is it??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi wondering if u still hvin the template for hdb approval template regarding tank, if so could u email me [email protected] thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast