Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: 24hrs cooling fan?

24hrs cooling fan?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,
    just wondering should we on the cooling fan 24hrs or according to lighting schedule? Just curious because some of us switch it on 24hrs and some people sync with the lighting.
    If it's on 24hrs, the life span of the fan will be shorten. Is that the reason why?
    If it's not 24hrs, the temp will not be consistent then.

Comments anyone?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Get yourself a thermometer to test the different type of schedules...see which schedule give you better results. It's all about heat - most electronics are happier when running in a steady thermal state rather than undergoing endless hot/cold cycles. Just like a lightbulb, in fact. Well, in the end it is you who should decide though...its all up to you. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Hi Peter,
    i get what you mean. I did test the differences and found that 24hrs is better because of the consistent temp. readings. I just wanted to re-assure myself that i'm on the right track.
    Hope that my fan will last and not burn out. Thanks!!
    []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You don't have to switch on the fan 24 hours. The fan and your lights should be swithced on and off at the same time.

When the light is on, heat is produced and causes the temperature of the water to rise. The fan cools down the water by 2-3 degrees Cel. At night, the temperature of the surrounding is cooler and with the lights switched off, the fan should also be switched off to save some $$$ on electricity usage and also to extend the lifespan of the fan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I find that when I on the fan continuously, water temperature is about 1 - 1.5 degC lower on day & night time due to extra cooling at night. This might be an advantage.

However, others prefer to off it after lighting period due to wider PH fluctuation from CO2 loss, which might be uncomfortable for livestock. Still experimenting for a compromise of both.

Feedback Score
    mine's on 24hrs a day along with my co2, the surface disturbance cause by the fan on the water will help remove some co2 from the water when lights are off and plants are not photosynthesizng...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    may i know the fan is blowing on the surface or drawing warm air out of the water.
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    the fans would be blowing at the water surface.
    this is why you will get some surface agitation.
    this will enhance evaporation thus cooling the tank.

you can draw warm air from the tank as well.
    but the cooling effect may not be that great.
    thomas liew