Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help on keeping Guppy!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I juz started keeping guppy, it was fine at first till a few got white patches on the fins, seems like fungus. Put Rid all(greenish solution). Next day, a few died, fins start to rot too, some fins cant move also. Than they go surface for air, seems like got breathing problem. Put all fishes in a plastic tank n add medication(ocean free anti slime n velvet) n salt. Fishes start to die rapidly. Went down fish shop to get OXYCURE and waterlife MYXAZIN.Change medication, a few more died. But seems like better. Later a few more die. Change water as it is stink form dead bacteria. Juz put oxycure only. Left a few guppy only. (All medication is used as recomended on the bottle and water is seasoned water.)

Wats wrong w guppy? I kept all types of fishes b4, but guppy is weak compared to other fishes. Any advice or medication to give. Pls share w me yr precious experiences w guppy. Going to get more guppy when everything is stable .

Thanks.

you have to provide more info on the tank you keep the guppies in, like how big and how new is it, is it planted, what other inhabitants and their health, how many guppies you dumped in at first. most imptly, were the guppies healthy to begin with, lots of lfs stuff many guppies into one tank which leads to unhealthy guppies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    depending on where you get your guppies from.

in some lfs , the guppy tanks tend to be overcrowded and not maintained/quarantined , the tanks tend to be infected.

the white patch isn't fungus usually , its columnaris, I suggest you use Befuran to treat instead.

(and make sure you quarantine the survivors).

I tend to get cheap ordinary females from swee seng *?* (along sunset way).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have the same problem. I think it is the water, too low PH. That was my problem.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe your guppies are those brackish water types
    Try to get from those LFS that sell freshwater.adapt to our tapwater type.
    The guppies i bred is very strong,they can live from my tapwater,if not u shld add salt to ur guppies tank
    When there is water,there will be fish

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Check your water pH see if its low, best maintain at 6.5 above. Can add crushed corals to maintain.

As for sunset way female guppies, try not to choose those colorful females cos ever bought from there but no fries, suspect infertile.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/28/2003 8:14:09 AM

the white patch isn't fungus usually , its columnaris, I suggest you use Befuran to treat instead.

----------------

depends on what it looks like
    i've never seen columnaris before, so i can't really tell, but most of the time the first thing to hit when the water is bad is fungus

what i would recommend...
    change the water...
    the pH is nice, but not absolutely critical
    if you're playing with the pH and trying to save them at the same time i can confirm + chop they will all go to fish heaven
    try a little salt, that usually helps with fungus
    also, guppies, platies and swordtails are supposed to like some salt in their water

good luck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    One thing I find that is you have added too much of different kinds of medication.

Another thing is that if your guppy is already stress or sick, the more you separate them, the faster they will die.

What you can do is to add some salt and bring the PH up a little, baking soda or coral chips and a bubble it with air. Try avoiding separating them with a small container.

Oh yes, if you have bought those feeder guppies, most of them lived off brackish water. It's quite difficult to convert those guppies to your tank water conditions. Adding more salt may help a little.

If you want to keep guppies, ask from us here who have lots of spare guppies. I bet some of them will have lots for spare.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

Anyone here has any guppies to spare...kinda hook on to them recently.

Thanks,
    Ivan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Befuran izzit the yellow powder(anti-biotic) for gold fish?
    I packed the fishes in a 1 ft cube tanks. Abt 16 fishes!! Fishes is bought from everywhere,biotope, pasir ris, rainbow but i suspect the ones from clementi! No offence, juz my guess. So wat is the best measure to prevent casualties for newly bought guppy? Shd put salt? medication?? Any general aid? Thanks.