Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help me select a suitable Crypto for small tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I need to find a suitable type of Cryptocoryne for my 2 feet tank. I've tried several types but most has grown too big to suit my design. One of it I've tried is the brown one, posted recently in DEA's tank(so called Wendtii?). All end up giving people. [:0]

Conditions for my choice:
    Leaves must grow horizontally (like Wendtii?).
    Preferably leaves about 5 cm or shorter.

All suggestion are welcome, and let me know where to get it. Spent too much time and money cultivating the wrong kind, hope to make the right choice this time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Crypto Parva, Crypto Neville, Crypto Willisi
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Try the Dennerle or Tropica website. They give details if you can be bothered to sieve through it.

Alternatively, the book from Oriental is quite good (S$35-S$4. They have quite a lot of Crypts for you to choose from and tell you how big they grow and there's good pictures. If you go to Teo's, there's always a reference copy there for you to thumb through.

Once you know which species you like, it's easier to find out which LFS/farm is selling. It should be better than having a whole of list of which LFS is selling what Crypts now and some of these places may even be too out of the way for you. Or they may be sold out by the time you get there.

If the length of the leaves must be 5 cm and below, you only have 1 choice.. Cryptocoryne Parva, as suggested by wynx. This is not an easy plant to grow and not commonly available as it's not popular. A lot of people mistake it for E. tenellus when grown in a bunch. Some of the other crypts have slightly longer but broader leaves, but they spread out, thus not looking so tall.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/1/2003 10:54:17 AM

Some of the other crypts have slightly longer but broader leaves, but they spread out, thus not looking so tall.
    ----------------
    Yes, I'm not looking for tall one, so if you have this slightly longer and broader leaves in mind that spread out, do suggest. I've tried Parva, too grassy look to create contrast.

Dennerle only state the height, not the length of leaves. From Tropica, seems like Crypto wendtii 'Tropica' is the suitable one.

I have this Oriental book, mostly with pictures but not much data on how big they will grow. From the pictures, the choice I have is
    1) Crypto affinis
    2) Crypto griffithii
    3) Crypto pygmaea
    4) Crypto undulata 'Red'
    5) Crypto walkeri
    6) Crypto wendtii: 'Chameleon', 'Green Gecko', 'Tropica', x 'hybrid'

I like Cypto wendtii, but it could be the wrong choice again if I choose the big type. Let me know which type will grow more than 12cm in length for the leaves, so can omit that out in my choice list.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sengyong, wendtii should be the easier you can get anywhere. I just rescape my 1.5ft with mostly normal wendtiis. Its very slow growing and if it gets too big, pluck it off. Wendtii 'tropica' is by far, the most beautiful wendtii sp that i have. But a bit expensive ($6-8/pot, got ~6 pots) as i bought from PS. Anyone know where is it selling cheap?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, will definitely take that into consideration.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    lorba where did u get that wentii tropica