Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Echinodorus not growing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My Echinodorus Ugur something not growing, last time got bubble a bit, now dont have liao.

Do they grow slow?
    Live and let live, stop using life feeds.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Please kindly give more detail info on your tank parameters and dosing regime.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    leafhorn, i dont think they grow slow. A tiny leave sprout out from the parent plant and bout 1-3 days ltr...it increase alot in length...mine now almost reaching the water surface but dun think will come outr of the water surface.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    leafhorn

first and foremost do you have base fert in your tank? and what is your lighting condition? Can you tell how did you prepare the plant?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I did as normal loh, remove the wool, trim the roots a bit and plant into the substrate, got JBL base fert, lonestar gravel, lightings 3 watt/gal, pressurised CO2, temp 28.

Could the reason be because that they are planted too close together? I plant them about 2 inches apart only. Or must be further?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    help

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    We need to know your tank size, lighting, CO2 levels, fert dosing regime in order to help you.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the usual suspects: Light, CO2 and fertilizers...
    Which echiodorus are you talking about? They are generally easy to grow, but some grow faster than others.

Light: is it shaded?
    CO2: Enough? check using ph and KH.
    Fertilizer: Your base fert enough? It doesn't last forever you know? Do you dose other stuff? NO3 helps alot. You might want to consider plant tabs and sticks also.

There is no magic involved. These are the basic requirements. I will put my money on the fertilizer part, since you mentioned that it was bubbling before.

ck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I doubt it's got anything to do with fertilisation. Plants will bubble if their leaves or stems get damaged. It's quite usual for new Echinodorus to bubble as their leaves and stems easily get broken during the planting process.

I think it could be something to do with the way his Echinodorus was planted. Either that, or the depth of his substrate isn't enough.

To plant an Echinodorus, push the plant all the way in and then pull it out again slowly until the crown is just at the level of the substrate. If you plant it too deep, it won't grow well. In other words, don't bury the crown. If the level of your substrate is too low, Echindorous will not achieve it's full size. The deeper your substrate, the bigger the plant grows.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok ok thanx everyone, I will check the plants and see if they are planted properly. I think I never pull till the crown is out.

Substrate about 4 inch thick.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Took out two of them and saw that the roots had turned brown. What happened? I peel off the brown skin of the roots and replanted. What happened huh?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll agree with timebomb with this.....think you may have cut the roots too short plus the fact that you did not pull the plant up gently till the crown to straighten the roots.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What happened huh?
    ----------------
    Leafhorn, you said you remove the wool when you planted the Echinodorus but did you remove ALL the wool? As far as I know, the roots will turn brown and die if even a little bit of wool is attached to them when the plant is planted. Don't ask me why this happens because I don't know either.

I don't think your problem is because you cut the roots too short. Trimming the roots before planting the plant is to encourage root growth. It won't hurt the plant even if you cut the roots to the quick. It would only make it difficult for the plant to take hold on the substrate, that's all.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Got, I got remove all the wool, it's just me, die die must remove all the wool for all my new plants, if not I feel uneasy, so I am quite sure I removed all the wool.

Maybe my planting technique no good and I might had hurt the roots, hopes it grow back. Also removed a E.horamani to give more space, its growing beside the uruguayenis, but is growing well and the roots had grow very deep and long and white color.]

Thanx for help.