Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: growth of plants (need to trim?)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

growth of plants (need to trim?)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my stem plants have been growing very fast.
    some have already reach the water surface and beginning to bend.
    is it ok to cut the stems and re-plant the cut plants?

i am using pl 2x18w lighting for a 1.5 feet tank.
    enough lights? dunno y the stem plants start to bend
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's good to trim those away because they will be blocking the light from other plants below. It's good to replant the tops if not too troublesome to you. The bottom part can also grow and become bushier. Over time you might want to discard the bottom part of the plant too which has become "old".

If you don't cut and leave the stem growing on the surface, new shoots might appear and grow emersed.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    stem plants will either bend or grow out of the water
    ime only certain stem plants like to grow out of the water while others seem to enjoy trailing on the surface
    technically the best thing to do is to pull up the bugger, snip and replant the top
    but it's very sickening to see all the base fert follow the roots, so what some people do is they snip off the offending top at the place where it joins the main stem and leave it alone

the problem with this is the plant stem will eventually stagnate and die off
    so, try to alternate the two methods if you're going to be slack

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most stem plants grow back multiple shoots and become bushy if you cut off the tops and leave the bottom planted. After this is repeated a few times, the bottoms become old and scraggly. This is when you uproot the bottoms and replant the tops.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    which means that i will have to overhaul my tank after some time right?
    if the condition of the base of the plants get bad enough for a overhaul, how will it impact the fishes n plants?
    need to re-cycle tank?
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to hijack this thread guys...

I have some problems when i uproot the plants that i don't intend to keep in my tank. But some of these plants have a really strong root system and when i pull them up they pull up my base fert as well (eg. H.Difformis). Really gives me a headache as i have to do a large water change. Any advice how to uproot the plants without causing the base fert to leach into the water column?
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just pull it up very slowly. Pull a bit, jiggle a bit to let the gravel settle, pull a little more... (repeat)

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/29/2003 11:15:13 AM

which means that i will have to overhaul my tank after some time right?
    if the condition of the base of the plants get bad enough for a overhaul, how will it impact the fishes n plants?
    need to re-cycle tank?
    ----------------
    You can do a little each time. Even among the stem plants, you can choose to do snip-off-and-throw or replant-the-top-and-discard-bottom alternately.

That's why it can be quite tedious to maintain a tank full of stem plants. But not so tedious as to overhaul the whole tank!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    I would prefer to let them grow emerge and only trim those above water level. Why ? I think those leaves will be able to take in CO2 more efficiently from the air and because of this advantage, it produces healthier tank. Of course blocking the light is one disadvantage so some arrangement in the planats is needed. The stem is bend near the surface because it is not strong enough to support aerial growth. I am wondering if we could somehow clip the stem so to support it growth upwards to the air (I haven't try yet).