Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Nervous Koi?

Feedback Score

Nervous Koi?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've been keeping outdoor pond at home for a couple of months already, but the koi in there sometimes get very agitated and nervous. Nowadays, they'll even swim around the pond frantically, banging everywhere, whenever they hear footsteps!

There was this time when the koi started dying, so i suspected that it was water poisoning. I changed 50% of the water daily for 3 days, and it was fine, but only for a week! after that, it was back to nervous fishes.

There's plently of shade for them during the afternoons, so i don't think it's a temp. porblem... Is there a fundamental problem with my pond?

Would really appreciate any feedback / views / advice that you have on this matter... thanks![]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I tot Koi always like that?
    the problem does seem to help when you keep in lots
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    I don't think kois are naturally nervous. I once saw kids patting a white koi at Fullerton Hotel and they only stopped when the auntie chased them away.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

hi if you've been keeping them for months and have been feeding them personally I think they should get used to you by now. when I kept them for a while last time, what I did was to feed then stand aside and slowly decrease my distance to them each time at feeding till they were comfortable. but then I assume given a few months this couldn't be your problem, so my deduction is cats or dogs bothering the koi? I had a neighbour's cat which kept preying on my kois till I had to give them up. maybe something similar is happening to yours?

And yes when my kois are scared they always do the head banging stuff too. never turned into luohan thankfully

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But i heard that must be kept for very long then become tame one

Feedback Score
    Actually I've kept them for more than a year already! Quite a lot of them in the pond, about 10 - 15 kois, about a foot in length each... Might be the damn birds... Even caught a KINGFISHER hanging aroung the place! and i'm staying near the city! Anything i can do about THAT?!?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    KingFisher is the same size as a mynah. Your koi is a foot long. The bird doesn't have the strength 2 carry or the mouth 2 swallow your koi. On the other hand, there are a few raptor species that are found locally in Sg. These might fly off wif your koi. But they need a long glide path 2 swoop down n catch the fish. Could be vibration from the nearby road though( if there is a road a few metre from the pond). Take a pic of the pond n post here. Maybe someone could help you.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    actually they don't DISSAPPEAR from the tank... they're just very nervous, and then suddenly one of them will be swimming sideways, and before long, there goes another koi! sigh... i'll post the pic of my tank soon!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Plant floating plants to provide cover for them?
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    er you lost me. First u said you been keeping for a few month. Then later u said you kept them for more than a year. You said they were in a pond n that you saw a kingfisher hanging around the pond. Now u reply that u gonna post a pic of the tank? So which is which? We would want 2 help u deal wif the problem if u tell us the whole story. Don't take this the hard way but if we could help we would.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Every koi pond need a leader. They are called charge-koi. Usually brown or grey and will take the lead. Everyone will follow the leader.

I'm not a koi expert but my friend is. I think if you keep koi you better go to specific forum on koi. I like koi but there is simply no space for them.

http://www.singapore-koiclub.org/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/24/2003 1:40:56 PM

Every koi pond need a leader. They are called charge-koi. Usually brown or grey and will take the lead. Everyone will follow the leader.

I'm not a koi expert but my friend is. I think if you keep koi you better go to specific forum on koi. I like koi but there is simply no space for them.

http://www.singapore-koiclub.org/
    ----------------
    Get a grass carp as leader koi!!!

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 4/23/2003 2:13:17 PM

er you lost me. First u said you been keeping for a few month. Then later u said you kept them for more than a year. You said they were in a pond n that you saw a kingfisher hanging around the pond. Now u reply that u gonna post a pic of the tank? So which is which? We would want 2 help u deal wif the problem if u tell us the whole story. Don't take this the hard way but if we could help we would.
    ----------------
    Sorry for the mis-information... I've been keeping this POND for about a year already... And it's a pond, definately a pond! wouldn't go keeping kois in a tank!