Country
    United_States

First collecting expedition to Rio Parimanu

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone,

My company, WildPeru is planning the first ever comprehensive survey of the Fishes of the Rio Parimanu basin in Southern Peru for next July. We plan to be out collecting for 7 days. A second week will follow this one exploring hillstream habitats for new fishes in the cloud forest of the Andean foothills. For more information please Feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Best,
    Brian Perkins
    WildPERU

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: First collecting expedition to Rio Parimanu

Is it events for everyone?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States

Re: First collecting expedition to Rio Parimanu

Quote Originally Posted by jerrydamo View Post
    Is it events for everyone?
    Yes, this will be a fascinating journey. This river is unusual and intruiging in several respects. Compared to it's neighbors, it is relatively deep, and it passes through some unique geology. There are reports of extensive areas of Bamboo forest mixed into the jungle there, containing specialized fauna. The rivers headwaters are near to Manu National Park containing tribes of voluntarily uncontacted natives. Without special permission to enter these areas, we will concentrate on fishing the tributaries of the main river, systematically sampling, photograhing, data collection and preservation of the fishes we encounter.

We still have some flexibility regarding the precise timing of the trip, however we have narrowed down the timeframe to July or August 2010. We will travel by motorized canoe, and be self-supporting. We will be able to camp on the river beaches, cook our own food and be able to fish the area thoroughly. I want go for 7-10 days.

I want to go next year, because my contacts in Lima gave just told me that a forestry concession is in the process of aproval for a portion of this area, and I want to get there before the loggers do. So there is some urgency here to see this river before it changes!

I want to keep the group small and very mobile, so will limit the group size to no more than six persons including myself. So this will be a very special trip. The river basin has never seen any collecting and needs to be investigated before things change.

We still have room on this expedition for a few more adventurous people who want to explore. If you think this sort of expedition is one you would like to participate in, and you are interested to know more, please PM me at [email protected]
    Brian Perkins
    WildPERU
    Custom Jungle Adventure
    www.wildperu.blogspot.com
    www.wildperu.net