Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing Water Stains / Lime Deposits (Secret Weapon)

Feedback Score
    3 (80%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Removing Water Stains / Lime Deposits (Secret Weapon)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Im using the old school way to clear away the stained, Baking soda, it also works, cheap and good.

So far it works for me..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rent_broker View Post
    Im using the old school way to clear away the stained, Baking soda, it also works, cheap and good.

So far it works for me..
    You using it by scrubbing the powder on the area to be cleaned or did you mix the powder in water than use sponge dipped in the solution to clean the area?
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    3 (80%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    You using it by scrubbing the powder on the area to be cleaned or did you mix the powder in water than use sponge dipped in the solution to clean the area?
    I mixed the powder in water than use sponge or cloth dipped in the solution to clean the area.
    Run the tank with clean water after.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

how to use the baking powder?any waiting time after placing it on the affected areas?

Feedback Score
    3 (80%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seborf View Post
    how to use the baking powder?any waiting time after placing it on the affected areas?
    just wipe it on affected area, repeat if necessary, its very simple actually till stained is removed.
    try that on your cooking stove, you will be amazed by the end result.

Feedback Score
    3 (80%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Re: Removing Water Stains / Lime Deposits (Secret Weapon)

Hi all, thought of sharing how it should be done with baking soda.
    Steps as follows;

1 & 2-Mixed baking soda with water and stir.
    3) Wipe affected area.
    Can you spot the difference??

I used this method to clean my tank and also kitchen top, very effective and cost saving..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Baking soda sounds wonderful. I use a very sharp blade together with some mild acid. Works by repeating once or twice as the acid softens the stains. Looks like new everytime but not suitable for acrylic tanks.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    First of all I have to state that this is not a product endorsement or advertisement, I just wanted to share something interesting with my fellow AQers, hehe.

I was running my 3ft without a chiller for about 7 months, cooling it with 3x 80mm 12v DC Fans, the evaporation rate was killer, I was topping up about 25 Liters of water every 4 - 5 days.

Over time a serious amount of deposits collected around the top of the tank, I'll show you the horrifying picture.
    Attachment 15702
    Eventually it got so bad I decommed the tank and transferred its occupants into several other smaller tanks.

I managed to find this sponge at a provision store, and I proceeded to attack the problem with diluted white vinegar, it wasn't really working, and it was incredibly tedious.
    Attachment 15703

I decided to try something I had around for cleaning my marine tank. A cleaning product called Rowa Ezeclean, its used mainly for removing coralline algae buildup in marine tanks / equipment.
    Attachment 15704

I believe its an organo-phosphoric acid, and I couldn't find any information on its toxicity online, but I decided to give it a go any way. I've used it many times on my marine tank equipment (not while its in the tank of course) and didn't have issues with it.

Quite amazing how well it worked, I had to remove the hood to clean it properly, but it was cutting through the lime deposits very rapidly, about an hour later.
    Attachment 15705

So yeah I'd say it was pretty effective. I very thoroughly rinsed and cleaned out the tank afterwards, just playing around with some rocks in there for now, but haven't decided when to start cycling it yet, I still need to plumb in my chiller.

I've not seen anyone else try this and the product isn't sold for this purpose either, so try at your own risk, heh
    I use Aquarium Wipes and sprays.
    LAND OF THE FREE.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I got something too! Found in Daiso when i looking for Melemine Sponge. Its all Japanese but has some English tha says "Power of citric acid decomposes and removes water stain! Disposable type" It's 4 pcs in a bag, looks like mini sponge we use for the dish washing with 1 side soft sponge & 1 side rough. Quite effective, in fact better results than the Melemine Sponge. Easy & cheap.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am using those micro-fiber cloth & water from my tank it gets rid of stains even algue without any chemical involve.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think when your water stains build up beyond a certain degree, you can no longer remove it without some form of acid or microabrasive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

just to confirm, we can use melamine sponge on a running tank?
    the melamine contents from the sponge will not harm our shrimps in it right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Don't get the scented ones. Actually the melamine sponge is good for acrylic tank.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Melamine foam is generally regarded as safe to use in a running tank.

Many of the marine tank keepers have discovered this type of foam recently also, especially those using acrylic tanks.

They've been using it for a few months to clean tanks that have calcium deposits and coralline algae growth.

I picked some up at Daiso last weekend, will report back when I've had a chance to use it.

If you've never tried scrubbing coralline algae before, it can be incredibly tough to get out, sometimes even scraping hard with an old credit card won't get all of it off.

They use melamine sponge in these cases, because you cannot use stuff like Ezeclean and vinegar or lemons in a running tank.
    Just a caution. Melamine is abrasive and if used prolong on acrylic will cause forming of fine lines.... These eventually will blur the tank and non recoverable! BUT its good for glass!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

All fine scratches on acrylic tanks can be removed with some acrylic polish and elbow grease, just not while the tank is running.

Even more serious scratches can be polished out.

Acrylic is optically clearer, stronger and more durable than glass as long as you are gentle with it.

That said, I have not noticed any visible scratches or lines from using melamine sponges, yes they are micro-abrasives, but all the melamine sponges I've seen at Daiso are so fine that it will most likely take you a long time (years with monthly cleanings) to start noticing any changes in clarity of your acrylic tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Any pictures on the Melamine spongue from Daiso?

Worried too many types and all in Jap wording will get something unsuitable instead for a aquarium.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

will the melamine affect t5he water in any way? any goof acrylic polish to reccomend? need it for exterior scratch

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Tried pure lemon juice directly on to the surface with a bit of hard rubbing and it works! but my water stains were there only for about a year..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For extremely tough stain, this is what I will do.

3% hydrogen peroxide solution (those found in pharmacy), soak for 30 minutes. This is generally fish safe, so no need to rinse off. Do not do this in a running tank. This is already extremely diluted, any more liquid will dilute it even more. Do not dry it before step 2.

Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), also soak for 30 minutes. Rinse and shake slightly, keeping a bit of water on the surface (a few drops will do).

Critic acid crystals (NTUC, phoon huat. For NTUC can find it under the baking->making jelly section. there's a red man brand with green packaging and a lemon in the middle. Same acid as lemon, just cheaper, more concentrated and without the lemon mama type of smell. Some fish do not like lemon smell, :P). Just pour some onto the wet surface. It should dissolve. If there's some solids left, add a few more drop. Do not dilute too much. Leave for 1 hour.

Rinse. Use finger to wipe off any deposit. If there's still deposits left, proceed to next step

Glucosamine supplement (optional). For those who need extra lubricant for their joints in step 6.

Dry cloth and critic acid crystal. Make sure surface is extra dry. Spread a fine layer of crystal and slowly rub/sand the surface for a few minutes. Wipe off any crystals when done. If there's still deposits left, proceed to next step.

Another dry cloth and baking soda. Do not use previous cloth as critic acid reacts with baking soda when in contact with any water. Make sure surface is extra dry. Spread a fine layer of powder and slowly rub/sand the surface for a few minutes. Wipe off any crystals when done. If there's still deposits left, proceed to next step.

Melanine sponge. Add a bit of water. Take in as much glucosamine supplements as you can. If needed, red bull and protein drink helps. Rub till you feel you remove a few mm of the glass.

If still cannot be removed, consider sand blasting, laser etching or melting your tank and remolding a new one. For more gentle alternative, ultrasonification works, just need to find one huge enough to place your tank in. Also can try bleach or glass cleaner and soak overnight. If you do that, please soak your tank with water twice over night and rinse thrice before putting in any livestock.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by madscientist; 6th Nov 2010 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

among these agents, which one is the safest while there is a fish in the tank....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast