Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Unhappy Help my panda corydoras problems

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    this is it. i've bought 7 pandas and im down to 4...the symptoms are they're fine one day...the next their either dead or there was one i caught today sort of swimming vacantly around slowly...looked like he was trying not to float ie. swimming down and not necessarily the right way up... is there anything that can treat this or any suggestions over what i might be doing wrong? i want to save them thanks for any help!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: help my panda corydora problems

More information regarding the symptoms would be better in aiding you on your problem. If it is having difficulty swimming, they might have swim bladder disease.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help my panda corydoras problems

How was the condition of the C.Pandas when you saw them in your local lfs? From what I know C.Panda are usually more fragile than those common cories like aeneus, sterbai & trilineatus. Usually I will avoid cories which float in the mid tank & those with reddish grills, only go for those which swims actively on the floor area.

Proper acclimatization procedures are also very important to certain corydoras species, had an experience of suffered lost of 10 nos of C.Metae due to this.

C.Pandas & C.leucomelas topped my fatality chart in my cories species.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Question Re: Help my panda corydoras problems

Hmm well I've told you the symptoms...swimming half-heartlyly sideways through mid-water...looked as if he was tryig not to float ie, swimming downwards, stopped, started ro rise again.
    There weren't any problems with them when i bought them...the first batch of 3 all died within a day...i think the water hadn't matured enough...now this next batch one's died about a week after me putting him in. I did however do a 20% water change the day before, but it's not the first one i've done since putting them in...???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help my panda corydoras problems

I can't help you much except to say that C. panda is fairly fragile to begin with. They might have picked up an infection or some other disease while still in the store before you purchased them, and the symptoms are showing only now.

It is highly likely that the one afflicted by the erratic swimming behaviour, might have swim bladder disease, like I mentioned. It is difficult to treat. See below for an excerpt I took off a website online:

Swim Bladder Problems

Swim bladder problems are caused by bacterial and viral infections, or hereditary problems. The swim bladder helps the fish to control its buoyancy, allowing it to maintain its position in the water. Internal bacterial infections can affect its function, making it difficult for fish to maintain position. Fancy goldfish with their short body form are particularly prone to this problem.

Treatment for Swim Bladder Problems

Raising the temperature to 27°C (80°F), adding aquarium salt to a level of 0.5% (5 gm per litre), and using a treatment such as Interpet's Swim Bladder Treatment No.13 is recommended. You should also feed sparingly.
    From here:
    http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/fish_diseases.htm
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Red face Re: Help my panda corydoras problems

that looks reassuringly similar! if it happens to one of the others i'll take him to the store and ask if they can check for it. thanks very much!!!