Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help : i think my goldfish laid eggs!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help : i think my goldfish laid eggs!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bought 5 5-6inch cap oranda 1 month ago and started my first aquarium. when I was about to do my weekly rinse of my hang-on filter, i saw some white balls looking similar to uncooked sago in the filter. I am wondering if those are eggs or some fungus. Can anyone advise me how do the eggs look like and what should i do? i do have some nana plants in my tank and i do see some of these white balls around the root of the plant and the sponge of my submersible filter(this was added cos my goldfish really had alot of droppings)
    Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help : i think my goldfish laid eggs

Congratulations, what you found were really goldfish eggs.

I would remove any eggs to a separate tank for rearing. Put in a small sponge filter, and a good airstone to aerate the eggs. Add in some methylene blue (and I mean a little) and wait for a few days to see the eggs hatch. Usually a part of the eggs are infertile and you can see this when they turn white and start to fungus.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh gosh. i have no air stone or extra filter, and i guess my wife is gonna start nagging once i start a 2nd tank!!

problem lies with the eggs are not together and i have some in the hang on filter, some in the roots of my nana plants and god knows how much in the gravel of my tank.. would it be better for me to move my goldfish into a pail or something for now?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You could do that too, but risk the goldfish dying in the pail. If you're not planning on raising the fry, then leave it as it is.

If you are planning on raising some fry, just siphon some eggs to a separate plastic tank for artificial incubation and raising any fry that hatch out. Goldfish are prolific breeders, but most of the eggs are usually infertile. Besides, what you want is quality, not quantity.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help : i think my goldfish laid eggs!!

tks.. i managed only to save 1 egg that is good and that hatched, but the fry died on the 2nd day.. i found some new eggs today after 50%water change yest. but this time round, could not find any transparent egg, all are beginning to turn white..

any idea when goldfish lay their eggs, in the day or night when it is all dark?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help : i think my goldfish laid eggs!!

haha... just found my old post...

Quote Originally Posted by Merviso View Post
    IMHO... Breeding Goldfish is actually very easy.. Used to do it in my school boy days... Hope I still remember it correctly since it's 20 years back...

Sometimes, you will see a mature female goldfish scatter it's eggs a few days after a major water change, especially with cooler water. These eggs can be left to be eaten since it is usually not fertilized, and also it is not likely to be removable anyway.

Once you identified the mature female, select 2 mature males that you wanted it to breed with. Feed them well with good/live food for a few days. 2 males will increase the chances of fertilizing the eggs or more eggs.

In the mean time, prepare a breeding tank with sponge filter and a good floating plants with thick roots. Water hyacinth will be a good choice.

Introduce the 3 goldfish into the breeding tank. The 2 males should start chasing the female within a few days. Once the female is ready to lay the eggs, it will do it on the roots of the Water Hyacinth and the males will proceed to fertilize it. Remove the 3 fish after the process is completed.

The eggs are then left to hatch in the breeding. Some medication for anti-fungus may be applied. Hopefully you will see the fries after some time...

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....