Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ecco 2235 enough???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My new tank is 4x2x2 ft and the volume should be 400 plus litres. What I have is a Eheim Ecco 2235, which is design for tank up till 300 litres. From the figures, it sure no suitable to use this 2235 on my tank, but, in actual application, do we really need a more powerful filter? Please enlighten. Thanks.

Thought of getting the Eheim's Pro II, but my 2235 is a brand new set, never use before....seem a waste!!! Any advise please?
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    AnA, I'm afraid its too small for yr 4ft, try to provide a filter that is much higher than what its required.. u might wanna run both together, it helps circulate the tank better, increase yr bio load = increase fish load, or u can sell away yr 2235 and get a bigger one for yr 4ft

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/2/2002 9:37:01 AM

AnA, I'm afraid its too small for yr 4ft, try to provide a filter that is much higher than what its required.. u might wanna run both together, it helps circulate the tank better, increase yr bio load = increase fish load, or u can sell away yr 2235 and get a bigger one for yr 4ft
    ----------------
    I have thought of selling the 2235 and get the Eheim ProII 2228. But, now also thinking of getting the Ph controller...and also the newly bought tank. Wah, spend too much already!!! I think I should go for the filter instead of the pH controller as it is more important for now. Right? Please give advise. Thanks.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi AnA

Have you considered running both the Ehiem 2028 Pro2 and the 2235 togather for a double filteration system?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

If you are into planted tank, the 2235 is sufficient for your 4ft, IMO. If for fish rearing, than go for a Eheim Pro series

I think it's best to get have larger than the printed filtration for your tank. The listed specs are for optimal conditions, so if you add filter floss, a surface skimmer, most likely, you're not getting enough filtration for your tank.

So, either add an additional filter or get a larger Eheim Pro 2

BTW, how much did you pay for your 4x2x2 and from where?

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well.. u can never duplicate the same environment of that in the nature.. it is 100% filtration every minute of the day.. hahaha.. either go for a bigger filter or run both at same time.. and your tank will be more stable when coming in terms of bio-load.. less volatile..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/2/2002 12:14:49 PM

hi AnA

Have you considered running both the Ehiem 2028 Pro2 and the 2235 togather for a double filteration system?
    ----------------
    Yes, I have, but just do not like the idea of have too many hoses since two filters sure need more hoses. In this case, should be four...hummm...just do no like the idea.
    [] []
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi AnA, if u r interested in selling ur 2235, please keep me posted.

Cheers.
    When driving, make sure your mata is not on the wanita!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for your tank size, you should look at a minimum of 2228, 2028, if for a single filter. and depends on your setup, you need more than this.

filters are greatly overrated. if they say they can do 300l, take it as 100-150 to be realistic. And i believe that eheim filters are largely developed along the lines of densely planted aquaria. The green tube and pipes are a good hint.

so this recommended guideline should be discarded more in the case of tanks with large fish, or high fish load, and little to no plants.

i recommend a single 2228 as minumum. Personally if i am you, and if i have the space below the tank, i will just go for 2250.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's quite safe to say that you'll need to get another filter and the best choice for you is either 2228 or 2028.
    I think your concern is when you put in 2 filter, the hoses will be quite unsightly. Well... it's up to you, if you think it's too weird to put in 2 filter then put in 1 only. If not just put in both (which I recommend too). Afterall, you're the one going to be the looking at it most of the time, might as well you do whichever method you like best.

Anyway, you would need to run both in the tank first so that the bacteria can colonise in the new filter before removing the old one. Then if you don't like it then remove it.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Just wondering if anyone connects their 2 filters in serial, ie

Tank Inlet -> Filter1 -> Filter2 -> Tank Outlet

?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i do that.

but there are a few points to take note.

one impt thing is that the inlet must never be pressurized.

it depends on what model you are using. you need to adjust the height of filter #01 and #02 accordingly with respect to one another.

My serial connection is 2x2217 for one of the tanks. (actually the output from the canister is further sprayed over a overhead container filled with ehfisubstrate for another layer of trickle filtration...so effectively thats 3 filters in series ..abt 15 litres of filtration.) .
    with the classic series, both of them can be placed at same level. for pro series , filter #01 will be higher than #02 coz of the design.