Country
    Singapore

Eriocaulon sp.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Saw this species of Ericaulon in Colorful Aquarium, looks like Ericaulon "Mato Grosso" but with a long white stem! Anyone knows what species is that? Thanks!
    sam | Any bucephalandra fans out there? PM me!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Ericaulon sp.

Anyone here with experience keeping S. American Ericaulon?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hope that some experienced bros here can assist!

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

I keep native Eriocaulon sp from India and my experience is - They need soft acidic water (ADA soil really helps), strong light and CO2 dosing. Please check the attached picture. Hope this helps

Cheers

Vince
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Good news, my Eriocaulon is finally showing some growth after settling in.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I know why nobody help. Very limited experience in most users. Stanchung calls it... "Sp. VoMit blood "

You may need to go APC for help.

Or MAC. Bestest green fingers all there
    Last edited by barmby; 18th Mar 2010 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So this is the infamous "吐血" that I saw in the plant that some LFS are selling. Most of this plant that I saw selling is just in a tiny container, think you will really vomit blood to grow it.
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    I know why nobody help. Very limited experience in most users. Stanchung calls it... "Sp. VoMit blood "

You may need to go APC for help.

Or MAC. Bestest green fingers all there
    Hey bro, thanks for the advice! I don't think it's E. sp. "red" though, nothing red on it! I believe it's called E. sp. "narrow leaf" - xi ye gu jing - is what the uncle at Colourful said, there were 4 of them in his display tank tank then and they're all gone! So I think there are fellow keepers of the plant here

I got another Eriocaulon sp. that the Colourful uncle used for his tank in the most recent Aquarama planted tank competition, looks like a spiky head! Is that the "vomit blood"?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanoob View Post
    So this is the infamous "吐血" that I saw in the plant that some LFS are selling. Most of this plant that I saw selling is just in a tiny container, think you will really vomit blood to grow it.
    I hope not leh bro

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I got another Eriocaulon sp. that the Colourful uncle used for his tank in the most recent Aquarama planted tank competition, looks like a spiky head! Is that the "vomit blood"?
    Yeah.. that is where stanchung gave this golden quote.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you go C328, Seaview and Y934, you will see them selling it in a small container, and on top is the bright red word "吐血". I saw it the first time in Seaview during the Feb outing, and I showed it to Michael (blue whale) but he said he don't want the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by soltari007 View Post
    Hey bro, thanks for the advice! I don't think it's E. sp. "red" though, nothing red on it! I believe it's called E. sp. "narrow leaf" - xi ye gu jing - is what the uncle at Colourful said, there were 4 of them in his display tank tank then and they're all gone! So I think there are fellow keepers of the plant here

I hope not leh bro
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That is E.sp Australia 'Red' & yes Taiwan & HK call them "吐血 gujing" I got 2 batches from Colourful also but looks like hairgrass

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re: Eriocaulon sp.

Strange when people remember what I say when I forget so easily. LOL.
    Colin, the vomit blood name is a species that had red base growing into green tip needles. I believe the Taiwanese coined then name.
    Some guy with vast resources once planted an entire foreground of a 6ft tank with it.
    Unfortunately it's not an easy plant to grow, slow and quite an algae magnet.
    Cool water, bright lights, soil, CO2, ...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    vast resources
    Unfortunately it's not an easy plant to grow, slow and quite an algae magnet.
    Cool water, bright lights, soil, CO2, ...
    Vast resources

Take note soltari007

Chiller is magical. C02 is essential. High Light is an entry level to growth. Plus ADA soil ($$ fly fly)

I guess I don't have to explain much further after looking at your tank which is quite bare. Bare tank means you are very much into algae farming. Sorry for being blunt But it is............ TRUE !
    Last edited by barmby; 20th Mar 2010 at 19:20. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

^^" yeah I don't want it. I rather buy the shorter hair glass version than vomit blood.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha Colin you're right about the algae farming part, but I have really little choice in the matter as my main showpiece fish need cold water, and I only have one chiller-enabled tank. So am slowly increasing the plant biomass and suffering the shame of algae infestation while waiting for the existing plants to gain a foothold :/

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think you know the consequences if you hope one day your existing plants will gain a foothold.

1) I believe it will not happen if you don't plant heavily from day one.

Is your CO2 regulated ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah it's solenoided no choice what's done is done, fish are in, so now just have to see where adding more green plants and diligent water management will lead me. Will increase the CO2 dosing to combat the BBA too

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

When you look at algae, it just means too much nutrients in the water and insufficient plants to makan(Eat) these nutrients. You should look into the way your plant nutrient regime works. A search at AQ such as EI method would help you. Personally I have my own preference. My 2ft is not entirely scape up since I am going to scape it up somemore so nutrients is very controlled at the moment. So far no algae found. Yes I am using ADA Soil as well.