Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to tear up your Hailea chiller. (HC-150A)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to tear up your Hailea chiller. (HC-150A)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_bone View Post
    Hello. I'm using Hailea 150A for my 200l tank with temp set at 26C. My problem is that I think the chiller is taking too long to cool the water down. On average it's taking about 4 hours to lower the temp from 27C to 26C. Is that normal and if it is not, what could be the problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    It shouldn't be taking more than 30 minutes maximum. What canister or pump are you using to feed it? What is its flow rate?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

No, there's no weird noise and cold water is definitely flowing because the temp does go down eventually but taking too long to do it (i.e 4 hours). It was previously used with my 100L tank and it took about 1.5hours to go down 1C. I'm contemplating opening it up today per yr instruction to check the fan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It should definitely not take 1.5 hours to drop 1C in a 100L setup.

Are you double checking the tank temperature with another thermometer? Something is definitely not right. I'm using a HC-150A on a 300L tank at the moment. It took about 30 minutes to get it from 29C to 27.5C.

900L/hr flow rate canister feeding it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

It is connected to a 1000 L/Hr Hailea pump and UV downstream of it. Looking at the outlet I would guess the eventual flowrate is about 500 L/Hr. Yes, I have separate thermometer to check the temp. They are about 0.3 to 0.5 degC different but quite consistent.

My electricity bill has increased almost 40% lately.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm ok its not likely to be a flow rate issue if that's the case, it might either be fan problems, airflow obstruction or a refrigerant leak.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Unfortunately a small cooling system like that on these chillers means a small leak will result in a very noticeable drop in cooling efficiency, if it's not the fan, it's most likely a leak somewhere.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

It's not the fan. I took out the casing and the fan is working fine. I also measured the flowrate (using calibrated container and timer - very crude measurement) and found the flow to be around 210 L/hr. Is that too low?

I took out the UV filter to improve flow and now is running/testing the cooler again. If it still doesn't work, I'm taking it back to the shop. I'm just about had it with this cooler.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

210 might be too low, is the chiller constantly kicking in and out? You know it is working when it's humming and the fan is spinning.

During the entire time it's taking your tank down to the set temperature, is it constantly running full bore? Or is it kicking in and out?

If it's 100% on all the time, there's something wrong with the chiller, if it's kicking in and out, there's something wrong with the flowrate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

It's running continuously for 3 to 4 hours until it reaches the set temp, i.e not kicking in and out. It always get stuck at 26.4 degC for almost 2 hours and slowly go down to 26 degC thereafter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

210 L/hr is probably way too low, I think 400 L/hr is the minimum for this model.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Is it possible to attach an external cooler fan (similar to casing fan for pc) at the outlet vent of the chiller and wired it up with the chiller's fan in parallel? I thought of providing better cooling for the chiller. BTW I have changed my pump to 1300 L/Hr and it's taking about 1 hr 15 min for temp to drop from 25 to 24deg C. An improvement compared to before but still too long, I think.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What is your ambient temperature? Going from 25 to 24C might take awhile for 100 Litres, how long does it take to go from 29C down to 26C?

Is the unit getting enough ventilation and are the front and back at least 2ft away from a wall?

Is your chiller located inside a cabinet?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Not too sure about ambient temp, around 31 deg C I guess for indoor malaysian weather. The chiller is located at corner of my living room. back is about 1.5 ft from wall and front is clear. I'm thinking of connecting it with an external fan to blow the hot air away from the corner, i.e improve the ventilation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12