Country
    Singapore

Endlers guppy / Poecilia wingei care

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there

Any experts of such breed of guppies? Need your advise on keeping this breed of guppies; what kind of set up do they require, and are they similar to regular guppies? Understand they're pretty hardy and can be found in drains too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Endlers guppy / Poecilia wingei care

Same care as for guppies. This species doesn't seem to eat their own fry. However it's still advisable to separate the fry from the parents if you are unsure how they will react.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My endlers have been having a high mortality rate; just 2 died this morning in a supposedly breeding tank.

They seem to be ok in a tank with not purely clean water, mosses and hornworts without any pump. Anyone can suggest a best way to keep them alive? The fries are also suffering high mortality rate when I placed them in tank with HOF set at minimum flow power.

Here's a pic of their new home where they're doing ok...

http://schwarzison.multiply.com/photos/photo/79/43

The fries' home:

http://schwarzison.multiply.com/photos/photo/79/44
    Last edited by cyruslaguna; 7th Dec 2009 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've been keeping endlers for quite some time. I keep mine in a 10 Gal with galaxies and scarlet badis.

Endlers typically prefer slightly harder water. I use aged tap water with nothing else added. Works fine.

The best way to ensure fry survival is to leave them in the same tank (without any major >40% water changes) till they get to about 2-3 weeks of age. The parents don't usually bother about them if you feed them daily.

Since you don't have a filtering system, you may want to do 10% changes daily to ensure water quality. Also, I'd stay away from liquifry/egg yold as it fouls the water easily. I feed live daphnia/bbs and small amounts of crushed flake.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Emokidz View Post
    I've been keeping endlers for quite some time. I keep mine in a 10 Gal with galaxies and scarlet badis.

Endlers typically prefer slightly harder water. I use aged tap water with nothing else added. Works fine.

The best way to ensure fry survival is to leave them in the same tank (without any major >40% water changes) till they get to about 2-3 weeks of age. The parents don't usually bother about them if you feed them daily.

Since you don't have a filtering system, you may want to do 10% changes daily to ensure water quality. Also, I'd stay away from liquifry/egg yold as it fouls the water easily. I feed live daphnia/bbs and small amounts of crushed flake.
    how often do you keep the tap water before it's deemed? I've use anti-chlorine treated water and leave for at least 5 mins, before adding them into the tank with aged water (l add less than 10%). Learnt that tap water can be used after adding anti-chlorine and leaving it for 5mins. Both tanks are without fan to lower temperature.

For the main tank, I've put lots of mosses and hornworts, and now an airpump turned on so they don't keep swimming at surface of water. Population in main tank consists of full adults and fries.

My endlers feed solely on flakes. Could the fries have died due to water quality, and temperature for both tanks? Found 2 dead in the main tank before turning on airpump. Flow still seems too strong for them despite setting it to minimum.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

how often do you keep the tap water before it's deemed?

I usually leave the water to age for 2-3 days.

For the main tank, I've put lots of mosses and hornworts, and now an airpump turned on so they don't keep swimming at surface of water. Population in main tank consists of full adults and fries.

Yup, those plants work fine. I personally use java moss and cabomba.

Could the fries have died due to water quality, and temperature for both tanks? Found 2 dead in the main tank before turning on airpump. Flow still seems too strong for them despite setting it to minimum.

Flow shouldn't affect them too much. They're pretty hardy swimmers. I usually leave the fry in the same tank they were born in. Transfering them may result in casualties especially when netting them out of water.

As for water quality, it will affect the growth rate, but the fries wouldn't usually die off unless it gets more extreme. If the water has a milky / cloudy tinge, it'll be good to do a partial water change.

Hope this helps
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

they're all doing fine now in main tank and ice cream tubs; water had been cleansed to maximum without adding too much fresh water, antichlorinised to avoid stressing them.

Do you think the plants are sufficient in my 1st pic of the main tank?

Would you recommend a covered tank since Endlers hsve tendancy to jump out of water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Actually endlers are very very hard.. The first time i kept them, i have space constraint. What i use is the microwaveable container, clear type, with only 1.5 inch water to raise the fry and adults as well. No casualties except for those which jump out from the container. They are pretty good jumper, so.. keep an eye on that!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My sole female endler gave birth to 3 fries yesterday.

Is that usual or they have bigger broods?

These fries are quite big relative to the mother; i wonder how they could have fitted into her belly.