Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So the moss from where?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After reading so much about the interesting moss, anyone knows X Moss from which biotope? SE Asia or S America?
    Live and let live, stop using life feeds.

Feedback Score
    According to the Oriental Plant HandBook, it's called Chirstmas Moss 'South America'...
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    According to the Oriental Plant HandBook, it's called Chirstmas Moss 'South America'...
    ----------------
    For a long time when I was searching for the Christmas Moss, Oriental did not have this plant. I've met the author of the Oriental Plant Handbook and as far as I know, he's the manager of Oriental Aquarium. He once emailed me about the Christmas Moss and said it originates from New Zealand. He could have made a mistake. When I was in New Zealand about 2 years ago, I spent many hours searching among the creeks and streams looking for the moss. I couldn't find anything that even remotely resembles moss. I also doubt the moss is from South America because I've sent this plant to several hobbyists there before. The moss is imported from Taiwan but its origin is still a mystery.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    For a long time when I was searching for the Christmas Moss, Oriental did not have this plant. I've met the author of the Oriental Plant Handbook and as far as I know, he's the manager of Oriental Aquarium. He once emailed me about the Christmas Moss and said it originates from New Zealand. He could have made a mistake. When I was in New Zealand about 2 years ago, I spent many hours searching among the creeks and streams looking for the moss. I couldn't find anything that even remotely resembles moss. I also doubt the moss is from South America because I've sent this plant to several hobbyists there before. The moss is imported from Taiwan but its origin is still a mystery.

Loh K L
    ----------------
    That's very interesting...I'm beginning to get the impression Singaporeans, or you, time bomb, knows most about mosses..can't seem to find any information abt the moss anywhere else.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ahaz
    i don't think it's possible to say that the moss doesn't come from new zealand or south america based on one person's search coming up empty
    south america is very big

for all you know, the first bits were brought back from some expedition and propagated since then, while the source was left alone

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I recall there is a Science Centre handbook on mosses. Anyone got a copy?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sometimes along small streams in Singapore, there are algae like stuff on the banks, are those emersed form of moss?
    Live and let live, stop using life feeds.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i don't think it's possible to say that the moss doesn't come from new zealand or south america based on one person's search coming up empty
    south america is very big
    ----------------
    South America is huge but there's quite an active planted tank scene there. I know because I have a email pal there. They love aquatic plants too and have public forums just like this one. But they don't have Christmas Moss.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh, too bad you didn't christened it "Equator moss" hor?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica